Community Message Boards

Thread: YUCK! Blood-tinged egg!

YUCK! Blood-tinged egg!

We were cracking eggs for banana-walnut buttermilk pancakes this morning...egg #2 when opened contained all this blood-tinged albumin...GROSS! Has anyone ever seen this before? Needless to say, we tossed the mix and started over again. I told DH, I betcha someone on CL BB has seen this and knows what it is!

Sorry to share something so yucky first thing in the morning!

I'm not an expert on this, but I wouldn't use a blood-tinged egg.

One of the big things I remember my mom teaching me when I first started to cook is to always crack eggs into a separate bowl and THEN add it to your mix. Her reasoning was for just what happened to you - if the egg is bad and you add it directly to your mix - then you have to toss the entire mix. BUT...if you crack it into an empty bowl first - you can just toss that one egg and try another.

tracey

If I remember correctly, if there is blood in an egg, it has been fertilized......yep, a visit from Mr. Roaster.
    I've been taught to always toss them. Anyway, it too gross for me to use any if it can.

Tracey, your Mom and my mom must have gone to the same school or grown up together or something, because that is exactly what my Mom taught me too! (Although I will admit I don't always do it, but I always think about the fact that I'm taking a chance......now maybe I'll start doing it again!)

Grace, isn't it funny some of the little things we remember?

You know, after YEARS of doing this, one time I was in a big rush and, for the first time ever, skipped this step. I was making a cake, rushing, and very distracted. I cracked the egg directly into the mixer (I think the mixer may have even been running at the time ) So, of course, the entire thing -- shell and all -- falls into the mixer. I stopped it immediately and really thought that I could get out all of the shell bits. Later that evening as DH and I CRUNCHED into our first bite of cake, we BOTH knew otherwise.

Ah well...back to mom's way.

tracey

Very gross related incident

Last Easter my Mom was boiling eggs, and well, I won't give you the details but she heard, um, peeps....she thought she was losing her mind. She had just turned on the stove after letting the eggs come to room temperature, but she turned off the water, and listened. Nothing. This happened several times, and she finally decided she was losing her mind.

When she went to crack the eggs open she was met with a horrific surprise. She was traumatized and threw out all of the eggs.

Needless to say, it took both of us a while before we were able to use eggs again. If I hadn't heard to story directly from her I wouldn't have believed it. How could this possibly be? [Maybe it was just her excuse for why she didn't bring over the deviled eggs she promised]. I hope I didn't upset you all too much.

Oh, Catharine, that is awful. Where did your mom buy the eggs? Were they from a regular supermarket?

Originally posted by Laura B
    Oh, Catharine, that is awful. Where did your mom buy the eggs? Were they from a regular supermarket?
    Yes - the regular supermarket where she always buys eggs. So upsetting!

Cool

Here's the official word on blood in eggs, per the American Egg Board (www.aeb.org ) I guess I'm a minority here, (or maybe it's 'cause I'm old ) but I've seen quite a few eggs like that. I just fish out the blood and go on about my business...

BLOOD SPOTS
    Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally, these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

Wow! All this bloody egg info...who knew! Catherine...that is truly awful. Wow...

I must say that the bloody part was not just a spot; the whole albumin seemed to be pink/red... Weird.

Good reminder, Tracey, cracking eggs separately. I will be doing that until the memory of my yucky egg is so distant that I think it won't happen again....

I remember seeing blood in one egg I cracked a long time ago. I'm sure we threw it out. I think what had to be even more gross than that was cracking an egg and having it be rotten. The smell was horrendous!

Okay you experts, whan causes an egg to become rotten?