Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition Bars...again!

Barrie,

I actually enjoy a cup of Lemon Pledge at night before I go to sleep! Ha ha -- you got me!! I SHOULD have written, "If Lemon Pledge was a Luna Bar flavor, this is what Lemon Zest tastes like." I had a feeling a left an opening for someone to rib me -- and it was you!! Well, all I know is that Lemon Zest Luna Bars have this weird after taste.

Sweet Dreams and Chai Tea flavors rule!

Happy Easter!

Amy

Originally posted by gertdog
    Okay, I'm munching on a Sweet Dreams Luna Bar right now. It turns out it's like a chocolate rice krispy treat with peanuts in it, plus a coating that I think is supposed to taste like peanuts. It's pretty good, but I think I liked the PB&J better.

Don't know why they call it Sweet Dreams... like Becky, I also thought of chamomile when I saw the name.

DD and I both tried the Sweet Dreams flavor. Liked it a lot, but couldn't quite identify the flavors! Looked on Luna's web site and all they had posted was the ingredient list, which we already knew didn't really tell us much!

So we e-mailed them asking what flavors were we supposed to be tasting?! They e-mailed back saying, "chocolate, peanut butter and caramel." So I thought that was interesting.

What that has to do with "SWEET DREAMS", though, I'll never know!!!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Oh, wow, Jewel ... thank you for recommending the Cliff Ice Series!! AFter church tonight, I was finally able to eat chocolate again, and I gave the Chocolate Mint Ice Bar a try. It's incredible -- and not just because it's my first chocolate in a few months! Wow! Move over Luna! Thanks!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Originally posted by Lynn B

So we e-mailed them asking what flavors were we supposed to be tasting?! They e-mailed back saying, "chocolate, peanut butter and caramel." So I thought that was interesting.

What that has to do with "SWEET DREAMS", though, I'll never know!!!

Lynn
    Huh... I don't taste the caramel at all. I guess that's what the mystery coating is supposed to be! But it's a pretty good flavor anyway.

I'm finding myself addicted to the PB&J flavor. And of course that's the one that Wegmans is constantly sold out of. :mad:

Originally posted by MKSquared
    Oh, wow, Jewel ... thank you for recommending the Cliff Ice Series!! AFter church tonight, I was finally able to eat chocolate again, and I gave the Chocolate Mint Ice Bar a try. It's incredible -- and not just because it's my first chocolate in a few months! Wow! Move over Luna! Thanks!
    OK Mary Kate, now you gotta try the Chocolate Java Avalanche...that bar is totally sinful! The roasted coffee beans add crunch, and I love the mix of flavors! I alternate between that, the Chocolate Mint, and the Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif bar! In my meeting this morning they brought donuts, and while everyone else was greasing the roof of their mouths, I had my Java bar! Two people leaned over and said "What IS that...? It looks so good!"
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Jewel,

You've got me craving that Chocolate Avalance Java Bar! Is this part of the Ice Series? I went to Trader Joe's on Sunday looking for the Ice Series, and they don't carry them. Bummer. Do you really like these better than Luna Bars? I have tried the Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif Bar and enjoyed it. However, I prefer Luna Bars b/c Clif Bars seem are heavier and have more lots more carbos (not that that's a bad thing).
    Amy

Just had to mention....

I have been working out with a friend who is doubling as my personal trainer. The payment: Cliff Bars! I thought this would be no big deal because I had found them at Costco, but that must have been a one time thing. I have been back twice and could not find them. I am going to check at Target today, but if anyone else finds them for a good price, please let me know! Thanks, Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

