Community Message Boards

Thread: evaporated skim milk recipes?

Question evaporated skim milk recipes?

I just opened a can of evap. skim milk to use in a muffin recipe today, and have about 3/4-1c left. I may just end up diluting it and using in place of regular milk, but instead, does anyone have a recipe calling for evap milk that you'd suggest?

Thanks!

Bev,
    Thanks for that tip. I was not aware of that substitution. I made a cinnamon-scented rice pudding from a CL recipe my MIL sent me. It called for 3 1/2 c 2% milk. She used 1/2 skim and 1/2 evaporated skim milk. When I made it, I used a can of evaporated skim milk and the rest skim. It turned out good!

Lightbulb

How about a recipe for evaporated skim milk instead that you can use next time. For 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk, combine 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk. Thank JoAnna Lund's cookbooks for this. I use it all the time for muffins and such.

BevP -- Thanks for the suggestion! I've passed up some recipes before that had evaporated milk in them because I knew I'd have leftovers...but that's a great idea!

Connie -- Would you mind posting the rice pudding recipe? It sounds wonderful!

Carrie,
    I tried to find it in CL's recipes, but couldn't, so here it is as it was printed, not as I made it:

CINNAMON-SCENTED RICE PUDDING

3 1/2 c 2 % low-fat milk, divided
    1/2 c short-grain rice, uncooked (used arborio)
    1/3 c sugar
    1 T margarine
    1 (3-inch) strip lemon rind
    1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 c golden raisins

1. Be sure to use short-grain rice because it produces a softer, creamier texture.

2. Combine 3 c milk, uncooked rice, and next 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring rice mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Combine remaining 1/2 c milk and egg, stirring with a wire whisk. Gradually stir about one fourth of hot rice mixture into the egg mixture; add back to the rice mixture, and stir well.

4. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard lemon rind and cinnamon stick. Stir in vanilla and raisins. Serve warm or chilled.

Yield: 6 servings (1/2 cup each)
    226 cal, 7.1 g pro, 5.6 g fat, 36.9 g carb

I also prepared it in a double boiler. I did cook it almost 5 minutes more that the 40 minutes mentioned. Enjoy!

Two other CL recipes with evaporated skim milk are pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust from Nov/Dec 1991 (uses 10 oz evap sk milk) and scallops florentine (uses 3/4 c evap sk milk) from the Complete CL cookbook. I'll post recipes if anyone is interested.

I've had good luck freezing leftovers in a small jar (leave some headroom). You can thaw it in the micro at medium power.

It is timely for such a recipe. I hope you like it. I think I'll make it for Halloween.

PUMPKIN PIE WITH GINGERSNAP CRUST

1/3 c regular oats, uncooked
    2/3 c gingersnap cookie crumbs (about 15 cookies)
    2 T margarine, melted
    2/3 c sugar
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 1/4 c evaporated skimmed milk
    1 - 16 oz can mashed cooked pumpkin
    2 eggs

1. Position kinfe blade in food processor bowl; add oats. Process until finely ground.
    2. Combine ground oats and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Press into a 9-inch pieplate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
    3. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer 1 minute or until well blended. Pour into prepared crust, and bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Chill 2 hours before serving.

9 servings, at 180 cal, 5.4 g pro, 5.2 g fat, 28.6 ga carb

from CL Nov/Dec 91

Smile

Another good CL recipe that uses evaporated skim milk is the Mexican Chicken Casserole. I can't remember what issue, it was sometime in 1999. It's a big favorite in our house, and tastes even better reheated the next day!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! You guys are great.

SusanD--I'll have to look up the Mexican Chicken Casserole recipe. Sounds like something that would go over well with us.

Connie--The pumpkin pie recipe sounds great! I'll definately have to give it a try.