Community Message Boards

Thread: How to eliminate mushy pasty doughy noodles/pasta from homemade chicken/turkey soup?

How to eliminate mushy pasty doughy noodles/pasta from homemade chicken/turkey soup?

DH makes the world's best chicken/turkey soup every time we have a roast chicken, or at Thanksgiving and Christmas, a very large turkey.

We like noodles/pasta in our soup and have tried so many ways to keep them at the proper consistency, but they're always either mushy and floury/pasty tasting or just plain disintegrated.

We've tried the same things for both the extra wide egg noodles and macaroni (pasta)shapes and nothing has worked:

- putting the pasta/noodles in raw into hot, completed soup and hoping the soup will cook them

- putting the noodles/pasta in par-cooked into hot, completed soup and hoping the soup will cook them the rest of the way

- putting the noodles/pasta in par-cooked into cold, completed soup and hoping that they will cook the rest of the way when we heat up the soup

I really don't want to make separate noodles/pasta to add every time we have soup. He makes so much soup at one time that we freeze it in many containers. It would be a pain to cook noodles every time we thaw out soup, but if that's the only way....

Are noodles or macaroni/pasta better? How can we have normal-tasting noodles in our homemade soup? We have a new turkey carcass from Christmas and are bound and determined to succeed!!!!

Thanks!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I cook my noodles or rice seperately each time. Vicky

I tend to make a lot of soup and I've found (after eating a lot of mushy noodles) that the best way is to do it separately. Only rice or barley is sturdy enough to hold up - it freezes better, too.
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

This really isn't an answer to your question, but I just have to say that we started eating orzo with the soup, and love it!
    Julie

Thanks for all your responses! Separately may be the only way to go! However, orzo was a great idea which I never thought of!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.