Community Message Boards

Thread: Cake Mix "Upsizer"

Cake Mix "Upsizer"

The downsizing of cake mixes was discussed in this thread some time back. It was suggested you add flour to compensate. I just came across this mix for up-sizing, in case it can be of help to someone.
    Haven't tried it yet, but have high hopes for making SheRa's Margarita Cake again.

1 1/2 cups AP flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Whisk all dry ingredients together and store in a clean jar.
    When you wish to increase a 15.25-ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add 3 ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your cake mix and bake according to directions.

ETA: Using sugar in the "upsizer" makes me think of Beth's Sugar Creep thread
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Thanks for the info. Where did you find this info? I'd like to pin it if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post

ETA: Using sugar in the "upsizer" makes me think of Beth's Sugar Creep thread
    To be fair, cakes are a little different. The texture of the cake depends on a certain balance of sugar to flour, eggs and fat. You can probably reduce it some, but if you left it out and used much to upsize your mix, you'd probably notice it. And cakes are meant to be sweet. Entrees and veggies though????

And thanks for posting this BTW. I copied it for future reference. I have two recipes I like that start with a mix and haven't made them in some time.

Duncan Hines

Went to the commissary yesterday and looked at cake mixes just for the heck of it..........Duncan Hines mixes were 16.5 oz and wonder if you would need to "upsize" it??

One of the recipes I use specifies an 18.25 oz cake mix, so you're almost 2 oz smaller. It's about a ten percent change -- enough to notice, but probably not disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Thanks for the info. Where did you find this info? I'd like to pin it if possible.
    http://www.jillcataldo.com/cake_mix_..._to_1825_ounce
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

LeaHamm, I just read your signature line. I don't know how long you've been using it, but I laughed out loud. Thanks. I needed that.