Community Message Boards

Thread: Summer crock pot recipes?

Hybrid View

Summer crock pot recipes?

Anyone?

I'm in a horrible food rut. I tend to put the crockpot away in the summer but it is so darn convenient.

Any ideas?

You can do spareribs in a crockpot; that and the Big Green Egg are my two favorite methods. But I'll be watching this thread for other ideas. I like crockpots, too.

The crockpot rotisserie chicken is pretty simple and, depending on the size of your family, there are leftovers for salad or sandwiches.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Chicken in Slow Cooker ~

1 whole chicken
    1/4 cup liquid smoke

Season and place in slow cooker, breast side down. Pour liquid smoke over the chicken, cover and cook on Low until done (4-6 hours - depending on slow cooker).

Cashew Chicken ~

1 1/2 pounds chicken 1" cubes
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 large green pepper, sliced
    8 green onions, 1" pieces
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 cup water
    3/4 cup cashews

Add soy sauce and water; cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute. Stir in cashews.
    Slow Cooker - Cook on Low 3-4 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice. (To pour over the chicken and rice, double the sauce ingredients.)

Pork Burrito Casserole ~

pork roast
    1 can enchilada sauce, mild or hot
    flour tortillas
    onions, chopped
    cheddar cheese, shredded
    Spanish rice
    pinto, or black beans
    chunky salsa
    sour cream, or Greek yogurt
    cilantro, chopped

Cook pork and enchilada sauce in the slow cooker on Low about 7 hours. Drain and shred. Heat tortillas, fill with meat and a little juice. Roll, envelope-style, and place in casserole seam-side-down. Add more enchilada sauce, or meat juices, and sprinkle with shredded cheese, Bake 350 degrees, until the cheese is melted. Serve with Spanish Rice, beans, chunky salsa, sour cream and cilantro.
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Crock pot meals scream heavy food /wintery food to me. Certainly a pork shoulder would be a good choice for some Tex Mex dishes as well as a whole chicken to shred . I have many recipes pinned and would be happy to share if you could narrow it down to what you would enjoy! I agree, the CP is great in the summer to cut heat, but I don't think the recipes are summery.

I actually have a peach glazed pulled pork with a bourbon sauce in the crockpot now. Do you have July's CL? that is where the recipe came from, I really like it ingredients, so different, it has a smoked paprika rub, in addition to the peach preserves, it also has balsamic vinegar and mollasses. I will post a review tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Crock pot meals scream heavy food /wintery food to me.

Crock pot is a year round thing to me. #1 benefit in the summer is that things can be prepared easily while you are out having fun and that it doesn't warm up your kitchen

Plenty of recipes scream summer to me, there are plenty of shredded bbq chicken or beef recipes where the meat ends up in buns or as taco filling.

The one I think of the most though is French Dip sandwiches. I use the crockpot 365 blog recipe

http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca/2008/...andwiches.html

- 2 lbs thin pieces of steak meat
    - 1/2 T sugar

- 2 T butter

- 3 cups beef broth

- 12 oz bottle of
    Redbridge beer
    - 1/2 t black pepper

- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
    - 1 yellow onion, cut in rings
    - 3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic

- 1 t gluten free Worcestershire sauce

Put the butter into the bottom of the crockpot and turn on. Add the meat, garlic, and onions, and swirl around in the butter.

Pour in the broth, beer, and cooking sherry. Add pepper and Worcestershire sauce.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours.

If your meat is still in large chunks, remove it carefully, and slice. Return the meat back to the broth.

Serve on rolls. I made rolls from the Whole Foods 365 bread mix, and added some cheddar cheese to the sandwiches. Traditionally, gruyere is used.

Dip the sandwich into the broth before each bite for a nice juicy flavor and consistency.