Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mom update

New Mom update

Hey All, I thought I'd start a new thread, hope you don't mind.

We glided through Christmas and the week with Dave's family great! For some reason I couldn't log on from the computer there but could read posts. Tru was amazing. We only had one episode of nasty crying and we figured that was due to the onions in the potato casserole. I didn't think to ask if there were any. Dave's mom was terrific the rest of the week, making a bunch of separate things for me so we didn't have to put Tru through all of that again.

Anyone know how long it might take until I can start back in with onions, broccoli, beans...etc? Or do I just start it slowly, suffer along with Tru and we'll both start getting used to it?

I have another question regarding nursing. Hey, no rolling of eyes..., this is different from all my other ones. I was getting tired of the two nursing bras I own so I put on a sports bra. It was kind of tight. My question is, does wearing something that's a bit tight (or a lot tight) inhibit milk production? It sounds silly asking it but I have absolutely no clue.

I hope all of you had a wonderful time with your families, showing off your new and best Christmas present ever! I thought of you a ton, wanting to share all of the neat new things Tru has been doing. In the past few weeks he's become enamored with his left fist. He holds it up in the air and just stares at it, waving it a bit now and then. It cracks me up! I was videotaping him at one point and he was laughing and cooing.........I said, "Hey Tru, where's your fist?" And immediately he held it up. I know that was just a coincidence but I loved it and it was fun to get that on tape. He's also "talking" quite a bit more and trying to sit up. By that I mean he's leaning forward when in a sitting position, looking like he's trying to do stomach crunches. My favorite new thing is that he's laughing outloud quite a bit. It makes me laugh! He even laughs when we take his clothes off for changing. I'm not sure why he thinks it's funny; perhaps we're accidentally tickling him. Anyway, I thought I'd share what's going on with him. Oh, and lots of drooling.

So, what new tricks are your kids up to? What do I have to look forward to in the next month or two?

Anne, are you still hanging around or will your next post be as a new mom?
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Hi, I'm Katie.
    Shoyski, your baby sounds very cute!

I posted my nursing question on the "other stuff" board It was recommended that I come over here to check in with the "mommy and mommy-to-be" crowd. Hope you don't mind!

When my baby boy was a couple weeks old I went through the worst 16 hours of our lives.... I'd eaten chocolate (more than just a bite ) Oh, how he screamed!! I knew about all the other foods and vegies but nobody had mentioned chocolate ! Thank God for Mylicon.
    So, yeah, you can let him suffer along with you and just let him get used to it. (After all; what do they do in spicy food countries?? )
    But I discovered that as he got bigger and his body could handle "digesting" better I could gradually eat mexican, broccoli, beans, caffine, etc. Not too big of quantities of course. But the "gas drops" (mylicon) you can buy in the store are very wonderful if all else fails! I avoided the bad foods until he was probably almost 4 months old. But Tru might be different. Just go slow and trust what he's telling you.

And nope, nursing bras can't be too tight. Won't bother milk. Sometimes at home sports bras are comfiest for me too.

Oh, and check this out. My baby started major drooling around 10 weeks or so. Everybody said, "must be teething soon" Nope. He's 7 1/2 months now and still no sign of a tooth! What's up with that?? He's got the cutes toothless grin!!

Thanks for letting me comment!
    -Katie

Hi! I haven't been able to get to the CL web site the past few days. I thought it was down, but I see a lot of posts...hmmm. I'm still in Sacramento, and I'm not sure when I'll be going back home. We just found out my mom needs surgery on Wednesday to remove her thyroid, and I want to be here until she's home from the hospital.

Jared has started doing a few new things. He blows raspberries now Unfortunately they're accompanied by a ton of spit and drool. My dad gets him going non-stop. We started him on rice cereal, and he seems to like it. He also caught his first cold. It makes me sad to hear him all clogged up. My mom bought a humidifier last night, so I'm hoping it well help.

Shelley, I haven't noticed any problem with foods, so I'm no help there. About your sports bra, I've tread that one cause of plugged milk ducts is wearing bras that are too tight. I've had plugged ducts twice, but I'm not sure what the cause was.

Any word from Anne?

Well, typing one handed on a natural keyboard is really difficult...

Take care,
    Krista

Unfortunately, I'm still a pregnant lady (but I'm posting over here anyways). Like Krista, I couldn't get to the board at all over the weekend. I figured everybody was having the same problem, but it looks like other people still managed to post. Anyway, I just got back from my dr appt, and they are estimating that Mason is about 8 lbs right now! YIKES. He better come out soon. Looks like he'll be a 2002 baby, though.

