Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to drain frozen spinach?

What is the best way to drain frozen spinach?

I have been using frozen spinach for years for stuffing mushrooms and stuff like that. But I am afraid that my method is a) time-consuming & b) wasteful

Basically I leave the frozen spinach box out on the counter for a couple hours (or in the fridge overnight).

Then I remove the still half-frozen block of spinach and place in a colander (how do you spell that word?) I let it sit in the sink or on the counter over a plate and I press it from time to time with paper towels. The paper towels soak up A LOT of water. I end up wasting so many of them. Then my garbage can is filled with green colored paper towels soaking wet.

How do you thaw & drain spinach? And just how much water do you remove from them? I usually get the spinach pretty dry.

I place the frozen box of spinach in a colander in the sink and let it thaw. I then wring out the spinach like laundry to squeeze out the water, then let it sit a bit and wring it again. This works well and no paper towels are required.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I do it the same way you do. I'll be interested if anyone has any better suggestions.

Laura

If I'm in a hurry, I microwave it on a microwave-safe plate or in a microwave-safe bowl on very low power (about 2 or 3). Otherwise, if I'm smart enough to plan in advance, I thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or let it sit out in a colander in the sink at room temperature like the others suggested.
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

I also thaw it out in over a large bowl in a colander. I then take handfuls of the spinach and squeeze with in my hand. All the liquid comes through my fingers. I have found that this is the best way to get all of the liquid out of the spinach. Works for me??

Duh...you asked the best way to drain, not the best way to thaw. Just disregard my post altogether.

Originally posted by Leonard
    I then take handfuls of the spinach and squeeze with in my hand. All the liquid comes through my fingers.
    That's what I do too. One of my most hated tasks. Ugh.

I place it in a colander and smash it with the back of
    a spoon. Sqeezing it by hand sounds easier though.

This is my least favorite kitchen chore!!
    DoDo

I use my potato ricer to squeeze the water out and it works like a charm. In fact, it's about the only thing I use my potato ricer for
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

I use the "Rachael Ray method" (at least she is the first person I saw do it) of placing the microwave-thawed spinach into a clean kitchen towel and squeezing out the water. You end up with a dirty towel, but it works great.
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb -- and I'm also not blonde."
    Dolly Parton

I also squeeze out the water with my hands - but I'm not nearly as forward-thinking as all of you! I usually take it out of the freezer when I need it - put it in a sieve, and run cold water over it until it thaws enough for me to grab a handful and squeeze.

I like the RR method though - may have to try it. Once it's thawed of course ...

Originally posted by KLynn
    I use the "Rachael Ray method" (at least she is the first person I saw do it) of placing the microwave-thawed spinach into a clean kitchen towel and squeezing out the water. You end up with a dirty towel, but it works great.
    Yup.

BOB

I nuke it, put it in a colander and then squeeze it with a spoon or my hand by pressing it into the colander. I may have to try the Rachel Ray way too.

I'm with Candace on this one--i use my potato ricer--i bought it specifically for this reason (it was cheap anyway) and it is by far the best way to get all the water out IMO! works like a charm and quick too--i used to squeeze it with my hands, but it took too long for me, ms. impatient-in-the-kitchen

Originally posted by KLynn
    Ditto!

The absolute best way I've found to drain/dry frozen spinach is to use a SALAD SPINNER. The trick is to evenly distribute the weight of the (wet) spinach in the basket. It may take 2 or 3 sets of "spins" (emptying the liquid between each) to dry it completely, but the spin method is very effective. Of course, this will only work if you have a salad spinner. And it's no great pain to clean the residual spinach bits from the spinner basket.

-- GG

The method that works for me? Have DH do it. (I think he uses his hands - but I've never paid much attention.)
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

I also nuke and use the potato ricer. Works great!

This is getting to be almost as exciting as that "When do you change your dish sponge?" thread from a few months back!

BOB

Originally posted by bobmark226
    This is getting to be almost as exciting as that "When do you change your dish sponge?" thread from a few months back!

BOB
    So very true. LOL.

I have tried wringing it out by hand before, but it never gets enough water out. The absorbing with towels seems (for me) to be the only way to get it dry.

Maybe I need to squeeze it harder, let it rest, then squeeze some more?

A potato ricer... what does that look like?

Here's an exciting way, that sounds odd, but I have seen with my own eyes that it works, wrap the spinach, still in the box or out which ever you prefer, in two kitchen/tea towels, secure the spinach inside, pull up all the sides of the towel {like you would wrap a bottle in tissue paper}, and wrap the top with rubberbands to secure it, {make sure its really wrapped tight and secure with bands} toss the spinach in the washing machine on spin for about 5 minutes, they'll be bone dry!

When my friend told me about this I looked at her like she was nuts, until she showed me how well it worked. She said if the spinach is in the box and wrapped in towels it never really touches the machine.

Originally posted by Tizzylish
    wrap the spinach, still in the box or out which ever you prefer, in two kitchen/tea towels, secure the spinach inside, pull up all the sides of the towel {like you would wrap a bottle in tissue paper}, and wrap the top with rubberbands to secure it, {make sure its really wrapped tight and secure with bands} toss the spinach in the washing machine on spin for about 5 minutes, they'll be bone dry!
    Yes, but it would cost me a dollar and a quarter to do this and I'm not sure the other tenants would be thrilled at my tying up a machine so I could make manicotti.

BOB

LOL! Yeah, I guess for someone without a machine at home its not such a great idea.

Originally posted by sunberst

That's what I want to know.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Originally posted by sunberst
    Imagestation is not working for me, so here's a link. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00029OQ8G

I hate mine - it's just way too big and ungainly. Maybe if I got one that was a bit smaller....

Originally posted by lindrusso

Imagestation is not working for me, so here's a link. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00029OQ8G

I hate mine - it's just way too big and ungainly. Maybe if I got one that was a bit smaller....

Hmmm.....I never knew what a Potato Ricer was either, but the link says its a way to puree fruit and vegetables for Baby's food. DS starts on solids in a few weeks, and I wanted to make his own baby food. Has anyone ever used one of these for that before?

(PS How weird that Im reading this thread since literally 5 minutes ago I took some spinach out of the freezer wondering the best way to thaw and dry it!)

(PS How weird that Im reading this thread since literally 5 minutes ago I took some spinach out of the freezer wondering the best way to thaw and dry it!)
    Don't forget the fabric softener!

BOB

I also use my potato ricer, and it works like a charm. Mine has held up quite well, and it was not that expensive, either. And on a rare occasion I might even use it to rice potatoes !

Karen

One of the tips in this October's Cuisine at Home was to use a French press coffee brewer to drain spinach. I haven't tried this myself, but it seems like it would work very well with a minimum of mess.

Patrice