Community Message Boards

Thread: Apple recipes anyone???

Hybrid View

Question Apple recipes anyone???

Our local apple orchard is just about ready for picking and I can't wait to take the kids and go! Last year a bunch of us put together an "apple party". We all had to bring something made with the apples we picked. We then got a sample of all the goodies and voted on the top three. I'm looking for some really yummy apple recipes to try before this year's big "event". My apple crisp won a prize last year but I'd love to try something else. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

My mom makes a yummy apple torte that has a crust, cream cheese based filling, apples and sliced almonds on top. If you would like me to post this recipe, let me know and I'll be happy to!

Thumbs up

CL's cinnamon-apple cake is marvelous! If you don't have it on hand, check in out in the web site recipe finder.

I love to make apple recipes also so I have a few for you to try!
    Apple Bread- this is great and easy to make! You don't have to have a bread machine, so if you like making bread you should give this one a try.
    Waldorf Salad is also good this time of year since apples are in supply! There is a thread for that recipe.
    Enjoy!

Talking

Originally posted by Shelly:
    My mom makes a yummy apple torte that has a crust, cream cheese based filling, apples and sliced almonds on top. If you would like me to post this recipe, let me know and I'll be happy to!
    Shelly-Can you please post that recipe when you get a chance? That sounds fantastic!! Thanks! Sue

Andrea,

Could you please post the recipe for apple bread? I was looking for a good recipe for that last year at Christmas (I like giving different kinds of breads to all the relatives it seems like I'm always driving to go see around the holidays!) and I don't have one for apple bread. Thanks so much!

Ohhhh yes! Shelly and Andrea please post your recipes! I can't wait to try them! I may have to pick up some apples at the store tonight!

Thumbs up

I got this recipe from the old CL board and tried it this weekend. It's really wonderful!

Oven Roasted Applesauce Nov.98 issue of Martha Stewart Living
    makes 2 cups
    1/4 cup brandy or cider
    1/2 teasp ground cinnamon
    pinch of ground cloves
    1 teasp freshly squeezed lemon juice,plus zest of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablsp of packed dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 granny smith apples,peeled,cored,and cut into eighths
    3 mcintosh apples,peeled,cored and cut ino eigths
    pinch of salt
    heat oven to 375 degrees.in a 12 x 14 inch roasting pan or an 11 x 17 inch baking pan combine the brandy,cinnamon,cloves,lemon juice and zest,brown sugar and butter.add all the apples and toss.roast until the apples are very soft and golden brown abot 30 minutes.transfer apples to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth.stir in the salt.serve warm.

The Honeyed Apple Torte from CL Sept 99 is delicious - even gets better the next day. I highly recommend it.

The Fresh Apple Coffee Cake in The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook sounds wonderful, let me know if you'd like it posted...it's made in a tube pan using 4 cups of fresh apples and seems very light with only 188 cal and
    5.4gm fat per slice!

Does anyone make baked apples?

I used to have an excellent butter rum baked apple recipe and can't seem to find it.

Anyone have something similar?

(Oh, and here's the thread everyone...)

[This message has been edited by lorilei (edited 09-20-2000).]

Smile

I'm not sure how well this would work for a sampling party - but I just made the parmesan crusted chicken with apples and leeks and it wonderful -- very flavorful and elegant. Something I'd definitely serve for company and it seemed very Autumn-ish with the apples. It was part of the Cream article from April 2000.

I will post the apple bread recipe tonight, it's at home!

OK, I finally found it!! I actually got this one from my daily email recipes, but I know it's the same one my mom makes. You could easily lighten this one by using Neufchatel cheese..................

TESSA'S APPLE TORTE

Serves 12. Per serving:
    277 calories, 16.4 grams fat, 3.8 grams protein, 30 grams
    carbohydrates, 59 milligrams cholesterol, 139 milligrams sodium, 1.2
    grams fiber.

Crust
    1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup flour

Filling
    8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg, at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Topping
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    4 cups peeled, thin apple slices
    1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Crust: Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla; blend in flour. Spread
    mixture over bottom and 1-1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
    Filling: Cream cheese and sugar; blend in egg and vanilla. Spread mixture evenly over crust.
    Topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon; toss apples in mixture. Spread over cheese layer. Sprinkle almonds on top. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees; bake 25
    minutes longer. Loosen from pan rim and cool before removing from pan.

YUM YUM!!!!!

My mom makes the best pork chops stuffed with apples. Okay, so it's not a dessert, but it was one of my favorites growing up. I also found a good recipe for pork chops with apples and apple jack which was really good. I see the October CL has lots of good apple desserts in it. I want to try the apple tort. I should be off to the orchard soon myself! I recently picked some macintosh apples, but my husband wants some other varieties.

Shelly, thanks so much for posting your recipe! It looks great!! I think I'll give it a try this weekend and use the lighter cream cheese. I'll let you know how it tastes!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsReber:
    [B I see the October CL has lots of good apple desserts in it. I want to try the apple tort. I should be off to the orchard soon myself!

I just got my October CL issue today and am eager to try several of those recipes. If anyone else has a favorite out of these let us know!

Hi!
    I just went apple picking and had to get through 2 huge bags of apples in a few days because we were moving.

I made a bunch of apple butter and canned it.

I also made baked apples-cut up dried apricots, nuts, raisins, mixed cinnamon and brown sugar and put into cored apples. Place apples in a deep dish with enough apple juice to cover the apples half way and bake at 350 until soft. They are delicious.

Have fun!

Thumbs up

Shelly,
    I made your apple torte over the weekend and it was delicious! I used the light cream cheese and would not even think twice now about using the heavier version. The torte tasted even better the next day. My husband ate two slices although made not comments, my eight year old wanted to eat the last three pieces and we had to fight her off! I saw the apple torte recipe in this month's CL and may try the crust with less butter, etc. but base the rest on your recipe. YUM!!!!!
    Andi

Cool

Andi, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't have my new issue of CL yet so I haven't seen the apple torte recipe. I LOOVE apple desserts - I have a recipe for Apple Streusel Bars that is to die for but it is so high in fat that I rarely make it.

Lisa, Could you post your apple butter recipie? It sounds wonderful. Thanks!!!

Smile

Lisa-do post your apple butter recipe. Sounds good!
    Still waiting for that apple bread recipe Andrea J....

Hi All,
    Here is my apple butter recipe:

Peel 14 good sizes apples (I used a variety of types).

Place apples in large pot with 2 1/2 cups of apple cider. Bring to a boil, lower heat to LOW, cover and cook for 40 minutes stiring occassionally.

After 40 minutes remove from put and blend in blender until smooth. Return to pot add 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes over low heat stirring frequently. Once it reaches the consistancy that you like, remove from heat and cool.

Can be stored in an air tight container for up to one month.

I canned mine to give as gifts.

Enjoy! The smell alone is worth it!

One more thing-I forgot the brown sugar.

When you add the spices, add one cup brown sugar.
    Sorry!
    Lisa