Community Message Boards

Thread: Sides with Orange Braised Chicken Thighs with Green Olives ??

Question Sides with Orange Braised Chicken Thighs with Green Olives ??

I am planning on making this chicken dish possibly for Monday food delivery. One of my food clients (who will be getting this meal) has many many food allergies : no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no nuts, no dairy, no gluten, no corn, no beans. I'm probably forgetting something.

The dish has orange juice, cumin, green olives, onion in it and is delicious!!! I was thinking a veggie & possibly a slaw (vinegar based something that will last a day or so).

Any ideas? I would love some help with this! TIA!!!
    Jeanne

That sounds a lot like my Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine recipe.

Would this Moroccan salad meet your client's allergy requirements?

Moroccan Zaalouk Salad ~

2-3 green peppers, or eggplant, or both
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    3-4 small tomatoes, chopped
    1 medium onion, minced
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon parsley, minced
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    olive oil

Broil the green peppers and eggplant until the skin burns black. Put in a paper bag, cool and remove the skin. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat; when onions are soft add the peppers, tomatoes, red pepper flakes and spices. When the tomatoes soften add the tomato paste; lower heat, cover. simmer 15-20 minutes. Cool before serving, sprinkle with parsley.

Can be served either as a sidedish or a dip with Pita Chips (or vegetable chips?)
    -------------
    How about a side dish of zucchini that has been halved and cut into chunks (not sliced) and braised until just barely tender-crisp, (1-3 minutes.) Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with lemon pepper.
    Last edited by LeaHamm; 06-21-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaHamm View Post
    That sounds a lot like my Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine recipe.

Would this Moroccan salad meet your client's allergy requirements?
    YES! Looks great! Thank you!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cucumber & Melon Salad with Feta, Black Pepper & Mint ~

1 teaspoon lemon zest
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 honeydew melon, large dice
    3 pickling cucumbers*, medium dice
    1 tablespoon fresh mint, or 1 teaspoon dried
    1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled

Whisk the lemon juice, zest, pepper and salt to combine. Whisking continuously, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until incorporated. Pour over the melon, cucumber and mint. Refrigerate until the flavors blend, 1-2 hours. Top with the Feta and season with pepper. Serve with a slotted spoon.

* Use pickling cucumbers such as Kirby, if possible.
    Last edited by LeaHamm; 06-21-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Orange braised carrots?

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/reci...cipeID=887&S=0 you could switch up the herbs to help it complement a little more.

This is another carrot recipe, but it works with any veggie that can be roasted: http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes...-spices-recipe I've done asparagus and broccoli this way.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Elizabeth,

Thank you! Both carrot recipes look good! However I think I will make the 2nd carrot recipe! Looks simple and yummy.

If sweet potatoes are OK, you can do mashed or roasted.

A quick google search gave me these ideas: (http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/saladsandsidedishes/ )

Artichoke hearts (grilled or in a salad),
    Zucchini (grilled or as a salad),
    eggplant, grilled or baba ganoosh (sp?) style,
    Green beans,
    Beet salad,
    roasted red peppers,
    Cauliflower (you can make it moroc. style or simple so as not to compete with the other flavors),
    Fava bean salad (or any other beans)
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'