Community Message Boards

Thread: A Good Rice Cooker?

A Good Rice Cooker?

Was just looking at the other post about 'what we can't do', seems to be a ton of us not being able to make rice properly. I bought a cheap Salton rice cooker and everytime the rice was brown on the bottom, so took it back.

Can anyone please give the name of a really good one that doesn't make the rice brown on the bottom? Oh and approximate prices. Thanks so much!
    Elaine

steamers?

i'm on my second rice steamer, the first was black & decker, my current on is a sunbeam, i have never had a problem w/ burning. i have always, until recently, cooked rice this way, but i noticed that it was taking forever for the rice to cook, so i tried it in a 2qt pan on the stove. i can't believe how quicker it is this way! i might just retire my steamer.

tammy

I bought my mom a 10 c Zojirushi last year and she LOVES it. I have a really old no-brand one that works fine, but it doesn't have a no-stick finish--Zojirushi is the way I'll go when I decide to replace mine. It was about $50, I think.

They have smaller ones for less.... a 3c. one I think.

I have a Black & Decker steamer and it comes out prefect every time.

I have a Zojirushi also and I love it. The rice will always darken a little on the bottom because of the heat, no matter what kind of cooker you have, but if you turn it instead of letting it sit for too long while the heat is still up high, it should be OK. Oh, and for comparison's sake, my Zojirushi was over $100.

Our eight year old Salton finally bit the dust, so knowing that I could not serve one meal without rice (goodness, no rice at dinner????) I went out and found a new one. We now have a Tiger. It is beautiful! Really, very pretty. What is even better is that it makes **perfect** rice - every time! Unlike our old Salton, which did dry out certain types of rice (I am thinking brown here) and sometimes even burn the rice, I have yet to not have perfect rice in this! I picked this one up at the base exchange, but I think Tiger is a brand you can get in the states too - maybe Kohls? Good luck - rice cookers are the best!!!

rice cooker

I also have a Zojirushi -- the "fuzzy logic" one. It makes perfect rice every time. I wasn't sure about the need for a rice cooker before I got this one, and I've never been sorry. I ordered it about a year ago at Costco online. They had the best price I found when researching it. I think it was a little over $100.

I have two by Aroma (big & small). I know that they have several styles/qualities, but I got mine at William Sonoma. I loved the first one so much that I keep the small one in our RV. I think the small one was around $50 and the large one close to $100. I know you can get less expensive ones, but I have had others that didn't compare.

I'm going to go against the flow here and say my heavy stainless 2 quart saucepan. Throw in your rice, water, salt (butter if you like) and bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off and let sit another 10 to 15 minutes and its done! I cook rice about 3-4 times a week. Note the above recipe is for white rice only, directions for brown rice differ totally.

My mom has a rice cooker because we all used to tease her about never being able to leave the lid down (rice wouldn't cook). She has since retired it and gone back to the stove method.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

My best friend gave me a Black & Decker Rice Cooker Plus for Christmas last year. It has a great non stick surface BUT it burns asian brands of rice??? She buys her rice at a store in Chinatown. Everytime I use authentic asian brands of rice it burns. I now use Uncle Bens Converted Rice. I still get a layer on the bottom that forms a dark brown crust. I would not recommend this brand. Her's was bought in the Phillipines by her MIL!

Re: rice cooker

Originally posted by Katie R
    I also have a Zojirushi -- the "fuzzy logic" one. It makes perfect rice every time. I wasn't sure about the need for a rice cooker before I got this one, and I've never been sorry. I ordered it about a year ago at Costco online. They had the best price I found when researching it. I think it was a little over $100.
    I also have this model. I just got it a few weeks ago for my birthday. The thing that I really love about it is that it has a timer function! I love being able to set it in the morning and have rice ready for dinner when I get home. Quite honestly this has made brown rice a bigger part of my diet!

Cheryl