Community Message Boards

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!

Question Help!!!!!!!!

I am in charge of cooking DINNER for eight of my husbands co-workers next week, and I am CLUELESS as what to make@ ! If you guys have any awesome recipes , please share them with me!

thinking of simple hearty food for men.......... what about these options- appetizers: chicken wings, taco dip, wontons or even chips and homemade salsa / main meal: roast chicken, pork loin,
    teriyaki beef strips on the grill, veal or pork cutlets or chicken cordon bleu/ side dishes: scallop potatoes, twice baked, risotto or even mashed / dessert: cheesecake, kalua chocolate cake or mocha fudge pie. I have found in my entertaining that the men tend to rave about the basics and not so much about the more experimental fun decorative stuff. good luck

I made the honey-mustard pork tenderloin this week and it was very good. But for 9 men that could get a little pricey. A boneless pork loin would work. Maybe some garlic mashed or horseradish mashed potatoes. That's a start. Vicky

Is it a more formal occassion (like, for his boss)? Or, more of a casual get together with co-workers?

If its casual, you could always make a batch of chilli. There was a great chilli threat floating around last week and men love that stuff. You could also make it ahead!
    kim

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love." -Charlie Brown

I just thought I would point out that tina's initial request did not state that she was making dinner for eight men. just her husband and 8 co-workers.

Tina, give us an idea of the types of dishes you would like to see, and we can post some recipes for you.

Alternately, you can go to the Cooking Light Recipe Finder and browse recipes and reviews there. Two other websites that have both recipes and reviews are www.allrecipes.com and www.recipezaar.com

Valerie

thanks!

I am sorry, I totally forgot all the important stuff.Well theya re not ALL men.I think there is two other women.They are all meat-eaters, so I ( one veggie ) NEED a SUPERB recipe that you think will please them all.I have a recipe in mind already for the vegetarian, I am stuck on the others though! I need some suggestions by next Tuesday! THANKS! Thanks so much for the links too!

Smile the party

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kimmurphy94
    Is it a more formal occassion (like, for his boss)? Or, more of a casual get together with co-workers?

If its casual, you could always make a batch of chilli. There was a great chilli threat floating around last week and men love that stuff. You could also make it ahead!
    [/QUOT

It is actualy just a dinner party for his co-workers.They work late at night and someone came up with the idea of a different person making them all dinner every night, so they could save on eating out...So, I JUST NEED SOMETHING REALLY SUBERB, but not too difficult to make, or EXPENSIVE ! THANKS!

We tried Wendy's Merlot Pot Roast and it was delicious! I vote for that! Or here is one I like to serve to smaller dinner parties.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Pork Loin with Rosemary-Balsamic Glaze

Recipe By :Caprial Pence
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cloves garlic -- chopped
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 pound boneless pork loin
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

To prepare the glaze: Combine the garlic, rosemary, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over high heat, and bring just to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and cook 5 minutes longer, until the brown sugar has dissolved. Set aside.

To prepare the pork loin: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the pork loin well with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a very large ovenproof saute pan over high heat until smoking hot. Add the pork and sear well, about 5 minutes per side. Brush the pork liberally with the glaze, and set the pan in the oven. Roast the pork loin for 15 minutes, brush with more glaze, and continue roasting 15 to 20 minutes longer for medium doneness. Let sit about 3 minutes before slicing. Slice very thin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; 2g Fat (38.1% calories from fat); trace Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

My recommendation would be lasagna. You could make it ahead of time, tow perhaps, one with meat and one without. Serve it with some garlic bread and a nice tossed or ceasar salad. The great thing about it as well is that you don't have to spend the entire night in the kitchen, as you can do almost all of it ahead of time and just pop it in the oven!

If you want dessert, italian cookies with some ice cream, tiramisu, or canollis work well...

Good luck!