Community Message Boards

Thread: Best way to roast vegetables?

Best way to roast vegetables?

Yes, it is a simple question, but I was wondering what the best way is to roast vegetables. How do you season? Thanks for your help!

I either toss with a little olive oil or spray with Garlic cooking spray, then sprinkle/toss with garlic powder, cayenne, or my favorite, which is the Penzeys Northwoods Fire Seasoning! Totally yummy on Roasted Broccoli, and it's mildly salted too! They're then spread single layer on a baking sheet and roasted at 450* for about 10 minutes!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

The best roast vegetables, IMHO, are made in the bottom of a pan in which a chicken is roasting. But for those days when you *don't* want a chicken-schmaltz soaked morsel, here are my pointers:

1. Cut the veggies to around the same size. This will keep the carrots from disintegrating while the potatoes are still rock hard.

2. Add some whole, peeled garlic cloves. Marvelous to come across as you are eating your vegetables.

3. Toss with some olive oil. Even if you can only justify a teaspoon or so, there is a huge difference.

4. Season highly. Salt, pepper, of course, and then flavors that will compliment the rest of your meal. My all-purpose roasted veggie blend is rosemary, thyme, basil, anise seed (aka fennel seed), and a shake or two of red pepper flakes. But experiment....I have used cinnamon, chili powder, dill....not all at once, of course, but to go with the rest of the meal.

5. Roast at high heat. I am a high heat roaster generally, and I really think that you get a better crunch and more caramelization at 400 than you ever would at 325 or 350. If there is nothing else in the oven, I roast veggies at 500.

6. Re-season when they come out: a little more salt and pepper, a splash of vinegar or a squirt of lemon....brightens the flavors.

Enjoy!

Jen

Does it really only take 10 minutes?? I've seen recipes that call for much longer. Plus, your basic baked potato takes 40 minutes. I typically steam or stir-fry my veggies, but would love to start roasting for something different. thx.

roasted vegetables

We used the following CL roasted veggie recipe this past weekend and loved it. Had to alter it a bit, to use what was at hand for last minute company--everyone raved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polenta with Roasted Vegetables
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
    4 cups (1-inch) pieces zucchini (about 2 medium)
    2 1/2 cups (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper (about 2 peppers)
    1 cup (1-inch) pieces red onion
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
    2 (16-ounce) tubes polenta, each cut crosswise into 12 slices
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
    Basil sprigs (optional)

Directions
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cooking Time: 40 minutes

Preheat oven to 475. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 475 for 25 minutes or until tender, stirring after 15 minutes. Stir in basil, vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.Preheat broiler. Place polenta slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Broil 7 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Spoon roasted vegetables over polenta; sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with basil, if desired.

Preparation Time:
    20 mins.

Cooking Time:
    40 mins.

Total Time:
    No Data

Servings/Serving Size:
    4 servings (serving size: 1 cup vegetables, 6 polenta slices, and 2 tablespoons cheese).

Nutrition Facts
    (per Serving):
    288 calories

45.3 g carbohydrates

13 mg cholesterol

7.2 g fat

713 mg sodium

8.9 g protein

109 mg calcium

3.4 mg iron

7 g fiber

I just use my Misto and spray a baking pan with it, put whatever veggie I want roasted (today it was broccoli), misto a little, generously sprinkle kosher salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes. SO good. It was honestly better than candy today.