Originally posted by AmyJane
    Jewel,

You've got me craving that Chocolate Avalance Java Bar! Is this part of the Ice Series? I went to Trader Joe's on Sunday looking for the Ice Series, and they don't carry them. Bummer. Do you really like these better than Luna Bars? I have tried the Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif Bar and enjoyed it. However, I prefer Luna Bars b/c Clif Bars seem are heavier and have more lots more carbos (not that that's a bad thing).
    Amy, I have never tried Luna bars. Personally, I'm so satisfied with the Clif that I won't change! Plus, I like the extra 'heft' and nutrition that the Clif bars have. And yes, the Java one is an Ice series. My TJ's carries them! Try another store, maybe a Whole Foods if you have one around, or ask the TJ's if they carry them and are just out? Last time I restocked I found the peanut butter and the Ice Mint Chocolate in boxes, but the Java were loose in the bin so I just cleaned them out of the 9 they had! And as for more carbs, since it's got 10 grams of protein I don't look at the extra carbs as a bad thing. As long as carbs are eaten WITH protein, they can only help curb your hunger longer!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I have tried many many of the nutrition bars, as I usually find them convenient for a quick breakfast.
    Here are my picks!

I agree with those of you that have posted that the Cliff Bars (both regular and Ice versions) are fantastic - mainly because they have a lot of texture and taste, and they take you a while to chew, making you feel like you've eaten a lot more! They seem to fill me up for a decent length of time as well. These are my favourite "all around bars" since there is a good variety of them, and even the non-chocolate ones are good! They are definitely more of a "home made" bar. MMMM, tasty.

I also really like the GeniSoy bars, I have tried the chocolate mint, chocolate fudge coated and the peanut butter. The first two have more of a "brownie" texture with chocolate coating, and the peanut butter one is chewier with a more "caramel-like" texture.
    I like these as much as the Cliff bars, it just depends on my craving at the time! They have about 14 g of soy protein too.

The Luna Bars are also very good, but they are a lot smaller than the Cliff Bars and don't tide me over as much and I don't feel as satisfied after eating one. The Lemon Zest is tasty, if maybe a little sweet. Good for a snack, since unlike the Cliff Bars 250 calories, these only have 180 or so.

I also eat the Slim Fast Meal on the Go's: peanut butter chocolate, cookie dough and brownie ones. They are good but definitely drier than the above two and sometimes a little too sweet (I could not eat them every day as part of the "slim fast plan" though!)

Balance Bars are pretty good too, I like the Honey Peanut Best (coated with chocolate)

The bar I do NOT recommend are those old standbys: Power Bars...they are good if you are on a long hike and don't want your bars to melt, but I find them pretty disgusting - like eating the chewing gum stuck under a chair. (The Power Bar Harvest's are pretty good though, like granola bars)

I have also tried many others whose names I can't remember - obviously not very good, and lots leave a gross "iron" aftertaste.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Luna Bars. They are GREAT! At first, I thought they looked kind of small and insubstantial, but I was wrong. They are very compact, dense and filling. I can't believe they have so much protein and so little fat. The flavor I tried was the chocolate pecan pie.

The Kashi Go Leans are next on my "to-try" list.

Anna, thanks for bringing up this thread. I have to read it later when I have more time, but I just want to add that I LOVE Kashi Go Lean Bar. They're great! Trader Joe's have it 99 cents!

I've been on those bar kick, but wondering if eating them everyday might not be a good idea, because of sugar contents. Plus, I've read somewhere that they're made from full of chemicals and not so natural.... I don't know, I'm trying to not to eat everyday, so far.

That said, I still LOVE Go Lean. My favorite is cookie and cream, and peanut butter flavor. Oh, I like spice cake, too.

I have just one word for ya'll.. Detour

At Trader Joes. The small bars have 15 g of protein and about 150 calories. The larger bar is 30 g of protein (and 300 calories.) I have only seen the smaller bars at our Trader Joes but GNC carries the larger ones. Brought to you by the folks who make Designer Whey Protein.

These taste like a Snickers bar. (They also have one called U-turn, but it's not quite as good.)

The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Nori, I don't eat nutrition bars every day, but I've been doing some traveling lately and finding the need to eat something nourishing on the go. Nutrition bars are perfect. I really didn't think they'd be very satisfying, but they are. I'll definitely pick up a Kashi Go Lean bar on your recommendation.

