Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Lipstick?

Best Lipstick?

At the risk of sounding really shallow and lame, I hate to ask this...but what's your best lipstick brand - one that won't come off for anything? (Side note: I know we all hate the beauty pages of CL so I don't want to make the editors think we actually like to talk about this stuff but I figure I can't trust anything they write about products anyway because they've all been coerced by the cosmetic company publicists to do so - I'd rather hear YOUR opinions.)

I'm such a dork that many days I won't eat lunch (or eat something not messy at least!) to avoid losing any lipstick. I can never remember to bring the one I put in on the AM to reapply after lunch and reapplying always seems to look worse anyway. I've sworn by MAC for years and think they make exceptional lipstick - I usually have to scrub it off at the end of the day - but it does come off a bit on cups, etc. Has anyone tried that new Cover Girl Outlast stuff that has the clear coat?

I know, I know, shallow and trivial question, forgive me!

One of my co-workers swears by Lipfinity. I don't have any personal experience with it (I use Lipsexxy by Ultima II, which I do reapply often), but I've eaten lunch with her and sure enough, her lipstick is still perfect even after she's done.

I swear by Revlon. Have used it for years!
    Chris

I like Aveda, it will come off on your cup, but has some serious staying power.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I love the Bobbi Brown lipsticks. Kinda expensive, but well worth it.

I have been a "Clinique girl" for years. I love their lipstick because it's creamy and the colors are so natural. The "chubby sticks" that the market stay on for hours and are not dry like some of the long-lasting lip colors are. Way OT here, but on a side note, I can no longer use Clinique's skin care system because it dries out my skin terribly.

One of the nice things about Aveda lipstick is that it doesn't bleach your lips. My hair stylist pointed out that some lipsticks rob your lips of their natural color.

I love lipstick I'm such a girl

Sarah

I'm with Eva! I use Ultima II Lipsexxy, but they discontinued my color (Not Too Naked)! I found it on a discount store online and ordered 10 of 'em! I wish I could try MAC, but I can never find it!

Who makes Lipfinity? And isn't that the one that's really gooey and shiny? I like a matte finish...
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Jewel - Max Factor makes Lipfinity. A trip to epinions.com and I've learned that Lipfinity and Cover Girl Outlast are virtually the same thing - the color with the clear coat that goes over top - but Lipfinity got better reviews so I may give that a try. I'm surprised to hear good things about a drugstore lipstick but I'll give it a go and see. (Like I really need any more lipsticks!)

Hey Sassafras! I'm from Grand Rapids too!! Howdy!! Where are you located?

I'm also a Clinique girl and swear by the Chubby sticks. I've had to change my skin care a bit now that I'm a little older, but still use Clinique products, just different ones (age spot fighters tee hee!)

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I'm not really a lipstick girl since I don't wear it everyday. However, I do wear it sometimes and I really like Aveda and Chanel. These are the only brands I have tried that didn't get dry and clumpy after a few hours. Hate that!!

Sassafras- I had the same problem with Clinique skin care! I had to stop using it because it made me dry and itchy!!

Agreed on Bobbi Brown, I love her lipsticks, they stay on for a pretty decent amount of time w/out drying your lips out.

I have used Cover Girl Outlast, and it DOES last - I have to use eye makeup remover to get it off! The color stays on, but you have to reapply the gloss pretty often, or else your lips feel dry and chalky. And forget changing colors in the middle of the day (which I do, from time to time) - this stuff ain't budging until you take makeup remover to it. Which is great if that's what you're shooting for.

Also, you have to be really careful when you're applying, b/c when the package says "semi-permanent," it doesn't care if it's on your lips or on your chin, it is staying put until you take it off (yes, I learned this the hard way).

Good news, it stays on after a nice long kiss from DH!!!

I haven't bought more, because I get sketched out by lipstick I can't try on and wear in different lights, but I was happy with the color I did try - I think it was called Sunset or something like that, it was sort of a brick red color.

Hope this helps -
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I like the Clinique chubby sticks as well. Origins makes something really simliar with some great colors too. Since I'm not a big lipstick wearer, these really do it for me.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Not a big lipstick wearer either, but I do like the Chubby Sticks by Clinique, too. I can't remember my color-Blackberry, maybe.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Originally posted by Jewel
    I'm with Eva! I use Ultima II Lipsexxy, but they discontinued my color (Not Too Naked)! I found it on a discount store online and ordered 10 of 'em! I wish I could try MAC, but I can never find it!
    I know the feeling. They discontinued my much-loved Eyesexxy eye liner pencil (all of them!), and I've yet to find anyone else who makes a color that comes close to Peep (a light brown, hazel-ish color). Lucky for me my lipstick hasn't gone to the grave yet (Better than Chocolate).

Doesn't Nordstrom's sell MAC?

I am a lipstick ADDDIIIDDIDIDIDIDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have virtually EVERY brand out there....though not every color

Maybelline Great LIp stays on, so does Loreal Hydrasoft, as does Sally Hansen Colorfast. Trucco by Sebastein (from hair salons only) is really great too, but not their glossy ones.
    Seems like the less expensive ones last the longest.
    I have gloss sticks from Shisiedo and Origins that don't last nearly as long....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I love Max Factor's lipfinity! It really stays on. My mom, sister, friends, and many co-workers now wear it. I only apply my make-up before the leaving hte house, so once it's off, it's off. So, I think it's really cool to still have lip color all day.

If you don't like a glossy finish, you just don't apply the top clear coat. Though I do like the feel of my lips better with that on.

My only complaint is that a color I always like (a red/brown/cocoa type color??), I can't find on lipfinity. Maybe I should try the CoverGirl Outlast.

