Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you help me with a reappearing rug stain???

Can you help me with a reappearing rug stain???

Hi all. I have this strange stain in my son's rug! It started out as a small, dark brown stain. I had my rug cleaner (the Bissell machine that uses cleaner and water) out the other night to clean a different stain and decided to treat this one as well. As soon as I ran the cleaner/water solution over this stain, it got much bigger! So, I decided to try a spot remover - patting it to try not to spread it further. I pulled up all this gross brown color and it did seem to help a bit. That was last night, this morning, it is back!! This stain is definitely growing, alive.

The only thing I can think of is mildew. But can mildew really grow that fast?? And it's behind the door where nothing ever drips or gets dropped. I really cannot understand how mildew would grow here!

Now I fear the only way to get rid of this thing is going to be to rip out that part of the rug! Ack! Any ideas out there???

If it is mildew, would a solution of bleach and water kill it?

Prior to having Stanley Steamer come in I had always had the folks who come in and shampoo. I also had reoccuring stains in my family roon however not as dark as you are describing. This is what the S. Steamer guys told me. He said that the shampoo type cleaning doesn't get down into the padding and this is what causes the stain to re-emerge. I also saw how all of the soap bubbled up while he used the steam, so I guess the soap gets left behind too. My two cents.

Yes, I have had stains that I thought were all the way gone come back a bit, but this is definitely different. This thing got dark and almost black again over night. It smells a bit musty too, which is also what has me thinking mildew. I just checked on it and it now looks worse than ever - and that's after one cleaning and heavy treatment with a stain remover! Yikes!

Bailey threw up on the carpet once, and even though we were on it immediately, it still stained. We tried everything.

I was told a mixture of 1 part ammonia to 3 parts hydrogen peroxide would do it. I doubted it sincerely, but gave it a shot, and it worked. Dab it on, let it sit for a while, then scrub out with a small brush. Might want to test it in a corner first.

Good luck Alysha.

Do you know what is under there? Hardwood flooring? Plywood?? I would take up that corner and find the heck out what in the world is under there? Did a creature crawl in there and die? Hmmm...quite a mystery. Let us know what you find out.

Originally posted by lsdesign
    Do you know what is under there? Hardwood flooring? Plywood?? I would take up that corner and find the heck out what in the world is under there? Did a creature crawl in there and die? Hmmm...quite a mystery. Let us know what you find out.
    We are in a ranch house with a concrete foundation. I really think we will have to rip the rug up in the corner and investigate! I'm just afraid at what we might find!

And thanks for your suggesting Sandy!

A mystery indeed!

I have always laughed at the Oxi-Clean infomercials, but a friend of mine told me that she has some and it works miracles. I bet it would get your stain out!

If it's just a rug and not a carpet - couldn't you dump it?
    Preferably somewhere near where Stephen King lives?
    Am sure he's always looking for new ideas. . .

Originally posted by Shirley Ekstein
    If it's just a rug and not a carpet - couldn't you dump it?
    Preferably somewhere near where Stephen King lives?
    Am sure he's always looking for new ideas. . .
    Hee, hee - yes, I'm sure Stephen could put this creeping crud to good use!

I did, however use the wrong term - it is wall-to-wall carpet, not a rug.

Anyway, I have the Duraclean people coming out tomorrow to take a look at it. I tried half-heartedly to pull up the carpet, but I could tell it would likely ruin it and the baseboard in the process - they have that carpet glued in there tight! If there's any hope of saving the carpet, I'd like to try that first! I figured that folks who clean carpets for a living might have better idea of what I'm dealing with here.

Maybe it's just from a marker that fell on the floor and dumped a lot of ink or something. I can live with a stain, I just don't want anything worse to be wrong (like foundation trouble)!

Shoup's Duraclean came out and the stain seems to be gone - I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to call a complete victory, just to make sure it hasn't seeped back up again. The carpet guys put some sort of block on it which is supposed to prevent this from happening.

I guess what looked to be a small stain must have really soaked into the padding and just kept seeping up. The carpet guys tried treating it first, but it started spreading again, so they got the "sucker" out and it came right out. And since they had to charge me a minimum of $50, they did the whole bedroom and our hallway.

So, perhaps I overreacted , but I've never seen such an aggressive stain! Hurray for Duraclean!

Here's the deal Linda, you have a stain in your padding that when moistened penetrates your carpet and shows up. Allow your carpet to totally dry in that spot then treat the surface only with a stain remover and dab at the spot till it is gone, do not over wet as it will start the whole cycle over again. Allow this to dry and just know that you will have to live with this stain forever this way. Each time you shampoo your carpet this stain will reappear and you will have to surface clean it to get rid of the unsightly look of the stain. The only way to actually get rid of this stain is to replace the carpet and padding underneath. I know these things because I have had the same problem and have a very good carpet cleaner who is real honest with me and expliane d the whole process. Poor guy lost my business now though because we recently replace carpet with tile!