Community Message Boards

Thread: Do tortillas freeze well?

Question Do tortillas freeze well?

Hi all!
    Do any of you know whether freezing flour tortillas (store-bought) works well? I'd like to buy some to make a wrap, but you have to buy them in 6-packs at least, and I don't want to eat wraps for 6 days in a row! I know pitas freeze/unfreeze beautifully, but what about tortillas?
    Thanks a lot!
    Clotilde.

Yes, tortillas freeze great! Just make sure that you put them in a sealable freezer bag and remove as much air as possible before putting them in the freezer.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie!

I've frozen them before, when it was just myself and had no problems. I put a layer of wax paper between each tortilla so I can remove one to defrost easily.....corn tortillas freeze okay too.
    LuAnn.....

Striving to cook like my mother did........ I Love You!!

I freeze mine all the time too, but I do notice that they crack a lot easier once they're thawed - so they're fine for quesadillas, but won't work for wraps or anything where they have to be rolled. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone figured out how to fix it?

I've never had a cracking problem with mine. How do you store them? I take the tortillas out of the freezer and use the microwave to soften them. You could try this trick. Dampen a paper towel and fold it around the tortilla, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 15-20 seconds. I've been able to use them for anything, including wraps, when I do this. The damp paper towel adds moisture, so it might help with the cracking problem.

Debbie