Community Message Boards

Thread: Acorn Squash question

Question Acorn Squash question

I bought an acorn squash a while back, maybe a couple of months ago or longer. It was green then. It's now orange but is still firm. Is it okay? Is it probably still good?
    fixitplan.com
    Our Journey Back From Heart Attack

I've kept acorn squashes on my counter for quite a long time. I don't know that I've ever had one turn orange though. I would just split it in half (one or two minutes on high in the microwave will make it easier to cut) and see what it looks like. I would think it would be ok if it looks ok.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I have seen orange acorn squashes in the grocery store, so my guess is that it should be OK.

acorn squash is a winter squash which pretty much means they keep a long time if stored out of like sunlight and humidity. don't refridgerate it and it should be just fine to eat. usually the flavors get better the longer you keep it.
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

"don't refridgerate it and it should be just fine to eat."

I stuck mine in the fridge about a month ago - after it began to turn orange. Did I ruin it? Can I still eat it?

Beth I don't think it'll hurt to eat it. The first acorn squash I ever bought I put in the fridge and I left it there for a week but I didn't notice a taste difference because it was the first time I had tried some (it still tasted good to me). Refridgerating winter squash actually makes it taste stringy and it might rot faster but if your squash looks okay on the outside I wouldn't be afraid to eat it. I hope I'm not sounding too vague here
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Thanks everybody for the replies to my question. I went to Wild Oats yesterday and noticed for the first time that many of their acorn squashes were almost completely orange. I'm making a pork roast today in my slow cooker and will use the squash this week with leftovers. Now I'm sure it will be fine!
    fixitplan.com
    Our Journey Back From Heart Attack