This talk about avoiding spicy/strongly-flavored foods while breastfeeding is really scaring me. I've been planning on trying to eat my normal spicy diet, and see if maybe he'll be used to it from the start. Otherwise, what will I eat?

Shelley, that is so cute about Tru and his fist! And thats neat that he laughs so much - must be a very happy baby!

And Krista, poor Jared. It seems so unfair that baby's have to get sick. I hope your mom's surgery is uneventful.

Hi, Katie! Don't worry, this isn't a special clique - we are happy to hear from everybody! Look at me, I'm not even a new mom yet, but I post here.

I'm off to go take a ride in an old pick-up down a really bumpy road... (not really)
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Anne, my friend had that same problem. I had heard that walking helps (I walked almost every morning and did some VERY light pregnancy aerobics- courtesy of Denise Austin- for the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy). My friend said she had walked all over town and it didn't help at all! I hope you don't have too much longer to go. I remember how uncomfortable it was at the end. Ugh!

I love to watch Casey "discover" things. My mom bought her this Little People dollhouse for Christmas. I thought she'd be too young for it, but she sure enjoys terrozing the house. You know, eating the people, shaking all the furniture out. It's actually like watching a Godzilla movie. She is the same height as the house when she's sitting on the floor and she peers in the windows at the people. Unfortunately, the dogs are enjoying the new toys, too. I had to rescue the mommy from our lab.

We're all sick at the Reber ranch. Casey got a cold first, then me, then Kyle. I am bummed. A whole week off work for this?

Krista, I wish your mom a speedy recovery!

Katie, just jump in any time- we all share stories and advice. There's so many "lurkers" on the pregnancy threads that we get a lot of good advice from more seasoned moms, too!

Happy New Year everybody!!

Well, I have some good (for mommy) news!

NO MORE BOTTLES!

Mariel (12M 3W) had her milk in a cup at breakfast yesterday and today! Otherwise she was using a cup.

Of course she only drank 1 1/2 cups of milk today because she's also come down with a cold. It has her eyes all gooped up too so I have to keep them wiped off. She felt terrible today and wouldn't even eat lunch. She did eat 3/4 a banana this afternoon and ate dinner pretty well.

She's doing much better walking. She took 12 steps just the other day. She'd been doing 2 or 3 and leaning. She also loves the stairs, goes all the way up and straight to the bathtub (her other favorite thing).

We think she's even learning to say "Ginger," which is big sister.

I had a very few problems with eating spicy foods and giving Mariel gas. If you do eat something spicy you can just give them some drops at the next feeding.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I can't say I've ever noticed a connection between what I've eaten and Gabe being gassy or fussy. I think it really depends on your baby.

As for the bra issue, I've also heard (like Krista said) that wearing one that is too tight can cause clogged ducts. Definitely something you want to avoid! Yikes! Those are seriously painful!

I had heard that, too, about wearing a tight bra. I thought that you were supposed to bind your breasts to stop the milk production when you didn't want to breastfeed anymore.

Wow, Leigh, that's great about the bottles. I am hoping to do the same thing. Casey doesn't seem to dependent on them for anything except drinking her formula. She doesn't want to fall asleep with one, even. She takes it out of her mouth so she can get comfortable. Hope Mariel is feeling better soon. Seems cold season is definitely upon us!

shelley, tru sounds like quite a little character! a few months ago, amanda did something similar... we were shopping at the mall, and DH found an outfit he thought would be cute for her. i thought it was just OK. so to settle the matter, he held the outfit in front of her and said, 'amanda, do you like this outfit?' and all of a sudden she lets out this loud sound that sounded just like 'YEAH!'. of course, i caved and we bought her the outfit

the laughing is great, isn't it? there was one time where amanda got hysterical on her changing table, and we just videotaped it for several minutes. she was half flipped over, and her leg was basically up the wall. we thought it was pretty funny too!

about the foods causing problems for tru: at first, any time amanda was fussy i thought it was from something i ate. i wasn't sure if it was dairy or chocolate or broccoli or what. i just kept on eating things (although i did steer clear of onions for a bit) and now she doesn't seem bothered by anything really. not chocolate, not broccoli, not onions, and not even beans.

i don;'t know about wearing a tight bra, but i agree with susan - i heard that you can get binder things to inhibit milk production once you stop nursing.

hi katie, welcome again.

krista, i hope your mom is feeling better. aren't the raspberries cute? amanda started blowing them about 2 months ago and hasn't really stopped! for a while, we could even hear her over the monitor, razzing while she was still asleep!!!!

leigh, congrats on getting rid of bottles. that is pretty exciting.

well, DH needs to do some computer work, so i've gotta go for now. happy new year everyone!
    marisa

Leigh, I envy the cup drinking she's doing now for you. Looking forward to that. You must be very proud! :-)

Susan, how many times a day does Casey get formula and how much? I'm coming from 7+ months nursing and I'm not sure what the ideal amount is. But boy! I'm already tired of washing bottles all the time! That was a definite advantage of nusing! (71/2 mo baby is mostly weaning himself) I've been giving @ 6 ounces at a feeding.

Also; does Casey say any words yet?? My Spencer doesn't yet. How soon can that start? Can't wait!

OK - here's a question to anyone amd more experienced moms: When does baby get to try out the BIG bath tub??
    Spencer has so much fun in the baby tub that goes over the kitchen sink but he's learned to SPLASH!! - Which is so much fun! It really is pretty cute. Sound effects and everything. And a bit messy!
    I don't really want to buy one of those tub seats but is that what has to be done anyway? I can't imagine putting him in the big tub now. The kitchen sink tub is way easier I'm sure! But I don't want "the other kids" to be doing it and he's still in the baby bath tub!

Marisa Thank you for saying hello to me!

-Katie

brykate,

I think there's no "right" age for the big bath tub. I started bathing my first baby in the big tub after I read in a baby massage book that taking her with me into the tub might be a good way to soothe her when she was fussy. I guess she was about 4 months old when I first tried it. I was terrified at first, but we LOVED it. We both enjoyed it so much that we stopped using the over-the-sink tub altogether and either I or DH bathed with her until she was about a year old. Great bonding time!

With Mia (also 7 1/2 months), we started putting her in the big tub as soon as her cord dropped off. Since we were running the water for the 18-month-old anyway, we decided to consolidate the effort! I bathed with her for the first couple of months, but now that Mia's sitting up well, we're bathing the two girls together. I do always keep a hand on her though.

I got one of those bath seats for a shower gift and we used it once. Yuck! I find it much easier to just be in the tub or kneel over the side and hold her up. I found the big plastic thing bulky and uncomfortable--and it didn't seem all that safe to me, either.
    Last edited by Robyncz; 01-01-2002 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks robyn. We've taken him in the shower and he likes that at least too.

On the other thread you mentioned there were a few babies all about the same age... Mia, Casey, Tru, my Spencer....? All in a few days in mid-May, right? I don't think I've picked up any other ages specifically except Claire's Emma. Sounds like Jared and Amanda are pretty close too, though.

oh, I found Amanda's age on Marisa's post in my nursing question thread; May 29. Too cool! :-)

Katie

btw - Susan, how are you feeling?
    Last edited by brykate; 01-01-2002 at 11:30 PM.

Oh, Anne, did the bumpy road do it's trick? I'm anxiously awaiting Mason's arrival.

Leigh, congrats on getting rid of bottles. Quite an accomplishment!

I have a baby food question. When can I give Jared something besides rice cereal? Can I try some veggies now? How many times a day do you feed them cereal or baby food as opposed to nursing? I know that I should wait about a week before introducing new foods to avoid allergic reactions, but other than that, I have no clue.

Hope you all enjoyed ringing in 2002!

~Krista

Hi Krista. Thanks for the baby b-day update on the other thread :-)

I'm getting out my know-it-all baby food book for ya. It's called "Super Baby Food" It's been a good reference for me to figure out when baby can eat what kinds of foods etc.
    So Jared is 5 months old now... let's see... everything has to be cooked, mashed, pureed or whatever: avacado, banana, sweet potato, apricots, nectarines, peaches, pears, plums, prunes. You can stir it w/cereal or not.
    1 or 2 meals a day can include solids, depending on what your baby is used to. Go slow so digesting isn't a strain. Liquid (nursing) is still the most important nutrition he gets.
    A couple days between new foods is generally fine but caution is good too. (I got excited and could barely wait more than 1 day to see what else he liked!) Making your own foods are super easy and way way cheaper (this is a good book for that too). These "solid" foods can start as early as 4 months apparently.
    Spencer gets solids with 2 meals a day. But that's also because he needs to plump up.
    So what do you think he'll try first?

