Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP! No stiff peaks in my meringue!

HELP! No stiff peaks in my meringue!

What am I doing wrong? I'm following this recipe I have for meringue cookies and I can't get a stiff peak to form?

It includes:

3 large egg whites
    3/4 Cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. Cream of tartar

Add crm of tartar to egg whites.
    Whip to thick foam.
    add sugar a little at a time till it holds a stiff peak.

Does temperature of the egg whites make a difference? Is there a difference between one kind of refined sugar to another kind? Should the eggs be beaten first?

I'm new at this, but I remember reading that eggs at room temperature beat up fluffier, and I also remember that you're supposed to beat the eggs nearly to 'soft peaks' before adding the cream of tartar. I could be wrong on that! Anyone else?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Egg whites beat best at room temperature.

One other thing, there can be NO trace of oil anywhere on the beaters, bowl, or any speck of yolk in with the whites. That will also cause whites not to whip to stiff peaks. But other than that, I can't think of what the problem would be, except that maybe you didn't whip long enough?

Did you mix it for a really long time? For me, the task always takes longer than I expect. I always forget it takes at least 10 minutes, if not more, with the mixer on the whole time to get peaks. I always worry it will never work, but eventually it always does.

Chris

Also, if I remember correctly, you shouldn't use a metal bowl.

Copper!

For whatever reason, using a copper bowl makes egg whites beat better. And ditto the room temperature and impeccably clean beaters.