Community Message Boards

Thread: Ingredients in London food markets

Ingredients in London food markets

My dear future DIL has asked me to help her prepare a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner for my #2 son when he visits Thanksgiving weekend in London.

Am I right that all the convenience foods we rely on are not available over the pond?

She has asked me for menu and recipes. I would like to keep it simple but if products aren't available, that's not simple.
    Fortunately Scotty is an excellent cook and can fill in the blanks when he gets there
    Menu is simple:
    Turkey (would prefer suggesting breast for 2 of them, but Scotty prefers dark meat)
    Gravy
    Stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Candied sweets
    Butternut squash
    Canned cranberry sauce
    Pumpkin pie squares
    Scotty is going to get back to me with his menu.
    Must say I love this as a long distance act of love for Dasha and me.

If canned cranberry sauce is not available, it's easy to make and either fresh or frozen cranberries should be available. There are also British brands of cranberry chutney that should be readily available (at least based on the brands I can buy in the international aisle of my supermarket).
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Maybe a large department store might have a section of imported foods like they h.ave in Germany. Jarred whole cranberries may be available as well as fresh. If she's living in London,she could probably find these things. Is she British or American working and living there? She sounds like a very thoughtful young woman.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Maybe a large department store might have a section of imported foods like they h.ave in Germany. Jarred whole cranberries may be available as well as fresh. If she's living in London,she could probably find these things. Is she British or American working and living there? She sounds like a very thoughtful young woman.
    She is Russian. She has lived in London as a student who is now working there. I have yet to meet her so we are bonding by e-mail. She wants to give Scotty a traditional Thanksgiving and needs guidance. I have no idea what she has available in kitchen items as a young single person but Scotty can help me with that.

I seem to recall a thread a couple years back along the same idea, where it came out that canned sweet potatoes are impossible to find in the UK, and (at least then) fresh ones were pretty hard to find too. So not sure how the candied sweets will go. And of course, the fresh ones may be more readily available now since they're more popular in general, but I think canned sweet potatoes are a uniquely American thing.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Our daughter spent five years in Glasgow, Scotland, permanently leaving in 2008. Her recollection of trying to make an American Thanksgiving meal was that turkeys are not available in November. Only turkey drumsticks. Their turkey meals are at Christmas.

Canned sweet potatoes were not available and canned pumpkin was only found in a specialty store.

Richard

I am come a cross to your site and found it according to my need and demand.
    Martone421

Quote Originally Posted by rjbq View Post
    Our daughter spent five years in Glasgow, Scotland, permanently leaving in 2008. Her recollection of trying to make an American Thanksgiving meal was that turkeys are not available in November. Only turkey drumsticks. Their turkey meals are at Christmas.

Canned sweet potatoes were not available and canned pumpkin was only found in a specialty store.

Richard
    Does anyone have recipes for drumsticks?
    Scotty decided one mashed potatoes rather than candied sweets so we're all right there. If there is no pumpkin, is there winter squash?
    In my googling I found Whole Foods in London. Is that a good direction to send Dasha?
    PS: They are in LOVE. He will understand her intentions.
    Last edited by margeslp; 11-23-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martone421 View Post
    I am come a cross to your site and found it according to my need and demand.
    Reported
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Does anyone have recipes for drumsticks?
    Scotty decided one mashed potatoes rather than candied sweets so we're all right there. If there is no pumpkin, is there winter squash?
    I would think that roasted turkey drumsticks would be great, but I like the drums anyway. I would rub them with some olive oil and use some chopped fresh herbs (or dried) and roast at 325 for 1 1/2 or until they reach 180.

If no winter squash are regular sweet potatoes available? They make a great pie. Jamie Oliver uses sweet potatoes in a number of recipes and that makes me think they are not totally foreign to the British supermarket shopper.
    ______

Elizabeth

Got e-mail from future DIL:

"Many thanks for your recipes and tips! You explain everything so clear! I have a big store in few stations from canada water. I just checked their website and looks like they have everything. I'm going there tomorrow. Hopefully I will get all products"

Lordy, I haven't thought about holiday food shopping in a big city without a car!!!! Good thing she's young and in love!!
    I simplified menu with Scotty's help to
    Turkey and dressing
    cranberry sauce
    butternut squash
    mashed potatoes and gravy
    pumpkin pie cake squares