Community Message Boards

Thread: Bridgford Frozen Bread Loaves = Trouble

Red face Bridgford Frozen Bread Loaves = Trouble

Has anyone ever used these? Well, I bought them on a whim since I had a coupon and paid 99 cents for a package of 3 loaves. I'm not a baker so I thought it would be nice to bake a loaf of bread for my son. Of course I remembered after I bought it that I had tossed the loaf pan I had about a year ago so I decided to make rolls.

I thawed a loaf overnight in the fridge and rolled it out in a retangle. I then proceeded to brush melted butter on the dough, then added fresh snipped rosemary and some grated parmesan cheese. Rolled up the dough long ways and cut into 12 pieces, placed in muffin tin, let the dough rise again then baked. Mind you, these were only for my son but here is my sad story...I ATE THREE OF THEM TODAY . Oh my, they are really, really good. So light (and I don't mean in fat and calories!) and tasty. I swear, I will not eat one more (tonight anyway !) .

Anyway, the moral of the story is, for those of you that don't bake your own bread, give Bridgford a try but just have more willpower than I had!

BTW, I made these to go with the Cheddar Chicken Chowder everyone raved about. Very yummy!

I have used the frozen bread dough before and it is very good for frozen dough.

I tried it out after I first bought my specially shaped Pampered Chef bread loaf pans. I used them for appetizers. They were quite yummy and attractive.

That sounds soooooo good. I'll bet you could try all sorts of different "fillings." Sort of like what CL has been doing with the refrigerated breadstick dough lately. What a great way to make a quick and easy "homeade" bread to serve with a yummy soup or salad. Thanks for sharing!

I use Rhodes frozen doughs and I've always liked the results. It's a great substitute for when you're not up to making homemade.

Diane,
    I used to use these in the pre bread machine days. The honey wheat were good too! In fact, one of my cooking teachers had worked for their test kitchen at one time. I have a really good stuffed sausage bread that I would be happy to post if you or anyone else is interested.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Please post the recipe for stuffed sausage bread, Wendy. Sounds yummy!

Will do, Elinor. Will have to make a note to myself to bring it in tomorrw.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Lately we've gotten into making Quick & Easy Foccacia with frozen bread dough. Thaw the dough, roll it flat, poke holes in it with your fingers and top it with chopped herbs, sliced or crushed garlic, thinly sliced onions and a bit of olive oil. Put some cheese over the top (asiago or parmesan), bake at 450 for about 8 minutes, even better if you have a baking stone - use it. My kids are nuts about it.

You guys are terrible...

giving me so many ideas on what to do with the 2 remaining loaves! I just have to keep telling myself, moderation is the key !

Robyncz, that was exactly what I was thinking while making the rolls - Oh, what else could I put in the dough!

Adrianna - Foccacia is a great idea!

Shuh - You know, I've seen Rhodes brand but I don't think it was California(?), I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Hi Wendy! Don't you dare post the stuffed sausage bread recipe . Absolutely just kidding! That sounds tempting. I wish they made a whole wheat frozen dough but I'll have to check out the honey wheat (they were all out so I bought the white bread dough).

I usually never make it past the first page of the BB so I'm glad I saw this post again!!