Mary, we don't have Trader Joe's in Austin, but I'll look for the Detour bars. We do have GNC, so maybe they are there. I love Snickers bars and you really can't beat 15 grams of protein for 150 calories.

You really need a thread like this if you're new to nutrition bars because there are just so many to choose from! I remember when the only nutrition bars you could buy were Carnation breakfast bars (which were probably no better than having a Snickers and a vitamin) and these weird, chewy bars called "Tiger's Milk" which you could only buy at GNC.

Originally posted by MaryH
    I have just one word for ya'll.. Detour

At Trader Joes. The small bars have 15 g of protein and about 150 calories. The larger bar is 30 g of protein (and 300 calories.) I have only seen the smaller bars at our Trader Joes but GNC carries the larger ones. Brought to you by the folks who make Designer Whey Protein.

These taste like a Snickers bar. (They also have one called U-turn, but it's not quite as good.)

Mary,
    What flavors do those bars at TJs come in? And how much fiber is in them? I actually have my sister bringing me a TJs order next week so I'll have her pick me up some to try! Thanks for the info!
    Lynn

P.S. I loved seeing this thread resurrected, too!

Just my 2 cents... I LOVE the MOCHA JAVA flavor of the Kashi Go Lean bars, and they have 5 or 6 grams of fiber per bar (which is something I always note). They are YUMMY! I also really liked the Clif Ice bar in Chocolate Java Avalanche flavor - but it's been discontinued!

Also love S'mores flavor of Luna. I don't eat any of these bars every day, but they do come in quite handy for a ocassional quick and easy "on-the-road" snack.

Lynn

Just tried the Slim Fast Peanut Butter Bar (for dessert). It wasn't awful, but it wasn't nearly as yummy as the Luna Bar.

Lynn, I'm sorry I don't have one in the house right now, otherwise I'd look it up for you. I don't remember the fiber being way high or low so I can't say.

Originally posted by MaryH
    Lynn, I'm sorry I don't have one in the house right now, otherwise I'd look it up for you. I don't remember the fiber being way high or low so I can't say.
    Mary,
    That's OK - and thanks anyway! I did some cruising around in the Internet and found this info on Detour bars...

Detour Bars: The world's first deluxe whey protein energy bar! What's the buzz surrounding DETOUR? It doesn't look like a regular protein bar, and it certainly doesn't taste like a regular protein bar. But it is! With 32 grams of protein-powered by Designer Whey- each delicious Detour Bar bite delivers a candy-bar taste you've never experienced before! Take a DETOUR and unleash the outrageous flavor of real roasted peanuts drowning in carmel... smothered in rich chocolate.

Nutrition Facts:
    Serving Size: 1 bar
    Servings Per: 12
    Calories: 290
    Fat Calories: 80
    Total Fat: 9g
    Sat. Fat: 3.5g
    Cholesterol: 40mg
    Sodium: 480mg
    Potassium: 150mg
    Total Carbs: 21g
    Dietary Fiber: 3g
    Sugars: 6g
    Proteins: 32g
    Riboflavin: .1mg
    Folate: 57mcg
    Vit B12: .75mg
    Calicium: 140mg
    Iron: .5mg
    Phosphorous: 153mg

Ingredients:
    Designer whey protein blend (whey protein concentrate, hydrolyzed whey protein, pduf whey protein isolate), water, glycerlean, chocolate coating, peanuts, caramel, soy protein isolate, gelatin, calcium caseinate, inulin, peanut flavor, rice flour, salt, sucralose-splenda brand, potassium sorbate.

Suggested Use:
    Eat one delicious bar as desired.

Warnings:
    Contains peanuts.

I still haven't figured out if they have different flavors yet. The fat content is a little high (9 gms) and I prefer a little more fiber than 3 gms, but I still would like to try them. So I'll add them to my list for dear sister!

