Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze cranberries?

Can you freeze cranberries?

Have any of you frozen cranberries for later use? How well does it work. I wanted to freeze a few so that I could make the Cranberry Glazed Pork recipe later in the year. TIA

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I have some frozen now, but since I keep pulling out a few to put in my blender with a bit of fruit juice, they won't be lasting long.

I'll be interested to hear how long they can be kept frozen.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always freeze cranberries! Just leave them in the bag that they came in, and put them in the freezer. I always buy extra, when they are on sale, and freeze them for cranberry sauce all year.
    Actually the berries I used on Thanksgiving were from last year. Just be sure to date them. When ready to use, dump them in a colander (frozen) and rinse with cold water. Good luck!
    Curleytop

I agree with Curleytop. I buy them every year when they are on sale and throw them in the freezer. I then use them throughout the year. I have never had a problem and I have used them after they have been frozen 10-11 months.

Peggy

yes!

I too simply toss them in the freezer in the bag they come in.
    I kept one bag for 2-1/2 years (hate to admit it ) and except for a few shriveled ones, they were still great.

Thanks!

Thank you for your answers. That is great news if I can still find them in the stores. I am going to Louisville Thursday for a bone scan so I can check there if I cannot find any left here in lake country.

I have two large bags of them in my freezer right now from sales this fall. Make sure that when you take them out, you use them frozen so they don't get squishy on you. They are kind of like strawberries if you thaw them they are squishy but are great for cooking and such if used frozen.

Another question!

Do you think they would work frozen in the Cranberry Glazed Pork recipe? The recipe calls for fresh cranberries. It was such a hit on Christmas Eve eve that I want to repeat it later in the year. I am posting the recipe below so that you can advise me if you all don't mind.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry-Glazed Pork

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Meats

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1 cup coarsely chopped peeled cooking apple
    2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 pork tenderloins -- (3/4-pound)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover; simmer 2 minutes or until thick. Cool 10 minutes. Place in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Divide cranberry sauce in half.

3. Trim fat from pork; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Brush pork with half of cranberry sauce. Place pork on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 160 degrees (slightly pink). Serve pork with remaining cranberry sauce. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork and 2 tablespoons sauce).

CALORIES 243 (11% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1g, mono 1.3g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 24g; CARB 29.5g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 74mg; IRON 2.1mg; SODIUM 164mg; CALC 34mg

I think frozen would work--after all, you're to cook them, so they break up fresh or frozen once in the pan. I'm glad to hear it was a hit. I wanted to make that and haven't yet!

There was a great pork tenderloin with cranberry port sauce in Bon Appetit Oct 01 that I have frozen several packages to make during the cold winter months.