Community Message Boards

Thread: dessert auction

dessert auction

I need to make a dessert for my daughter's choir auction. I want to make something that is not too difficult, but yet will attract some bidders. Any suggestions?

Chcoclate Iclair Icebox Cake! It is easy and gets RAVE reviews! However, it has to be refrigerated, if this is a problem.
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I think the Mocha Fudge Pie looks and tastes great. It also needs to be kept cold. The coconut cake also looks beautiful and I think it is great. Something like an apple pie always looks great too. I like the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie from a few years ago.

Kim, you read my tiny mind! This dessert is the greatest thing I've come across in some time, a definite winner.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

How about the Italian Cream Cake? With just a bit of fussing you can make it look so elegant and appealing to everyone.

Another idea----a pound cake made in a bundt pan; glaze lightly and decorate with whole nuts or candied fruit. Or a fruit tart with the fruit pieces arranged nicely---.

For a dessert auction I would go with something that isn't light. Hershey's Ultimate Chocolate Layer Cake is absolutely to die for!!!!!! The CL cake seems to be a lightened version of this cake. I make it for birthdays.

Red Velvet Cake!

Why don't you make a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Yum. There will probably be a few people who absolutely love red velvet and will bid high just to get their favorite. If you need a recipe, let me know. I think there are a couple of good ones posted here if you do a search.

You could also do a German chocolate cake, but somebody else will probably do that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I haven't had a red velvet cake. I have heard about them. How should I say this...what's so great about red velvet cake?

I grew up in the south and red velvet cakes were always popular because they are unique. They are a deep red color, have an interesting texture, and they taste almost like a chocolate cake but "different". About.com has a whole article on red velvet cakes. I pasted it below. Also, I put the best recipe under it. It tastes good with a basic cream cheese icing.

Red Velvet Cake

Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as Southern as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time in the 1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria granted a diner's request for the recipe, then a short time later sent her a bill in the amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently with revenge in mind, then began circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend with the same storyline is the $250 Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

Home cooks do seem to love cakes with an unusual story or a "secret ingredient." Wacky cake, tomato soup cake and mayonnaise cake are just a few of the unusual cakes we all have in our recipe files, so it's no wonder Southern cooks embraced the delicious and colorful red velvet cake. Despite its rather tainted roots, the cake turned out to be a winner, perfect for Christmas, Valentines Day, and just about any occasion.

Most of the Waldorf red velvet cake recipes below come from forum members and many include a cream cheese or cooked frosting recipe, but it would be delicious with any white frosting you choose. Enjoy!

Red Velvet Cake

1/2 cup shortening
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 Tbl cocoa
    1 1/2 oz red food coloring
    1 tsp salt
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp soda
    1 Tbl vinegar
    Cream shortening; add sugar gradually. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well. Make paste of cocoa and coloring; add to creamed mixture. Add salt, flour and vanilla alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Sprinkle soda over vinegar; pour vinegar over batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake in 3 8-inch pans or 2 9-inch pans for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cream Cheese Icing

1/2 cup butter, softened
    8 ounces cream cheese
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended.
    2 Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy

Easy napoleons!

Here's one that gets lots of oohs and ahs...it's quixk and easy too.

Puff pastry
    Instant French Vanilla Pudding
    Whipped cream or Koolwhip (lite is OK)
    2 cups of fruit - strawberries, mangoes, blueberries or raspberries
    Confectioner's sugar
    Vanilla or almond extract
    Chocolate flavored decorating gel or melted semi-sweet chocolate

Roll out a sheet of puff pastry to about 12" x 12" and cut it into 3" x 4" rectangles. Bake them at 400? degrees for about 10 minutes. Let them cool on a rack.

Make a batch of instant french vanilla pudding.

Lighten it about 50-50 by folding in whipped cream or Koolwhip (light is OK).

Split the puff pastry rectangles in half lengthwise.

Spread about 1/2" of pudding mix on the bottom piece, top with some fruit, put another layer of pudding.

Make a simple icing using 1 cup confectioner's sugar thinned with 1-2 tbsp milk and extract. Spread a thin coat of this icing over the top puff paste rectangle. Put the iced puff pastry rectangle on the top of the second layer of pudding.

Make a decorative squiggle with gel or melted chocolate.

I immediately too thought of CL's Mocha Fudge Pie!! This is so good and pretty! Speak of...I haven't made this is quit a long time..hmm...