Community Message Boards

Thread: Let's Talk Bread -- we haven't in quite a while...

Let's Talk Bread -- we haven't in quite a while...

As I am sitting here at work and my mind wanders (sometimes it does, especially when I am hungry) and I start to think of food...I sit here thinking of luscious, crusty, steaming hot bread...fresh out of the oven!!! cut and get crumbs all over the counter...the butter melts on it...oh enough of that! I admit it...I am a Breadoholic!

Anyway, I was thinking of making a loaf of the bread from the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day dough I have at home in my refrigerator...and then I began thinking chocolate and wondering if after this is gone if I could come up with a chocolate yeast bread that tasted like chocolate...anyway...have you made bread lately? What have you been making? Want to share your recipes?
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

You're in luck! This recipe appeared in CL many moons ago, and it's one of our favorites. It's especially good with a very light schmear of peanut butter. I'm sure you could modify the recipe if you don't have a bread machine.

I need to start making bread more often--my bread machine died a few months ago, and I've been trying to make do without it. There's nothing like throwing all of the ingredients in the machine in the morning and then coming home from work with that fresh-baked smell in the air. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a new machine...

Chocolate Bread

Ideal for peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches, this sweet bread is also good toasted and spread with jam.

Cooking Light JANUARY 2001

Yield: 1 (1 3/4-pound) loaf, 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients

3 cups bread flour
    1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
    1 tablespoon butter

2 teaspoons bread-machine yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    1 large egg yolk

Preparation

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Follow manufacturer's instructions for placing flour and the remaining ingredients into bread pan, and select the bake cycle; start bread machine.
    Alicia

Alicia,

Thanks! I don't have a bread machine but don't mind working with my hands...in fact I love working bread dough with my hands. I'll have to try it, probably this weekend when I have a longer block of time free...

Any other bread being baked out there?
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

I haven't baked any in quite a while. When dh was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last fall, bread landed on the "only eat every now & then" list. Now that he's dropped quite a few pounds and learned to modify his eating habits it's not so forbidden. I still have bread flour in the pantry, so maybe I'll make a loaf next time he's home.

Like you, I enjoy kneading the dough by hand. That's something that's missing with the Artisan in 5 recipes. I've gone back to a favorite French bread recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    What's your favorite French bread recipe, Charley? I was noticing that Sur la Table is running a class on baguettes and brioches and it was very tempting. We struggled with baguettes for a long time and then watched our friend in France making them and got some excellent tips. Armed with her recipe we've been making quite decent ones for a while now but it's always interesting to hear other people's methods.

I used to do Artisan Bread in Five Minutes recipes, but then I found a whole wheat sandwich bread on King Arthur's site that I found easier and that sliced better than the artisan types. I did have to spring for a wooden form to cut the bread for sandwiches, though, since my electric version tore the bottoms of every slice.
    Can you share your KA whole wheat recipe, please? It it is easier than Artisan Bread in Five Minutes it might be a good thing to have!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

I made a chocolate bread once from Taste of Home. It was... interesting. It was very good, but I guess when I was thinking of a chocolate bread, I was thinking brownie, cake, quick bread with a sweeter taste. This was not that. But it was good, and I've always kept it in the back of my head as an idea for a wow piece- a bread to make for a baby shower or something.

Chocolate Braids

I've been baking a lot of bread, but I'll confess that it's mostly white bread. I use an unbleached and unbromated bread flour, and it's just our favorite. This particular recipe I tweaked from an Amish cookbook. It's very soft and good for three days or so. It's great freshly sliced, toasted, turned into croutons, etc. I don't think I ever throw a heel out. I bake bread by hand- I used to have a KA, but I didn't like the texture of the bread when it wasn't hand-kneaded. I just finished up a few slices of this toasted for breakfast with some homemade blueberry spice jam on it. Delicious!

Basic White Bread

makes 2 loaves of bread.
    1/4 cup warm water
    2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (or 1 packet)
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 1/2 tablespoons organic palm shortening
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups warm water
    5-6 cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water and the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the honey, shortening, salt and water, and mix well. Add 3 cups of the bread flour and stir until the dough is smooth.

Now start working in the flour 1/2 cup at a time. Once it become difficult to work with a spoon, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead by hand, adding flour as needed. You’ll want to knead for 7-10 minutes total, or until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. (If you use sugar instead of honey, this will take less flour.)

Place the dough in a bowl that has been oiled and turn to coat. Cover the dough and let rise for 2 hours.

Grease two loaf pans with your preferred grease.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the bread in half, and roll each half into a loaf. Once shaped, place the loaves in the prepared loaf pans.

Cover, let rise for 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place the bread in the hot oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool completely on a rack before slicing.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I made a pesto swirl french bread yesterday - smelled fantastic. Not having it until tomorrow though. Will report then!

Blueberry spice jam, mrswaz? Do tell what spices you use. One of my most well received Christmas jams was a plain blueberry.

I keep saying that I will be brave and make bread--conquer yeast, if you will --but, when I do attempt it, it never goes well. My last attempt was an oatmeal bread that ljt2r posted.

Zingerman's offers a sourdough with chocolate--intrigues me. I suppose because I think it will be similar to a chocolate croissant, but better because you could toast it.

This is the recipe I follow for Blueberry Spice Jam. It's from a Better Homes and Gardens book on canning and preserving. It's my favorite of all the jams I make- tastes like blueberry pie in jar and is amazing on a hot toasted English muffin spread with some butter.

Blueberry Spice Jam

3 heaping cups of fresh blueberries
    3 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon- heaped
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves- heaped
    1 pouch liquid fruit pectin (Certo brand)
    optional: 1/2 teaspoon butter

Directions:

Wash blueberries and remove any stems. Place about 1 cup of the blueberries at a time into a bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork. Measure 2 1/2 cups of crushed blueberries.

In a 6 or 8 quart dutch oven or kettle, combine the berries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves. (Add the butter if using.) Stir together and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. When the full rolling boil has been achieved, add the pouch of liquid pectin. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Quickly skim off any scum with a metal spoon. (If you use the butter, there won’t be any scum.)

Immediately ladle the hot jam into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch head-space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when the water returns to a boil). Remove jars from canner and cool on racks. Makes between 5-6 half- pints of jam.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Thank you! That's the perfect way to enjoy any jam!

Bread

I've been in a bread baking mode lately. I made a Norwegian dark bread with molasses last week and husband liked it but to me it was too sweet. Next I baked some Seeded Sourdough No Knead which was wonderful. Then I made hamburg (Moomies) buns from KA. Now I have at least 2 loaves of bread in freezer.

Alicia -- thank you for the chocolate bread recipe...I converted to a bread made by hand...It baked up to be quite dense but very good. I didn't add quite 4 ounces of chopped chocolate, more like 2 - 2 1/2 ounces, and I added 1/2 tsp of espresso powder to the hot water with the yeast. I will be making it again...Had a slice this morning with PB for breakfast...

Next time I will try the KA Whole Wheat (didn't have any whole wheat flour this weekend) or the white bread and I will keep the chocolate braid in mind for the next brunch...it sounds really good.

Thanks for the good ideas. If there are any others out there I am always willing to try them!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3