Katie

About the bras. I had a clogged duct twice and one time it took 3 days to clear it. OUCH! I used a hot compress on the spot and massaged it while I pumped or nursed. You definately want to avoid that. I have also heard the same thing about bras that are too tight.

About baby food. If you don't make your own be sure to read the labels. I used either Beechnut or Gerber, and ocassionally Heinz. I found Beechnut the best about not adding anything but water and vitamin C to the food and Heinz the worst. Some thing Gerber adds sugar to stage one foods!

For cereal I gave a new food every 3rd day. I did the cereals first: rice, barley then oatmeal then did fruits, then veggies. It doesn't really matter what order you go in. I read to introduce a new food it the AM because you would know about any allergies before bedtime. I did not do this because then the daycare ladies would be giving the new foods and I wanted to do that. I gave the new foods at dinner, but we don't have any food allergies.

Last bit on baths. We had a small tub that we could put in the big tub. When Mariel could sit up we let her bath in the little tub on the floor while big sister was in the big tub. I think at abour 9m we let her bathe in the bit tub with her sister. She loves the bath. The only thing is we have to bathe Mariel and take her our before Ginger can bathe becaues she does not use tear-free soap anymore. The baby needs to be able to sit up well, and you really don't need much water. You could try with just a little and add mor as the baby gets used to it, or you feel more comfortable.

Leigh

Hi everyone! Casey was almost 4 months when I introduced peaches to her. She loves her fruit and veggies. I basically let her be my guide as to what she wanted to eat, how much, and how often. She goes through stages, too. Lately, she doesn't want to eat baby food at all, but will eat my scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, hard pretzels, and frozen bagels. She also ate some banana yesterday. However, when I pull out the baby food, she starts to cry! Go figure. She used to love to eat baby food. I'm not sure if she's not feeling well (she's had a bit of a cold) or if she does not want me to feed her anymore since she seems to enjoy holding the food herself. I was mixing the food with the cereal, especially for dinner since the cereal keeps them full longer and mommy gets to sleep longer!

As far as formula, Casey just very recently started to drink more than 4 oz at a time! When she started daycare in August, they asked how much milk she had each day. I had no idea since she was breastfed (I hear you on washing bottles! Ugh!!). I'd send 4 bottles of 4 oz each. She'd come home with at least 1 bottle at the end of the day. She drank maybe 10 oz in a day and then whatever I gave her at night and before work. She was hardly at the recommended 26oz stage. Don't go crazy with that. They go through stages and babies will eat when they're hungry. I try to offer Casey a bottle before food so that I'll know she's taking in enough fluids and getting all of her nutrition. At 4 months or so, they're basically learning how to eat. I think it's around 9 months that food becomes a larger source of nutrition.

As for the bathtub- I put Casey in her little tub inside the big tub. She seems to like playing in the big tub. I just hate our bathtub (our whole bathroom for that matter) so I hate to just put her in the tub until we can afford to get a new one! I don't even take baths myself cause it's old. I scrub the heck out of it and it still doesn't look "clean" to me. I'll have to try the shower, though. I've thought about that. It'd probaby be funny.

Clogged ducts are not fun! I felt like I had the flu when I had a clogged duct. I had a temp of 101 and was achy. It was awful and painful. Had to go get antibiotics for it!

I'm feeling a bit better, thanks- still not all that hungry. This stupid cold is bothering me more than anything. I can't breathe through my nose, which makes eating a wonderful experience.

katie, i can't help too much with the tub stuff. we have a small tub that we put in the larger tub, and amanda is happy with that. we have the 'euro tub' which is relatively large... one side is for smaller babies who can't sit up yet and the other side is for babies who can sit well. amanda can sit well now but she still uses the smaller baby side. we find it's easier to bathe her that way too since we have both hands free for bathing. i'm afraid to take her in the shower with me - she is so slippery when wet!!! we have a huge bathtub though (a big roman tub 2-seater) but we haven't gotten around to taking her in the big bath with us (we're mostly shower people vs bath people).

as far as the other babies, it seems like we have 3 who are mid-may (casey, mia, spencer) amanda is end of may. jared is beginning of august. tru is september. and emma is somewhere in between there, i think. and i'm guessing our newest arrival, mason, will be joining us shortly!!!!!

