Community Message Boards

Thread: Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Cookbook Recommendations

Question Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Cookbook Recommendations

My Mother in Law requested a Slow Cooker Cookbook that's full of delicious recipes, but also has suggestions/guidelines on how to convert regular recipes into slow cooker. Does such a thing exist?

When shopping at Borders on my lunch hour and had no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have an excellent slow cooker cookbook at home! The title is Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook, but I can't remember the author's name . I'll look at it tonight and bring the full title and author's name in to work tomorrow,

I just got Laura Brody's Slow Cooker Cooking yesterday from the Good Cook club. I haven't had a chance to look at it too much. I'm not sure I would recommend it though. What kind of recipes is she looking for? If she's looking for basic/comfort food kind of recipes (which I tend to associate the crockpot with), it doesn't have many. If she wants to know how to do fancier/more upscale dishes in the crockpot, then it may be the book for her. It seems to have a disproportionate number of duck recipes in it!

She likes to experiment a lot with new recipes so Slow Cooker Cooking might be a good one to look at -- although duck in a crockpot? Who'da thunk it? My father in law detests any and all poultry dishes (of course I made the mistake of making chicken the first time we had them over to dinner! You would've thought my DH would have warned me about that one!)

I guess the clincher would be if it has suggestions for converting standard recipes to crock pot since that the one thing specifically requested. If you have time this evening to see if there's a section in either of those books like that, I would greatly appreciate it, meanwhile I'm going to look both up on Amazon and see what they have to say.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions!

Originally posted by jenstefanek
    -- although duck in a crockpot? Who'da thunk it?

I guess the clincher would be if it has suggestions for converting standard recipes to crock pot since that the one thing specifically requested. If you have time this evening to see if there's a section in either of those books like that, I would greatly appreciate it, meanwhile I'm going to look both up on Amazon and see what they have to say.
    I don't see a section for converting standard recipes. It just has a couple-of-page intro at the front that talks generally about slow cookers and what you can do with them, how people are suprised you can make "gourmet" food in them, etc.

As for the poultry section, there are 3 chicken recipes, 1 pheasant recipe, and 7 duck recipes! Is that weird, or is it just me?

I'm popping in on this post too because I'm looking for a crock pot book but I want one with LOTS of pictures - I cannot cook without pictures!

Any suggestions?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Originally posted by Chefzhat
    I'm popping in on this post too because I'm looking for a crock pot book but I want one with LOTS of pictures - I cannot cook without pictures!
    That's another complaint about Slow Cooker Cooking. There is not a single picture. I guess I should have read a review about it before I ordered it. I don't think I would recommend it at all.

Updated to say:
    I just checked the review of it at Amazon, and I guess other people like it. It only seemed like their was one review that agreed with mine. Oh well, to each his/her own! But there still aren't any pictures.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...554282-7598569

Betty Crocker!

I have the Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook, and it's great. The beginning of the book explains how to use a slow cooker, some do's and don'ts, and I think there is some info on how to convert regular recipes for your slow cooker (basically, don't add as much liquid).

The great thing about this book is that it includes nutritional info, and the recipes aren't too bad for you!

Also, it is spiral bound, so it opens flat, which is convenient.

There is a wide variety of dishes, including soups and stews, meat dishes, and vegetarian/bean dishes. It even has some dessert and appetizer recipes!

I would highly recommend this one!

Jen

I second the Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook.
    It's a good one.

Cool! But does it have pictures???

I'm recipe impaired if I can't see what it looks like. And to be honest, what good is a cookbook if you can't SEE the recipe?

SLKnight, glad I'm not the only one that needs them!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Yes, there are pictures! and great ideas for left overs too (like "on purpose" left overs)

I'm going to see if I can find the Betty Crocker book. It looks promising! The leftover thing seems clever too, especially since it's just the two of them at home now.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

If you want to give me an idea of your
    mother-in-laws food preferences, I could
    type in a few recipes from the Betty Crocker
    Slow Cooker cookbook so that you could
    have preview.

I looked at my slow cooker cookbook. The name
    of it is-Health Slow Cookery Cookbook and it is by
    Mabel Hoffman. It doesn't have a section that takes recipes from the crock pot to stove, but it has some awesome recipes in it!
    I'm going to try the Black Cherry Applesauce recipe this weekend.
    You might take a look at the book.