Community Message Boards

Thread: Best Way to Peel An Apple

Post Best Way to Peel An Apple

As I sat in my kitchen this evening peeling apples for applesauce, I thought...there must be a better way!

I peel apples the way I remember seeing my grandma do it...she would take a knife and peel the apple in one long strip.

Okay, I know you are all very innovative and probably have some great ideas. I know there are some peelers available out there for a pretty penny but I really don't have the space to keep one of those.

Suggestions please.

I do my apples the same way. But, I have found that when peeling, the smaller the knife the better. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Lesley....If you peel mounds of apples frequently for applesauce and apple pies, etc. then the only way to go is to purchase an apple peeler. This is the type of appliance that peels, cores and slices at the same time. Otherwise, if you do not want to invest in one than the way you are peeling is the only way except using a potato peeler which in my opinion is more work than using the knife.
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

The Apple Peeler Slicer Corer...

I have an apple/peeler/slicer/corer and can use it for apples, as the name would suggest, and potatos--can even make curls for curly fries. I got it as a free item in a kit I purchased and may not have bought it on my own. However, when I tried it I loved it. It is amazing how fast it can speed up the making of an apple pie. Just my $.02.

I would recommend an apple peeler as well. I got mine last year at Lechters for about $15 which was well worth it even for the small amount of apples I peel. I can core, peel and slice apples for a pie in about 5 minutes - as opposed to probably 30 minutes the old way.

Question But why peel the apples in the first place?

I just cut them up into 1/8ths, and sometimes I don't even core them.

Put them in the pan, add the liquid, bring to a boil (till I can hear the liquid boiling) then reduce heat and cook till the apples are mushy. I remove the peels and cores by putting them in something like a food mill (It's a tall, cone-shaped thing with a wooden pestle sort of thing, and of course I can't remember the name of it).

It works just fine for me for applesauce and apple butter. (Which reminds me: I must get some apples from the local orchard this weekend and make my annual apple butter.)
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

DH got his mom and me an apple peeler. When I am only ppeling one or two II use the potato peeler but for more the apple peeler does a great job...easy and fast...

Pampered Chef

Buy the Pampered Chef peeler. It's really cool! You can purchase it off their web site www.pamperedchef.com.

I am also apple-peeling impaired. But for applesauce, I agree with beejayw1 above, that the only way to go is core the apples, quarter them, simmer till soft, and then pass through a food mill. The skins stay behind and you get great applesauce!

But I'm still interested in apple peeling tips, because I get frustrated peeling enough for just a small pie!

I use the regular potato peeler, then cut the apples into quarters and remove the core.
    Curleytop

Knife? Peeling apples with a knife? Geesh! No wonder you are frustrated - I can't imagine trying that! Like Curleytop I just use a vegetable peeler - potato peeler, carrot peeler, whatever you want to call it. A cheapo metal one will work just fine but I have an Oxo Good Grips one that I love and I think it was probably around $3. I can take the skin off in one long strip and it takes me about 30 seconds. Then I just quarter the apples and use a knife to slice out the core.

Can't Buy Pampered Chef« Prodcuts on the Web Site

I was referring to the PC peeler in my previous post but didn't want to mention as I didn't want to look like I was soliciting (I am a hobby consultant). Although you can see the products on the PC website you still have to order through a consultant. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Peeps
    I can take the skin off in one long strip and it takes me about 30 seconds.
    Eeesh! This is exactly what I can't do and long to be able to do! I've tried with a knife, I've tried with a peeler, and all I get is lots of bits of apple peel and nicked fingers and knuckles. What's the secret to the "one long strip"???

Gertdog- I don't know what the trick is - lots of practice I guess! It never seemed like a big deal to me - when I think of all the things I can't do in the kitchen (I didn't even post on that "what can't you do" thread because my list would have been a mile long), I never ranked apple peeling as a special skill or anything!
    Make sure you have a SHARP, good peeler (the very thought of using a knife scares me - I'd have chewed up knuckes for sure if I did that!) and I start as close to the stem as I can get. Usually after I've done the whole apple I have to go back for a few quick peels around the stem area since it can be tough the get in there where the apple curves in to the stem. That's about it, sorry I don't have any magical suggestions!

I just did this last night

I bought the grocery store flat kind of peeler that also cores. I love it.. I core an apple first, then I stick my thumb in the hole and haul away with my right. My mothers sent me one of theose mount on the counter jobs but the few times I tried it it seemed to take a lot more of the apple with it that I would have liked.
    I always have those thoughts about potatoes. I HATE peeling potatoes.
    In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him a dog

Well, I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions that have been left. You gals always come through.