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Lynn

Edited to add: Well, looks as though there is only one flavor currently - the Snickers flavor. Mmmmm, sounds so yummy!

I just bought two boxes of the Uturn bars, they are good, I bet I'd like the Detour more, but the Uturn were on sale at Vitaglo.com, I just bought them because I needed to spend more to get free shipping, how is that for rationization. Anyway the reason I posted... They are so filling I've cut them in half, never had a full one yet.
    Christie

Lynn, the Detour bars only come in the one flavor. They are the best bar I've tried. The first one I ate truly did taste just like a Snickers! The more I eat them, the more ho hum they seem. I am still very impressed with them, though, and eat a couple a week.

Originally posted by Laura B
    Lynn, the Detour bars only come in the one flavor. They are the best bar I've tried. The first one I ate truly did taste just like a Snickers! The more I eat them, the more ho hum they seem. I am still very impressed with them, though, and eat a couple a week.
    Yup, (I was going to say the same thing.) They're still better than most of the "chalky" stuff I went through before I found them.

I've just read through this thread and decided I needed to add my two cents.

I've tried a few different nutrition bars. I like them for a quick breakfast before I go golfing or play tennis in the morning. Easy and convenient. I have to buy them in the US and bring them to Angola with me, but they're something I really love to have around.

Anyway, I can't believe no one has mentioned the ZonePerfect bars. I really really like these. They are high protein (14 or 15 g) and have a lot less sugar than many of the other bars. They also have some fiber, although I can't remember how much because I've run out. The Chocolate Graham flavor is fantastic, but they also have Lemon Yogurt, Chocolate Raspberry, Peanutbutter Chocolate, and other flavors. They aren't chalky or too heavy because they aren't made of that dense weird stuff that so many bars are made of. They are made with soy nuggets, I think. They kind of have that rice crispy treat crunchiness. They also aren't as super-sweet as some nutrition bars are. I really like them.

Which takes me to the Balance bar. I don't mind the Balance bar. It tastes like a candy bar with caramel and nuts and chocolate. But, for me, I really don't want to eat a candy bar for breakfast. It's just way too much sugar at that time of day. It's probably good for later in the day, but for breakfast, I didn't like it.

I don't have much experience with Luna bars, but what I've tasted, I liked. But again, they have more sugar than the ZonePerfect bars and less protein, so when offered a choice, I choose the ZonePerfect bars.

I really didn't like the Kashi GoLean bars, although I really like Kashi GoLean cereal. The bars and big and filling, but I didn't like the texture.

I haven't tried the Clif bars or the Ice series.

I really like Pria bars, and they are similar texture to the ZonePerfect bars, but they are too small for breakfast. Not enough to get me though a round of golf. Maybe if I eat two... Again, they are pretty sweet and are a great snack bar.

The SlimFast peanut butter crunch snack bar is just like a candy bar. Yum. But it's no good for breakfast.

So, that's my two cents. Try the ZonePerfect bars. Really.

I went to GNC yesterday to buy some nutrition bars. The GNC guy said that Detour was the number 1 seller and that everyone loved them. He said the only complaint he'd heard was that it had too many (which really didn't apply to me) carbs. There is a new bar out though called Odyssy. He said the new Odyssy tasted just like Detour but had one carb. The other low carb bar that he said was popular was Myoplex. Has anyone tried Myoplex? Even though I'm not doing low carb, I bought one anyway.

I wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the Detour bars. They are yummy and taste like a Snickers bar! One bar has 30 gms protein, and I think about 300 calories. I am looking for a lot of protein, so it is great for me. I've tried many protein bars and feel that you can't beat the taste of the Detour bar. (They should hire me to do a plug, huh??!! )
    Dianne

Originally posted by claire797
    I went to GNC yesterday to buy some nutrition bars. The GNC guy said that Detour was the number 1 seller and that everyone loved them. He said the only complaint he'd heard was that it had too many (which really didn't apply to me) carbs. There is a new bar out though called Odyssy. He said the new Odyssy tasted just like Detour but had one carb. The other low carb bar that he said was popular was Myoplex. Has anyone tried Myoplex? Even though I'm not doing low carb, I bought one anyway.
    I have tried the Odyssey bars and IMHO they are better than most but not quite as good as the Detour bars. (Here Trader Joes also carries the Odyssey bars.) Myoplex is from EAS (this is the BFL company - originally founded by Bill Phillips). I have never tried the Myoplex bars, but the shakes are pretty good. As far as I know, in Ca. you can only buy Myoplex at GNC or Rite Aid. Trader Joes does not carry it. (The cheapest way to buy Myoplex is to order it from the web.)

Aa for the Zone bars, I like them - Chocolate Mint being my favorite. And I agree that a Detour bar is not what I would want first thing in the morning - it really does taste like a candy bar. (Having said that I almost never have a bar first thing in the morning, but if I am on the go, I may have one at 10:30 or 11:00 a.m.)

Re: Update!

Originally posted by Jewel
    Well, I just tried the Kashi Go Lean bar in Chocolate & Peanut Butter. I tried the Genisoy Chocolate Mint yesterday, and it was also very dense and more like a chewy candybar.
    both of these are very yucky to me. blech.

i love LUNA BARS! they are the best. also CLIFF BARS are not too bad either & seem bigger/more filling.

Cool

I DID NOT like the KGL bars when I first tried them... but my sister was so crazy about them that I tried them again... and they really did "grow" on me, and now I LOVELOVELOVE the Mocha Java flavor. It's the only flavor I really like though; the rest I can eat if I HAVE TO! Anyway, I think that their "texture" might make them a bit of an acquired taste. (Like wine and cavier and blue cheese!? )

Lynn

Butting in ... just a little FYI. There was some controversy regarding the innaccuracy of the nutritional information on the Detour bars. Here's a link to the correct information: Detour Bars Analysis. Few more calories, but more than double the sugar.

I agree with some others that so many bars out there are either too small or too sweet. I went through a short phase where I was eating them pretty often, but I haven't had one in a year or so. I look for relatively low calories and fat, but a good amount of protein (though 30g is too much for me!). I really like the PowerBar Sugar-Free ProteinPlus. I tried the Caramel Apple flavor once and found it way too sweet. I liked the Mocha Almond Fudge flavor - filled me up and tasted like a chewy candy bar without being overly sweet (170 calories, 4g fat, 19g carbs, 0g sugar, 16g protein). And now they have a Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor.

Anna, DBF used to eat the Myoplex bars occasionally, though they're not his favorite. I guess it depends on what you're looking for - DBF just wants a quick, high protein snack, and he doesn't care too much about taste (though he has found some to be too bad to eat). Incidentally, right now he really likes the Detour bars.
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Kristin, what do they use to sweeten the sugar-free Power Bars? And how's the texture? I have always found the regular Power Bars to have a terrible texture, like eating corrogated cardboard... (where's the "blech" smiley when you need it!)
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Rebecca, here's the ingredient list:

INGREDIENTS: PowerBar Trisource™ Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate [From Milk], Calcium Caseinate [From Milk], Soy Protein Isolate), Maltitol Syrup, Glycerine, Chocolatey Coating (Maltitol, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Alkalized Cocoa, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla), Natural Flavors, Alkalized Cocoa, Water, Soy Lecithin, Roasted Soy Beans, Oat Fiber, Sucralose

Maltitol is the sweetener. It's a sugar alcohol (the label lists 17g sugar alcohol). I found some information on the Whole Foods website. You can check it out here.

Oops - forgot to describe the texture. I'd say it's like a dense Three Musketeers bar (my favorite as a kid ). The Mocha Almond Fudge bar has a thin chocolate coating with a smooth chocolate middle with teeny tiny pieces of chopped almond. And I couldn't taste the mocha, which is good because I hate the taste of coffee.

HTH!
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.