Community Message Boards

Thread: substitute for chopped scallions

substitute for chopped scallions

I'm kind of new to cooking and I am in the middle of a recipe that calls for scallions chopped. Is there a substitution for this? Would reg onions be ok?
    Jessica

Hi Jessica~
    It would probably be fine to use regular onion but it might be better to use chives. It depends on what the recipe is. I've subbed both for scallions at times. What are you making? Here's what Cook's Thesaurus says:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html
    green onion = scallion = bunching onion = shallot (in Australia) = spring onion (in Britain) = Chinese onion = stone leek = cibol Equivalents: 1 bunch = 1/4 pound = 1/2 cup sliced Notes: These are onions that have small bulbs and long green stalks. They're usually eaten raw, but you can also grill or sauté them. Some people also use the term green onions to refer to onion tops, shallot tops and young leeks. Substitutes: spring onions OR leeks OR shallots OR chives (if used raw)

Thanks for your quick response!!!! I am making spinach balls for a party tomorrow and I had my own recipe but began looking on the board and found another which seems really popular. They both use scallions though so I still have the same problem! I don't think it is an crucial part of the recipe so onions may work. Thanks again!!

I bet the regular onions would do fine in that recipe if finely diced. Let us know how they come out! Good luck!