Community Message Boards

Thread: pumpkin somethin' (risotto question)

Hybrid View

pumpkin somethin' (risotto question)

I'm eager to try CL's Pumpkin Risotto With Prosciutto (see recipe below). But there are two hitches I hope you all can "unhitch":

1. Do you think I would lose much by using canned pumpkin instead of fresh cubed? Obviously, the texture will be different (perhaps along the lines of pumpkin risotto soup), but how about the flavor?

2. As a vegetarian, I'll want to exclude the prosciutto (and sub vegetable broth for the chicken stuff). Should I substitute some sort of tofu bacon, or just deal with the missing dimension?

Maybe one of these days, I'll visit a pumpkin packing plant to express my thanks to the folks/machines that do all of the crunching for us! (or maybe, I'll walk away aghast and never eat pumpkin again )

Pumpkin Risotto With Prosciutto

FOR 6 SERVINGS:
    2 cups cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (about 1 pound)
    3 cups low-salt chicken broth
    Cooking spray
    2 cups finely chopped onion
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1 ounce very thinly sliced prosciutto, or lean ham, chopped (about 1/4 cup)

1. Steam pumpkin, covered, 15 minutes or until tender; set aside.

2. Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.

3. Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add rice; saute 1 minute. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add warm broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 18 minutes total). Stir in pumpkin; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and remaining ingredients. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup).

CALORIES 187 (11% from fat); FAT 2.3g (sat 0.8g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 6.3g; CARB 35.6g; FIBER 2g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 2.6mg; SODIUM 240mg; CALC 50mg

Oooh. I really would not use canned pumpkin in this recipe. I hope I don't sound brutal here, but I think it would be just disgusting. I think you'd miss out entirely on the recipe without the tender, sweet cubes of pumpkin. It would be like pureeing asparagus for a Risotto with Asparagus.
    But I could be wrong.
    As for the proscuitto, it might seem less complex without the extra flavor, but I'm sure it would be good without it.

Emily
    the fresh pumpkin using advocate
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

I haven't made this particular recipe so I can't comment on the pumpkin aspect, but I can say that I really like the smoky/saltiness of "meat" with the sweetness of pumpkin. That said, i keep a vegetarian kitchen and really recommend the new Boca (Vegetarian) Smoked Sausages. Just steam them like they recommend for about 10 minutes and then dice and saute them in some olive oil for about 3 minutes. I used these in the Cheesy Chile-Chipotle Bowties and it was a great substitution!
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

Originally posted by emilycat
    I think it would be just disgusting.
    Come on, Emily, tell us what you REALLY think.

Seriously, I think you're right. That would be like making butternut squash risotto with jarred baby food squash. Yuck!

Well, when you put it that way, it makes me sound really rude!

Seriously, I didn't mean to sound snooty.
    but I still think you should use the fresh stuff.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

disgustingly refreshing!

Hey, the reason I asked is to get frank responses. I actually laughed when I read your response, Emilycat!