Community Message Boards

Thread: what is a 3/8 cup??

what is a 3/8 cup??

Maybe I am just really math deficient but what exactly is a 3/8 cup?
    I wanted to make the chocolate chip scones from Alice Medrich's Chocolate and the art of low fat desserts...but it calls for 3/8 cup of sugar and brown sugar.
    What exactly is that....obviously two 1/4 cup equals 1/2
    What am I missing???

That is a goofy measurement, and usually is only a result of someone trying to halve a normal recipe (it equals half of 3/4 cup). But each 1/8 cup = 2 Tblsp., so to get 3/8 cup, you could measure out 1/2 cup, and remove 2 Tblsp. (or the reverse, measure out 1/4 cup, and ADD 2 Tblsp.! ). Hope that helps.

oh thank you, that does help!

GRACE!!!!!!!! I wish you lived in my kitchen...
    I'm always screaming out at my DH...."what's half of ....">....
    and when he gives me something weird, like 3/8 cup I yell back...
    "in REAL numbers please!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm printing and pasting this to my refrigerator....
    THANKYOU>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by Grace
    But each 1/8 cup = 2 Tblsp., so to get 3/8 cup, you could measure out 1/2 cup, and remove 2 Tblsp. (or the reverse, measure out 1/4 cup, and ADD 2 Tblsp.! ). Hope that helps.
    At the risk of having rotten vegetables thown at me...

Couldn't you just measure 1/8 a cup 3 times...*doh* was my reaction when I figured this out.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Except not everyone has an 1/8 cup measureóa standard coffee scoop is 1/8 cup, but not everyone knows that either.

I was trying to figure out how many Tablespoons it was total, but Grace's solution is far more elegant, and quicker. Unfortunately, the workings of my mind are quite convoluted. I almost never do things simply when I can find a more complicated way.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Originally posted by sushibones
    I was trying to figure out how many Tablespoons it was total...
    It's 6 tablespoons.

1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons
    1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons
    1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons
    etc.

You can always keep in mind the following and divide out accordingly:
    1 cup = 16 tablespoons = 48 teaspoons

Actually I knew that there are 4 Tbs in 1/4 cup, and I usually work from that standard, but I find as I get older, I can no longer do the same quick mental gymnastics in my head that I used to be able to do. I was coming up with 12, instead of 6. Eventually, I would have realized my mistake since I was still in the ruminating phase. What I was trying to say was that I was trying to work out the answer in Tbs in order to give a precise answer, while Grace just got right to the point, and gave an practical answer, and an easy way to measure as well.

See, even my explanations wind up being convoluted. But I have other good qualities. Just ignore my wierd idiosyncrasies, and repeat after me, "Susan is really a knowledgeable and nice person, despite the fact that....(fill in the blank).
    Susan

So many books--So little time.