Community Message Boards

Thread: Any substitute for spinach in a recipe?

Any substitute for spinach in a recipe?

My dh takes a blood thinner and is not supposed to eat spinach.
    There are so many good recipes that have spinach in them, ie
    Hearty Bean and Barley Soup 10/01 pg117.
    What can I use as a substitute, or can the spinach be omitted?
    Curleytop

Some other greens, such as chard, could be substituted -- I was just reading through the vegetable section of Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" and she mentions this ....

But, they might also have the same effect as spinach, regarding the blood thinner. You should probably ask the doctor or pharmacist, just to be sure.

I hit the "submit" button too fast ...

Also meant to add that the Hearty Bean and Barley Soup is fantastic -- probably won't suffer much if you just left the spinach or whatever out entirely.

Thanks, I was thinking of leaving out the spinach altogether too!
    But I needed to check with some of you that had made the soup to see if it was an essential ingredient!
    Curleytop

I haven't substituted when making soups, but when I make Italian dishes (pasta & cheese), I sub chopped broccoli for the spinach. I don't have anything against spinach, I just don't care much for it with pasta and cheese.

Your concern for spinach may be unwarranted...
    I am sure the concern was the Vitamin K content (this vitamin assists in helping to coagulate blood)... but though large doses of vitamin K (found in fish, liver, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts) can decrease the effects of the medicine it does not mean that you should stop eating these foods, just be careful how much is being consumed.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

My DH can't eat spinach because it is the one food that triggers his gout. We often substitute kale, chopped broccoli or dark romaine lettuce for spinach in recipes.
    Barbara
    ----------
    The best inspiration is a deadline.