krista, about the food: our dr said we could give any of the stage 1 stuff as long as we wait 3-4 days between trying new things. i also read about giving in the morning so that if there's some reaction, it won't occur during the night. DH often comes home late, and i know he wants to be there when we give a new food, so as a result, we've been trying new foods on the weekends, so there's been almost a full 7 days in between trying things. we started with apples, and then peaches. so far, her favorites are bananas!!! we've also tried pears. i give her cereal and fruit in the morning and in the evening. there's usually a few tablespoonfuls of each in her bowl. sometimes i give them separate, and sometimes i mix them in together.

i bought the same book that katie referenced: super baby food. the author recommends bananas, avocados, and sweet potatoes as really good first foods. i tried mashing some banana with a fork, but amanda seems to like the jarred stuff best. so far, i've only given her the 'tender harvest' organic line from gerber. one of these days, i hope to get around to preparing some food myself! it just has to be cooked and then pureed pretty well. my vote for first food is bananas. they are sweet. sometimes when we give amanda apples or other fruits she makes this face like we've just given her the most sour thing!

one other note: we finally caved and bought amanda the ultrasaucer. well guess what? she hates it! every time we put her in it she starts crying!!!! did anyone else have this problem??? we also bought her a doorway jumper, and she really enjoys that. now when people hold her standing up on their laps, she thinks it's time to jump!

well, i think naptime is over! susan, hope you're feeling better! anne...how are you doing?!?

marisa

Pardon my lurking...

Sorry to be lurking on these threads but its so cute reading about all your bebes...but I just had to jump in and congratulate you all for picking some of the best baby names ever...you are such a creative group of namers, all your babies names are great - unique and different but not weird and unspellable, names that will sound great as adults, etc. Casey, Truman, Mia, Spencer, Mason etc. and one of my all time favorite names - Ginger! I'm so sick of boring traditional names like Elizabeth, Sarah, etc. (no offense of course to anyone with those names, I'm just not a traditional person and like seeing names that you don't already know 15 people with!) and its so nice to see such creative parents as you guys!
    Sorry, just my unsolicited 2 cents....but if I ever have a baby to name (good lord!), I'm coming to you guys!
    Last edited by Ms. Chevious; 01-02-2002 at 01:26 PM.

Re: Pardon my lurking...

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious
    Sorry to be lurking on these threads but its so cute reading about all your bebes...but I just had to jump in and congratulate you all for picking some of the best baby names ever...and one of my all time favorite names - Ginger!
    Gee, Thanks!

Actually my mom was born Roselle Virginia and always went by Ginger. She did not like either name and dropped the Roselle when she got married.

I WAS Virginia Leigh, but also didn't like Virginia so that got dropped when I got married.
    We wanted to name our 1st girl in honor of my mom who passed away 7 years ago so we just went with Ginger.

Leigh

a word of warning about bananas

They say bananas are the perfect food, except for one little thing. . .

Our ped. warned us that bananas have the potential of "stopping up" some babies, and we have found that to be the case with both of our girls. Not that we avoid bananas, but we do limit the amount we give either of them (1 a day for the 2 year old and a few spoonfuls for the 7 month old) and we only give them on days when they've had a good poop. (I'm sorry to any of you lurkers without a little one in the house, but baby talk and poop talk go hand-in-hand!). If your baby is having any poop troubles, you might want to limit the bananas and give other fruits until things are moving again. On the other hand, we ALWAYS employ bananas when things are moving a little too quickly and it seems to help.

My two cents. . .

Robyn

<sigh> still a pregnant mom, hanging out on the new mom thread... Shelley, you seemed so patient when you went overdue - how'd you do it? I'd be ok with it, if I didn't have some family member calling us about every 5 minutes just to verify that I didn't have the baby and forget to tell them! And my due date hasn't even passed yet!

Marisa, I'm sorry to hear that Amanda hates her ultrasaucer! Kids must be like pets - they hate the toys you spend lots of money on, but have a great time with any old piece of junk they happen to find on the floor.

Thanks for the compliment on the names, Ms Chevious! I had noticed that before, too, that we all had chosen names that were different, but not weird.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

robyn, i also heard that about the bananas. that is why they weren't the first fruit we gave to our daughter. it's funny though, because i think bananas have had the exact opposite effect on her!!!! well, not TOO opposite, if you know what i mean (another apology to lurkers without little ones...!) anyhow, bananas haven't given her any problems at all.

ms. chevious...you named all the babies on the BB except mine and krista's! i guess "amanda" and "jared" are too ordinary!?!? well, we chose amanda because it was easy and can only get spelled one way. my husband and i each have problems with people getting our names right, even though our names aren't that weird (marisa & evan).