I'm actually invited to a Pampered Chef party on Monday evening, so I'll have to check out the apple peeler.

Thanks again.

I highly recommend the apple peeler-corer-slicer gizmo! I don't have one and never used one until a couple of weeks ago. My sweetheart has one and when I volunteered to make apple crisp at his place he offered up the peeler he has. Amazing!!! In about 90 seconds I had six apples all ready to lay out in the pan! I'm not one to have a special appliance/utensil that only does one job, but now I need one of these. I love apple crisp and this whiz-bang gizmo makes incredibly fast work of those apples, giving me more time to pay attention to the main courses of dinner.

He's coming tonight and bringing it along for me to use again this weekend. Last year's October issue with all the apple crisp recipes is on the table and I can't wait to experiment. By the end of the weekend I'll be at Kitchen Etc to purchase one of my very own, no doubt!

I don't have but have always wanted the "apple/peeler/corer/slicer" from PC. I just couldn't justify the purchase for a single use tool. BUT! I was invited to a PC party 2 weeks ago and mentioned to my MIL that I was going to finally buy one. Well she told me a secret! She had my kids the weekend before and they were using hers and thought it was neat! So she's having my kids buy me one for my birthday. The downside is I have to wait another month for it.

I do presently core, peel and chunk up an apple every day with a knife for my DS's lunch, (soak it in lemon juice so it doesn't turn brown on him). It will be nice to have this and just whip out an apple everyday for him!

Ann

Pampered Chef Apple Peeler

When you see how the PC apple peeler works, you'll want it. Hopefully they'll do a demo at the party.

I never would have bought the PC apple/peeler/slicer/corer on my own, but a year ago August I hosted my first(and only, so far) PC party. It was one of the featured products that month if you sold a certain dollar amount in products. Well, I sold well over the required amount so I got this free. I really like it, but I don't take it out for peeling only 1 or 2 apples. I mainly use it in fall for pies, sauces, crisps etc... My kids also get a kick out of it. They love to play(and eat!!!) the "apple spaghetti" (the strip of peel) as it comes off the apple.

So nice to see good reports about our (PC's) Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. I had another brand many years ago and it just didn't hold up. I've had mine since I started the business almost 6 years ago, and it still works like a charm. What's really nice is that you can JUST peel your apples (not just peel, core and slice them). What a time-saver.
    Last edited by chefbec; 10-14-2001 at 09:30 PM.

Another vote for the peeler/slicer/corer. This thing is great and saves a great deal of time. One of my daughters bought this for me after hand surgery so that I would not have to peel with my hands.

I also have the PC peeler. It's great! But it sliced the apples thinner than I was used to, so the first time I made apple crisp with it, the apples became mush (I cooked it just as long as I do when I hand-slice the apples). I've since bought an additional part from PC -- it's a different metal rod that's thicker than the original one -- makes thicker slices. Or, just cook the apples for a shorter period of time.

Just to let you know, we don't sell the Thick-Slice Attachment anymore. It was obviously not a big seller, and to be honest, I've NEVER used it (and I got it free). I find that the slices are perfect, but we all have different palates, so whatever works for you!

I'm an old fashioned gal!!

Oh goodness, my vote is for my peeler! I have used the apple peeler/corer/slicer at work, and it is handy if you are doing tons of apples, but I just like to "get to know" the apples.

I guess it's a romance thing, I sit down with my cutting board, my knife, my favorite peeler and a bucket for the peels. I peel with a heavy duty peeler where the head doesn't swivel. It is by far the best and fastest peeler I have ever worked with. And I have peeled apples since I was a "wee-thing" beside my mother. I no longer use the ones that have the swivel head, and I have tried the "in-hand with paring knife" style, but it doesn't work for me.

I did apple butter just yesterday, my first batch of the season anyway, and I really wouldn't give up peeling the apples by hand. Sure it's faster with a machine, but that's one more machine to store in my lack of space kitchen. I think its a peaceful way to pass the time and prepare my butter, which takes most of the day to cook, puree and cook some more before I finally process it around dinner time!! Many butter recipes say not to peel, but I like the smooth butter without any red tint to it. Mine is usually a nice amber, and now it's tradition, so that's the way I make it!!

Tami

...and I'm still searching for another peeler like I have. It's an F.Dick and I have yet to find another straight, no-swivel-head peeler!!!!