Community Message Boards

Thread: Jambalaya Recipe (Crock-Pot)

Jambalaya Recipe (Crock-Pot)

After seeing all the talk of crock pot recipes on the "Dear CL" thread, I remembered my favorite recipe and thought I'd share it with you. It actually is in the little instruction book that came with my Rival Crock-Pot. One time, I made this when having friends over for dinner, then realized that one of my friends was from Louisiana and this couldn't possibly compare to his mama's Jambalaya! He declared it to be "heavenly" and had three helpings! Fortunately, it is extremely low in fat.

Jambalaya (source:Rival Crock-Pot Instruction booklet)

12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breats
    2 green peppers, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    4 cloves garlic, minced (I always use more)
    1 14-1/2 oz can whole tomatoes
    1/3 cup tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    1 Tbl dried parsley
    1 1/2 tsp dired basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp Tabasco sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 lb. shelled shrimp
    3 cups cooked rice

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Add all ingredients except shimp and rice to Crock-Pot. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 3 to 4 hours). Add shrimp last 15 to 30 minutes of cooking. Stir in rice when ready to serve. 6 servings (big servings!)

Cal: 332; Protein: 34g; Fat 3g (not a typo!); Carb: 41g; Chol: 148mg; Sodium: 828mg

Thanks, Dewey! I love using my crockpot. I will have to leave out the green pepper, DH hates them. Can't wait to try it, maybe this weekend.

Sounds Yummy!

Dewey,
    I will definitely fix this Saturday, while putting up the Christmas tree and listening to LOUD Christmas music!! Only BAD part of this is its 80 degrees!!! Yuk.
    Carolyn

DmOrtega Guest

Thumbs up mmmmmmmm.........

This is easy to put together and has great flavor. We made corn bread muffins to have with it. Very good. The best part though, was making wraps with the leftovers. Put the heated Jambalaya on a warm flour tortilla, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, wrap and enjoy. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... We decided that we would definetely repeat this recipe, but halving it because the recipe makes quite a lot, just to make the Jambalaya Wraps.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. We used to live in Louisiana and love jambalaya. I like the concept of the crockpot for this dish - especially for Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks!

I tried this tonight, very good! I can't wait for leftovers, I just know it will be even better the next day. I did sub jalapenos for green pepper, just cut down on amount. My hus band HATES green pepper. Just thought I would give it a plug. Janet

jambalaya

After reading all of the reviews, I want to make this but don't have a crockpot! Any suggestions for those without a crockpot?

put everything in a Dutch oven, covered, in your oven on a low temp (250) for the hours recommended.

Except for being nervous about having the oven on while you're not home, you'll never miss not having a crockpot!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Jambalaya is cooking in my crockpot as we speak. Can't wait to try it tonight! Thanks for the recipe, Dewey!

THANKS AGAING DEWEY

This has become one of DH's favs!! He not only loves to eat it but makes it too

Glad to hear the recipes a hit! I will admit that we always use red bell pepper instead of green (can't stand green!)

DmOrtega - I love your jambalaya wraps idea! Now I'm going to have to make some so I can try that. What perfect leftover lunch idea.

Wow! Thanks for posting this Dewey. It had been on my to-try list for a while. I finally made it this past weekend, it was great, and DH has not stopped talking about it!! He's bringing leftovers to work this week and said the flavors have gotten even better. It is definitely the best crock pot recipe that we have made, but boy, it does pack a lot of heat! I didn't use shrimp, but I added turkey andouille sausage (from Trader Joe's).

(the recent successes thread reminded me to post this review, because this was definitely a big hit!)

Does anyone happen to have this in Mastercook? I'm wondering how much fiber it has.

Thanks!
    Terri