anne, when is your due date? i thought it was jan 1. my SIL had her baby on dec 31, as planned. and it was also a boy, 8lbs 9oz, and very healthy.

marisa

Originally posted by mb
    ms. chevious...you named all the babies on the BB except mine and krista's! i guess "amanda" and "jared" are too ordinary!?!? well, we chose amanda because it was easy and can only get spelled one way. my husband and i each have problems with people getting our names right, even though our names aren't that weird (marisa & evan).
    No no - I knew I'd forget someone's so that's why I put the etc.! Both Jared and Amanda fit right in there as being a little different but not too weird, they are both great names!! I actually knew a Jared once who was such a cutie so that name always has good thoughts for me.

Curious - how do you pronounce your name? I've known a couple Marisas but one was pronounced Ma - riss - a and the other is Ma - reese - a ... so now I never know what's the correct way? I guess its one of those names like Tara - some people like Tear - a and some people like Tar - a....

ms. chevious: i was totally kidding you!

oh yeah, and you pronounce my name mah-riss-ah. although, when we lived in miami, i got ma-reese-ah a lot. i've gotten everything from mar-seee-ah to marsha to melissa, etc. and DH (evan) has gotten everything from edwin to kevin! i'm hoping amanda will only be construed as amanda...although i'm sure one day we'll meet someone who will come up with something weird!

marisa

Thanks for all the baby food advice. Tonight's menu: sweet potato.

My mom's surgery went okay. She wasn't really awake by the time I left, just half way aware of what was happening. She kept telling me to "go home and take care of the baby." I'm bringing her home tomorrow and then heading back to San Diego on Friday.

Anne, between your family members and us bugging you, I'm sure you're going crazy. Hang in there!

Well, I'm gonna go make my dad's lunch for tommorow...

Take care,
    Krista

Welcome, Katie! The more the merrier and the more good advice we can all get! As far as the bathtub issue, I just read American Baby yesterday and they suggested waiting until 6 months before putting your child in the big tub. They did say to put the baby tub inside of the big tub in case your child might be the timid type. I think this info is way late but I thought it was fun that I was reading about info you needed at the same time.

Krista, so sorry about Jared's cold and your mom's surgery. I hope it is flowing smoothly for you...sounds like you have your hands full! If Jared is blowing raspberries now, it looks like Tru will start fairly soon then.

MrsReber, I cracked up laughing at your description of Casey terrorizing the dollhouse...I'm sure she makes a very cute Godzilla. Sorry to hear the Reber Ranch is sick...hopefully you're all making a swift recovery.

Marisa, I cracked up also when you described Amanda blowing raspberries in her sleep. I had to tell Dave about that one. I would imagine Amanda will start to enjoy the saucer soon. I don't know of one kid who didn't eventually just love the thing!

Ooops, thought Tru was down for a long nap...bummer, got to go!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Krista - I just love how you care for and are devoted to your parents! That's a good thing. After all my parents have done for me I want to take care of them when there's opportunity too.

(Shelley) Don't ya just hate when you think they "should" be down for a long-ish nap and then... ugh! I don't know about you - but if it's only been a little while, then I do my best to convince him that, no, it's not time to wake up! And I had to type that because I just came from "convincing" him! I think it's working ... shhh.

I picked him up to see if maybe there was a leftover burp that needed to come out... he's sooo cute!.... > and he lifted his chin and grinned expectantly waiting for me to blow zerberts on his neck! TOO CUTE!!!
    Did he think he could distract mommy from napping to playing?! His laugh is worth it so of course I indulged a little. I can't stand it he's so cute! Yeah, ok, I may be just a bit partial....!

lol
    -Katie

just a little tidbit on names...

well, i just saw the top 100 names of 2001, and here's where our babies came in...

for the girls:
    29. emma
    51. amanda
    89. erin
    100. casey
    (no ginger, mariel, or mia...)

for the boys:
    60. jared
    67. mason
    (no truman or spencer...)

oh, and btw, the top girl name was emily and the top boy name was jacob. here is the link in case anyone is interested: http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/names2001.html

marisa

Darn it! I just checked the link and Hannah is #2. That's my top pick for a girl, but I don't want something "popular". I've loved that name for years, though. Maybe it'll die out by July!

Wow, we almost didn't make the list with Casey! I do like Sarah alot, though I know it's common. Emily is my neice's name. When she was born almost 10 years ago, there were no Emilys- now there's too many! I'll have to check the list to see where my picks for baby #2 come in.....