Community Message Boards

Thread: Bulgur substitue

Question Bulgur substitue

I have a recipe that I am wanting to try that calls for bulgur. I am vagulely familiar with what bulgur is, but I can't seem to locate in any of the grocery stores in the small town that I live in.
    I have looked in the foreign food section, with the rices, with flours, and with breakfast foods, even asked one person at Winn Dixie and she had never even heard of it. Is there anything that I could substitute for the bulgur....I'm make a chili recipe from the Moosewood cooks at home cookbook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

Cool

Okay, that's IT.

I have a habit of misreading things. This thread, I thought, asked for a "Vulgar sustitute."

So now that I've got you reading this and I know absolutely nothing about bulgur, I'd better put up or shut up.

...wait...

Here's what our friend, the Cook's Thesaurus has to say on the subject:

bulgur = bulgur wheat = ala = birghil = bulgar = bulghur = burghal = burghul Pronunciation: BUHL-guhr or BOOL-guhr Equivalents: One cup of dry bulgur yields about 3 cups of cooked bulgur. Notes: Bulgur is made from whole wheat that's been soaked and baked to speed up the cooking time. It's especially popular in the Middle East, where it's used to make tabouli and pilafs. Bulgur comes either whole, or cracked into fine, medium, or coarse grains. To make your own: Bring to a boil one part rinsed whole wheat berries plus two parts water or other liquid, then simmer the berries are tender (about one hour). Spread the berries on a cookie sheet and bake in a 225 F oven, stirring occasionally, until dry (about one hour). Grind in a blender or crush with a rolling pin. Substitutes: cracked wheat (takes longer to cook) OR couscous OR quinoa (especially in tabouli) OR wheat berries (This works well in tabouli, but the berries need to be cooked first) OR rice OR couscous

...so at least it wasn't a total loss reading this...

Thanks so much for your reply......so I can use coucous or rice.....that is GREAT.

I am a new member, but I'm not vulgur!!!
    LOL.

Thanks again for your help.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

i've used couscous with good results.

previously, i bought bulgur at wild oats in bulk and stored it in a rubbermaid container. when i went to use it, i found all these bugs crawling around, and i've been grossed out about bulgur ever since. so needless to say, i've used quite a bit of couscous instead!

marisa

I want to know what Gail's vulgur substitute was going to be?

Hmmmmmmmmm?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I've seen cracked wheat sold in boxes in the oatmeal section and small bags in the baking section. I'm not sure if this is exactly the same as bulgar since I don't think is has been soaked and baked but it would probably be fine as a substitute for cooked bulgar. Not sure if it would work in something soaked but not cooked like tabouli.
    Anne

You can also use quinoa. Just add a bit more water and cook for a little longer. I had a Kasha Varniskes recipe and I substituted quinoa for bulger. Quinoa packs a huge protien punch.

Dena.
    "Live!! Live!! Live!! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"
    ~Auntie Mame

Look for tabouli

Look for one of those boxes/kits for making Tabouli. The main ingredient will be bulgur and it probably is in a separate package from the spices. I hate to recommend this as those "boxed" kits are so much more expensive...