Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you cook sausage?

How do you cook sausage?

Hi, everyone! I was just wondering how you cook sausage. I didn't like it for a long time, so I didn't used to make it. I usually cook it on the grill. If you cook it in a pan, do you brown it at high heat, then turn the heat down? Cook it only on low heat? Put water in the pan; not put water in the pan? I usually wind up with the pan getting black and burned, but the sausages aren't done yet.

Barbara, you can really cook it however you like. I'd say medium heat if you're doing it on the stove-top so the inside gets cooked.

A good way to do it is to boil it for a few minutes before "frying" it. Poke some holes and drop it in the water. This way some of the fat comes out. My friend's Sicilian mom taught me that.

You can boil 'em too. Do you have a grill pan? that also works.

good luck!
    ann

Cool

amcleod said it. There are a kazillion ways of cooking it. For me, it depends upon what kind of sausage it is and what I'm doing with it. Italian sausage, for example, normally ends up in a pasta dish. I just break it up and fry. Bangers get boiled then broiled. Kielbasa gets pan-fried. Knackwurst gets boiled. Breakfast sausage is either pan fried or in some cases cooked for a few minutes in a covered fry pan with a tablespoon or so of water, then browned without a lid. Every so often, we'll just buy an assortment of different types of sausages and throw 'em on the grill.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Here's what I do with the hot country sausage we like to eat once in a while:

I cut it in 2-3 inch pieces, put them in a skillet, and add some water, about halfway up the sides of the sausages or less. Simmer the sausage, lid on, for a while, turn them, simmer some more, then remove the lid, turn up the heat to boil away the water and brown the sausage.
    Simmering them helps cook them and some of the extra fat winds up in the skillet to brown them, instead of on my hips!

With patties of ground meat, which I'm assuming wouldn't handle the water-simmer technique, I just put them in a skillet and brown them, fairly low heat to make sure to cook them all the way through, then at a higher heat to brown them.

Hope this helps.
    I don't let myself cook sausage very often, because when it's around, cooked, we eat it, all of it.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your suggestions! Actually, I was thinking of Italian-type sausage (hot for DH; sweet for DD), either to go along with pasta or as sausage and peppers. For me, pasta was a meatless meal, but not DH. Costco recently had a special on varieties of turkey sausage (and had personnel giving out samples of the varieties). I bought the sundried tomato variety. I cooked it once as suggested by the salesperson (which also involved adding shrimp, a pricey dish). Next, I'm going to use them in a Weight Watchers sausage and peppers recipe.

My favorite way to cook sausage is with my George Foreman Grill. It's quick, and the fat drips off in to a small pan that comes with the grill. I thank Lisa from our supper club for yet another recommendation!
    Cindy

If I am just cooking some for pizza/pasta, I remove the casing (unless it was already bulk sausage, which I can't get in turkey varieties here, but I digress...) and I nuke it.

Who says cheaters never prosper?

Daney

sausage

I bake fresh polish sausage for sausage and saurkraut. I simmer smoked sausage, or it goes right on top of stuffed cabbages and bakes along with that. Brats are simmered and them plopped on the grill. I brown Italaian sausage for pizza, or I bake it first, slice into rings if I am making a saucy, layered pasta dish. I think that is what I will make for supper tonight since I told DD that I would bring dinner. Vicky