Community Message Boards

Thread: Any input on "timed bake" features?

Any input on "timed bake" features?

Hi to everyone...I'm new to your boards and had a question for you. It was suggested I post here, so here goes.....I was wondering what all of you thought about the timed bake feature on your oven?? Do you use it? Do you feel it's safe to use?? I know my mom used to use hers frequently, and oh would it be convenient, but.........just don't know.

What do ya think??

Thanks for any input,
    LuAnn

Good question. I haven't read the book on my oven, so I don't even know how to use it.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.

--Thoreau

I have never used it. However, the meat, if taken from the fridge and put in the cold oven, should probably be good for a couple of hours, at least. But, since it is meatloaf, and the meat ground, it would go "off" much sooner than a roast. I would check out some sites that might have "safe handling" info, rather than rely on the oven's info. Maybe there is a "Beef Board" with this info somewhere out there.

I always have thought that a good invention would be an oven with a refrigerator feature. It could refrigerate your dinner during the day, then turn to an oven and cook your dinner so it is ready when you get home.

I was telling DH last night that we should hire one of our neighborhood kids to just come in and turn on the oven for us. That would be so nice!

I have used the timed bake feature for years (including meatloaf) and I loved it when I was working. As long as the meat reaches the correct internal temp there shouldn't be a problem (ground meat should always be cooked to well-done). After all, what's the difference between that style of cooking and a slow-cooker? Meat in a slow-cooker is at off-temp for a very long time as well.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

YES I USE IT I have an Electric Oven. Would not use it with gas, since the pilot light makes the oven warm.

Be sure that you haven't used the oven right before you put it on automatic start because it is still warm inside. The electric oven (when not in use) is cold inside.

Sometimes, when you still have to go out for something, you can put in your roast, or chicken and if you don't make it home on time it still will start cooking. Of course when you use the delay feature, it has an "on time" and an "off time". This way it won't continue to cook even if you forget!
    Curleytop

I use it for frozen stuff - very convenient!

I often use the feature when we have a kids' event just before meal time. I put in a frozen meatloaf and set it for 90 minutes at 300. That works well. For a brunch dish after Sunday morning swimming lessons, I put in a frozen oven french toast souffle (CL April? 2000).

I generally add about 50% of the cooking time, and lower the temp about 25. When my cooking time is up, my oven automatically drops to 200, a good "keep warm" temp.

Hope this helps.

Cool

I'd rather have a kitchen elf. (which reminds me, where IS our kitchen elf, Greg, these days?)

Seriously, in the ten years I've had this oven, I have NEVER had any use for the programmed bake feature. I just don't use my oven all that much. Maybe that's a large part of it. Now suddenly after all these years the light bulb suddenly flashed over my head. Why don't I use it for preheating? (I have an AMAZING habit of forgetting to turn my oven on.) Just think! I can sit here typing stupid comments, while my oven turns itself on and preheats.

Oh boy! I'm excited now. After all this time, a new toy!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I did cook a meatloaf last night using the timed bake feature and I'm still kickin' so far. The food is only in there for two hours or so before I get home, so I'm thinking maybe if I make sure the things are good and cold they should be alright by the time the oven turns on. Not something I plan to make a habit out of...but if I need to once in a while it would be nice to know it won't kill us..

Thanks again to you all!