Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner Wed night?

What's for dinner Wed night?

With all of the cooking going on for Thursday, what is everyone having Wed night?

I think we're having pork tenderloin, steamed broccoli & mashed potatoes that the store makes. Pork tenderloin may be too much of a hassle though.

Pizza!

Beef Stroganov from Oct's Gourmet Magazine but with buffalo tenderloin instead of beef tenderloin, served over egg noodles with homemade rolls and a tossed salad.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

We are having Asian Turkey Burgers and probably oven baked potato wedges and a salad. Something nice and easy since I'll be making pies and we will be getting ready to hit the road first thing Thursday morning.
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

Leftovers!

We've got chicken & dumplings or spaghetti to choose from. Although we've both been craving Thai lately. Maybe we'll go out instead...

going out!! to a new French restaurant that is all the rage here in KC...plus, the in-laws are taking us, even better!

like molli, we're ordering pizza!

Going out with friends.

Bracing myself for a day with the inlaws.

Eating anything but turkey.

Once again... PIZZA!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

My parents will be here and we are going to order something in. We have a great delivery service that will deliver from a bunch of restaurants in the area that do not deliver themselves. So, I'll let them choose the restaurant!

We're doing a potluck to clear out all the leftovers in the fridge to make room for the new ones we'll bring home from Thanksgiving dinner at my parents'.

Hot turkey sandwiches! We already had our turkey dinner this weekend so I'm in the leftovers mode.

Peggy

Probably leftovers here too. Have chili and the White Bean, Kale, and Roasted Vegetable Soup, baked beans and cornbread. I'm also in favor of cleaning out the icebox before Thanksgiving. I have a very simple, but labor intensive menu, for Thanksgiving, so I try to do as much as possible on Wednesday, so Thursday can be relaxed. I will be making a hazelnut-graham cracker crust for my Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, and making the dough for Monkey Bread, and probably making the Garlicky Cranberry Chutney also. Not to mention checking on the turkey to see if it has thawed yet. Then taking drastic measures when it has not. That 1 day per 5# of turkey never quite does it for me.

The other reason I like to clean out the icebox is that I make a second dinner on either Saturday or Sunday for my DH which includes leftover turkey and gravy, Southern Cornbread Pan Dressing and my version of Vanilla Sweet Potatoes (combined from 3 other recipes) with !!GASP!! the dreaded marshmallows on top because my DH likes it that way. ANd so do I in moderation: a taste and then I'm digging under the marshmallows.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I'm making a fun birthday dinner for my Mom. She loves Mexican, especially quesadillas so I'm making Barbeque Chicken Quesadillas, Easy Corn Pudding, my SIL is bringing another side dish and my Dad is bringing salad. Should be tasty. I was going to make a fancy cake but with all the cooking for Thanksgiving, I think I'm just going to make Butterscotch Bars for dessert. She loves butterscotch and I've been meaning to try these for a while.

Hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Leftover Smorgasbord!

We'll be clearing all the current leftovers out of the fridge for the ones to come. That means we'll be finishing up some chicken and dumplings (Oct 01), some creamy two-cheese mac and cheese (Aug 01), some pork piccata and my daughter's birthday cake.

Hmmmmm! Looks like I'll have to get on the ball and come up with a vegetable, huh? Hadn't realized that until just now! Thanks for asking the question so I could realize what we were lacking!

Another Post for...

Pizza. Talked to my neighbor last night, she has refrigerator space available for two of our four turkeys!!

We already ordered two but DH decided he wants to deep fry a turkey, so he bought two, one to fry today for practice and the second to deep fry on Thursday~~ do I have enough stress in my life without this?? But I can't help but love him for the attempt!! He wants to include my dad and brother in the cooking process- they are both excellent cooks and DH thought it would be another great bonding experience instead of sitting in front of the tv watching sports. What a guy!! Happy Holidays to all my BBer's!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

oh my gosh...you all are so motivated...I will probably be eating Wendy's or some other overpriced delicacy on the NY Thruway since I will be on the road with two carsick dogs...

aren't you jealous?
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

fajitas!!

all the veggies that didn't make it to the other meals this week!

JeAnne

Thumbs up grilling

I bought ground sirloin last night, and DH will be grilling burgers. I hope it isn't too cold. I don't want any cleanup because I have too much to do tonight so he is in charge of supper. Wonder if the kids will be stopping in to see what's cookin'. Vicky

We're meeting some friends who are in town for the holiday at a local watering hole - so probably something like a grilled chicken sandwich (tempted to get a burger, but I need to start making room for TG dinner a day early ). I'm going to be baking up a storm today - two pumpkin pies, a chocoate cake for DH's b-day and cornbread (probably make that tomorrow morning, the fresher, the better).
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes

Re: grilling

Originally posted by vbak
    I bought ground sirloin last night, and DH will be grilling burgers. I hope it isn't too cold. I don't want any cleanup because I have too much to do tonight so he is in charge of supper. Wonder if the kids will be stopping in to see what's cookin'. Vicky
    Good idea, that I may steal!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Airport Food

Heading back to NY tonite so I'll probably have some ridiculously overpriced sandwich before I board.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Originally posted by beckms
    I will be on the road with two carsick dogs...
    A woman on a dog rescue board said that she gives her dogs gingersnaps before and during a trip. Helps to settle their stomachs.

I pass it on for what it's worth and in the hopes it may help.

Nothing like cleaning up dog yack. And they always manage to hit the stick shift.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Leftovers!

And, I'm not hosting Thanksgiving Dinner.

My brother and his wife are. I only have one dish to cook for T-day, but DD (age 3) wants to make the bread on the cover of a christmas cookbook, and a pie.

We've made cookies twice and she's become very interested in cooking. So, she and I are going to spend T-day morning cooking. Should be interesting.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Meat Loaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, fruit salad.

Although I will be cooking for 15 on Thanksgiving, my hubby will be coming home from hunting today and will appreciate a nice homey meal - and since i'll be in the kitchen anyway (chopping, dicing, brining) . . . . .

Happy gobble up day everyone!!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I am making grilled salmon with garlic sauce, rice (via Heatherfeather's micro method), and a spinach salad. We have the in laws arriving about 3 today, so wanted to make something light and fresh tasting.

Friday, we are going out though.

Jen

We'll be in the middle of a 8 hour car ride, so I'm sure it will be whatever fast food looks good at the time. Although, there is a great little Chinese restaurant about 1/2 way home - in the town where DH and I attended college. Maybe I can talk him into that!

Something easy!

We are having homemade tomato soup (from the freezer), and grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread. I like to eat kinda "light" before Thansgiving, and try not to serve my family chicken or turkey things in the few days before Thanksgiving.
    The week after may be/is going to be filled with turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey wraps, mac 'n cheese w/ turkey, turkey w/ gravy over toast w/ mashed potatoes, and turkey enchiladas.
    We can go through a 20# turkey in 2 days around here, (most of the time)..I just don't wanna overload their "turkey tastebuds" too much before the Thanksgiving holiday.. Zinnia

Barbequed chicken pizza and thai chicken pizza, both from the California Pizza kitchen cookbook. We are not going all out on Thanksgiving; just the basics -- turkey, stuffing mashed potatoes, broccoli, and gravy. It's just my SO and our kids and we decided that this year I didn't need to make 10 different sides to try and please everyone. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

We too will be clearing out the fridge, but I can't wait! Mmmm...there's Linguine with Red Clam Sauce and Pork Medallions with Olive-Caper Sauce.