Community Message Boards

Thread: Tarragon substitution

Tarragon substitution

My recipe calls for tarragon and I don't have any. I went to the store and they didn't have it either (a run on tarragon?!). Can I substitute something else? I am trying to wait to buy any more spices until Penzey's opens here sometime later this month.
    TIA
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Lynda

Do you have fennel seed or aniseed? I think either of those would be a good substitution for tarragon, which has that same sort of "black licorice-y" flavor.

To be honest anise is not a flavor I like much. I realize using something else would change the flavor. Could I just substitute something that I like, like basil or thyme?
    TIA
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Lynda

Sorry, Lynda, I must have missed this posting last night. Cook's Thesaurus (www.foodsubs.com) says the following:

"The French are especially fond of this aromatic, anise-like herb. They often use it to flavor delicately flavored foods like eggs, fish, cheese, and chicken, and it's an indispensable ingredient in sauce béarnaise and in the herb mixture the French call fines herbes. Use it sparingly--a little goes a long way. Frozen tarragon is an excellent substitute for fresh, but use the dried version only in a pinch. Substitutes: dill OR basil OR marjoram OR fennel seed OR anise seed OR angelica "

lweiss,
    I don't care for tarragon either and have found that Marjoram is a good substitute. It can be used with anything from meats to veggies.

Thank you so much. I have used tarragon in the past because I am afraid to alter a recipe, but I would rather use something else. I have never used marjoram. I guess I'll give it a try. I love basil and dill, though.

Lynda