Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Crab Cakes (with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing) April 2014 issue

Thumbs up Review: Crab Cakes (with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing) April 2014 issue

I made these crab cakes last night. They were SO easy and SO good! When I mixed everything up, it didn't seem like there would be enough binder to hold the cakes together but they were perfect - almost all crab. I used regular light mayo instead of canola mayo. Don't think it makes any difference except in the nutritional stats, I guess. I served it with sauteed garlic spinach instead of over lettuce leaves. I didn't make the buttermilk dressing (like one of the reviewers, I didn't want to buy a whole container of buttermilk) so I just threw together some things - ranch dressing, yogurt, dill, chives, a little mustard. Trader Joe's has 8 oz containers of lump crab for $8.99 which isn't too bad. They aren't huge lumps, but I think that's better to help keep the crab cakes together.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crab...0400000134173/

Crab Cakes with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Cooking Light APRIL 2014
    Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 crab cakes and 2 tablespoons dressing)

Ingredients

Crab cakes:
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon canola mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
    3 tablespoons canola oil, divided

Dressing:
    1/3 cup whole buttermilk
    1 tablespoon canola mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 small garlic clove, grated
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
    1 teaspoon minced fresh dill, divided
    Bibb lettuce leaves

Preparation

1. To prepare crab cakes, combine first 6 ingredients (through egg) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in panko. Add crabmeat; stir gently to combine. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes.

2. Divide crab mixture into 8 equal portions; gently shape each portion into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 patties to pan; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove patties from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil and remaining 4 patties.

3. To prepare dressing, combine buttermilk and next 4 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons chives, 3/4 teaspoon parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon dill. Arrange lettuce leaves on a platter; top with crab cakes. Spoon dressing over crab cakes; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chives, remaining 3/4 teaspoon parsley, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon dill.

Thanks for posting the recipe and the review. I just copied the recipe. I really like crab cakes but never made them at home.

Thanks again!

I just picked up my April CL magazine last night for the first time and being on the cover, this recipe really got my attention. Thanks for the review. I can't wait to try it.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."