Community Message Boards

Thread: What did I do wrong with my peanut butter fudge?

Unhappy What did I do wrong with my peanut butter fudge?

I made peanut butter fudge yesterday afternoon. It never set up. I was hoping to give this to my pregnant SIL who is craving it. I am so sad. I made 2 batches. The first batch I used milk from the fridge and didn't think about it being skim until I was stirring in the PB. The second batch I used whole milk. The fudge is gooey- even after sitting in the freezer all night and has a grainy texture.

WORLD FAMOUS PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

2 C. milk
    1 C. sugar
    1 C. peanut butter
    1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow crème
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Stir sugar into milk over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, leave on medium heat without stirring until mixture reaches soft ball stage (it will start to turn a pale gold color).

Remove from heat; immediately stir in peanut butter, marshmallow crème and vanilla extract, in that order. Stir rapidly because mixture will thicken quickly. When it is completely mixed and thickened, pour out into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then cut into squares. This will melt in your mouth!

Thanks for your help!

Did you use a candy thermometer to determine soft ball stage?

I had that happen once and determined that I'd put in too much milk. It always helps when I read the recipe.

I did use a thermometer- I let it stay at 212* for a couple of minutes.

Every once in a while I make fudge and it doesn't set up and I never have figured out why. When that happens, I usually bake a cake and use it as frosting.

Tovie
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Most fudge recipes using the marshmallow cream also use evaporated milk----and 2 cups of milk seems like a lot for only 1 cup of sugar. To save it, you might try reheating the fudge and adding about 2 cups melted white or peanut butter chips.

Another thing is that most recipes like that are boiled for 3-5 minutes

BTW, now you've done it----I've been fighting the urge to make peanut butter fantasy fudge because I end up eating most of it----I'm a goner now!

I just finished making fantasy fudge using half chocolate and half pb chips. Then I stirred in a cup of marshmallows at the very end. OMG!

Originally posted by JJeannette

BTW, now you've done it----I've been fighting the urge to make peanut butter fantasy fudge because I end up eating most of it----I'm a goner now!
    Could you post your recipe for peanut butter fantasy fudge? I am so determined to make it and have it turn out!

I think "soft ball stage" is more like 238º or possibly more - I know for sure it's higher than 212º (which is just boiling point). I think perhaps you didn't cook your sugar long enough, so it didn't ever harden like it is supposed to. I would try again and make sure you have an accurate thermometer and find out what temp "soft ball stage" is exactly.

Molli526, Here's the recipe that I've used for years.

Peanut Butter Fantasy Fudge

3 cups sugar
    3/4 cup margarine
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    7 oz marshmallow creme
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup peanut butter

Combine sugar, margarine, and milk in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for 4 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, marshmallow creme and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan and cool.

It' s equally good using smooth peanut butter or crunchy. And I've found if you let it cool slowly (at room temp) you get a firmer product. Cooling in the frig seems to keep it just a bit softer.

I am trying this tonight!

Wow! This set up so quickly! I am anxious for it to cool enough to try a piece! Thanks Jeannette! You are so great!

I am so going to be a star. This recipe is 4 star fabulous! How delicious! I don't know if the fudge will last until Christmas- DH has already had 4 pieces. Thank you! Thank you!