Community Message Boards

Thread: How Long Do Dried Bread Crumbs Stay Fresh?

How Long Do Dried Bread Crumbs Stay Fresh?

I'm making an oven fried chicken dish tomorrow and want to use the Progresso Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs that have been in my pantry for about a year. Do bread crumbs go bad or should I use them anyway. I'm thinking about throwing them out and getting new ones......any advice?

Well, since no one else replied, I'll take a stab at it. I use the Progresso bread crumbs also and have never noticed them going bad. However, I do tend to go through a container over a period of a few months so they don't stay in the cupboard very long. If I was faced with your dilemna, I would give them the taste and sniff test. If they passed that, I would use them. If not, I would buy some more. Sorry I'm not much help! I hope your chicken comes out delicious either way!

Peggy

Claire,

I just looked at the can and there is a date on the bottom. Mine says 4/2003. I realize that is the date they are good until if they are never opened, however, it appears that they do stay fresh for quite a while in the unopened can. I would guess that yours are fine... but do taste and sniff first!

Peggy

Buy fresh and refrigerate what you don't use the next time. Vicky

I make my own in the food processor with left over pieces of bread and then I freeze them. I believe they last indefinitely that way.
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

They seem to smell okay but it's hard to tell. I should have kept them in the freezer. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but if I'm near the grocery store today I'll probably just pick up another can.