Community Message Boards

Thread: Brown Bouquet Sauce?

Brown Bouquet Sauce?

OK, I feel like an idiot, but I have a recipe that calls for Brown Bouquet Sauce and I'm clueless. What is it? Where can I find it? Are there any subs for it? I appreciate any insight!

My mom uses this...it's called Kitchen Bouquet and it's a browner for gravy...I don't really think it adds a lot of flavor, so if you can't find it, I don't think it's a big deal. It's found in the spices section in a small bottle, about 4-5 inches tall with a yellow label.
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

I also have the Kitchen Bouquet brand. I bought it for one recipe and have never used it again. I seem to recall finding it in my grocery store's barbecue sauce area as opposed to the spice aisle. I remember checking the spice aisle first and then I asked an employee who took me to the barbecue/sauces section.

Hmmm...interresting. I have a recipe that calls for bouquet sauce and I just use Worchestershire sauce. I honestly had no clue what bouquet sauce was.

It is most likely Kitchen Bouquet and available in supermarkets. I use it on my turkey to give it a nice color.

I have always used it in my gravy recipes. It just adds a rich dark brown color to your sauces, beware though it only takes a small dribble. If you pour too much it will make your sauce bitter. IMO it is only used as a colorant. My mother used it in her sauces also.
    Carolyn--

I use Kitchen Bouquet quite frequently, both to add a richer color to gravies and sauces, but also to help kick up flavor a bit! It's got a smoky, rich flavor to it that can be a bit salty if overused, so I agree with Carolyn that all you need is a dribble in most recipes! To be sure, I pour it out into the cap and then dribble from the cap just in case!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I just wanted to mention that this can be skipped all together. When I worked as a cook we used this for eye candy only. Like it has been mentioned, it will darken gravies and such but the sodium it adds isn't worth it to me. Just my .02.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

You guys are so helpful! Thank you for all the feedback. I think I will see if I can find it at the store but if not I won't stress over it...BF will just have to deal with white gravy!

Thanks again!