MAC gal all the way!!!

I love their product. The foundations and coverup are amazingly light and they have such an extensive array of color for eyes and lips.

I also get a 30% discount for being a singer! woohoo!!!!

JeAnne, MAC addict
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Aveda makes a tinted lip balm that I adore - it gives a little color and keeps your lips so soft. Otherwise, I wear Revlon Colorstay

I have had the best luck with Trucco lipstick. It seems to stay on the longest for me.

Peggy

I don't wear lipstick often, but I am well-supplied with Clinique lipsticks that I get "free" when I stock up during their sale giveaways. I LOVE Guava Stain (Different Lipstick)- it was included several years ago in one of the free gifts and it is one of the few that I've actually purchased again and again over the years.

But I never leave the house without a little bit of lip color- my favorite choice is Blistex Lip Tone lip balm- a soft, natural-looking rose tone, with 15 SPF, in a great balm. It adds color without looking like lipstick. Any lipstick- no matter the brand, seems to dry out my lips, so I always start with a base of this.

I also love Neutrogena's Moistureshine lip glosses. I'm not a shiny makeup person but I think a touch of gloss, 'specially on the lower lip- is really pretty. I feel too old in strictly matte lip color. In the summertime, I live in "First Blush".
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I'm a Clinique-free-gift girl, too. Used to wear Revlon, but DH doesn't like the way it "tastes" . Dubonnet (a nice bright red) is my current favorite color - especially now that my hair is a deep chocolate brown with mahogony highlights. Can't believe that I avoided coloring my hair for so long - it's fun! Based on the reviews here I think I'm going to try out some Lipfinity. I eat my lipstick off in no time flat.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast

Re: Best Lipstick?

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious
    ...I know, I know, shallow and trivial question, forgive me!
    Actually, I don't think it's a shallow OR trivial question, especially since finding a workable solution is so challenging.

There's an article in the Feb. 2002 edition of Allure Magazine, discussing the ways that cosmetics, beauty treatments and good grooming practices can help people suffering from depression feel a bit better. The author makes the distinction that the opposite of depression isn't happiness, but vitality, and that looking good can be a first step in feeling good. Every little bit helps, right?
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

Such a good thread! I am a pathological lipstick/gloss/make-up purchaser - right now my favs are Sebastian Trucco glosses (they have great staying power) and a great color is the Viva Vegas, also Estee Lauder - Go Pout - in 02-Peachy - now these are the colors I prefer - with a liner in just a tad darker - they just look so good! While we are on the 'make-up' subject - you gals should try the Total Radiance by Christian Dior - you mix with moisturizer or foundation - just incredible!
    Elaine

I love Bobbi Brown. It is all I wear. Not only does it last long, but I find it moisturizes as well which is important at this time of year! I think it is definately worth the extra money and the trip into Neimans or Nordstroms to find it!

I'm not a big make-up person. I tend to wear very very little. (To the point that when I actually wear my lipstick and gloss - my DF tells me I have something on my lips - - grrr.)

But, I love Trish McEvoy!! The make-up is great - and the lipstick lasts for ages.

Ms. Chevious,

Just curious if you tried CoverGirl Outlast or MaxFactor Lipfinity. If so, what did you think?

Jennifer

I have WAY too many lipsticks that are mostly variations of the same shade. My favorite brands are Prescriptives and Stila. Both have a creamy feel and go on smoothly. I also like MAC, but the matte shades dry my lips out too much. LORAC is also a new brand (for me) and the two I have tried I have liked a lot, though I do seem to have to reapply more often.

Jewel, if your looking for MAC, Nordstrom's is the only place I know locally to find it.
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

Originally posted by JanetJ
    Jewel, if your looking for MAC, Nordstrom's is the only place I know locally to find it.
    I've lived in this state now for over nine years...and until I was searching for a wedding dress in 1999 I had never seen the inside of Nordstrom! In fact, I wasn't impressed and have never been back... I may have to venture in one more time and see what this MAC thing is all about! Incidentally, I ended up buying my wedding dress at Sears!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

This is a thread that makes me very happy! I am never ever without lipstick. Well....just when I sleep!

I have tried the Cover Girl long-lasting lipstick, and it really does work. But I agree with the posts above: you have to apply the clear gloss over and over all day, otherwise your lips feel freezedried, plus it's really hard to get off. I felt like I had nail polish on my lips! It's really chemically smelling too, so I can't really recommend it.

My recommendation is: reapply!! Maybe you should buy duplicates of a couple of your favorite basic shades so you can have one at home and one in your purse? That way, you won't ever be without a shade you like!

My favorite brands: Lorac, Vincent Longo, Benefit, Calvin Klein, Delux, Stila, Laura Mercier.....who am I kidding? I love ALL lipstick!! My obsessions right now are Benefit's Just Right and Vincent Longo's Madison, though I've been wearing Clinique's Plum Brandy for the past few days.

By the way, if you can get recommendations for good shades, you can get most brands and colors through Sephora, a makeup store with a nice website that's my idea of heaven. Any other Sephora addicts out there?

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Originally posted by Elisabeth
    Any other Sephora addicts out there?
    I adore Sephora! Have you tried any Makeup For Ever products? I love the Rouge Pinceau lip color with the little brush. Gorgeous color, plus it has a brush, so I don't have to use my fingers. (Their Star Powder (eye shadow/general shimmer)is my favorite product though.)

I've always wanted to try a Jean Patou "Le Lipstick" since the case seems so elegant, but they are SO expensive! With one of those I think I'd start thinking of reasons to reapply my lipstick in public.
    Anna
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist