Community Message Boards

Thread: Light Basil Cream Sauce

Light Basil Cream Sauce

I'm an organic gardener and grow lots of fresh herbs in my garden. I am really craving a Basil Cream Sauce (for pasta). I am seeking one that has a very creamy texture but is low in fat. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
    -Mindy
    Houston, Texas

Bump
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

I don't have a recipe, but perhaps substituting half and half for the cream would work?
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

This originally called for 1/2 and 1/2, but I use 1% milk or half milk and half fat free half and half. It would work other pasta shapes too.

Raviole With Zucchini Walnut Sauce

9 oz fresh meat filled ravioli
    1 T salt
    1 T margarine
    1 T olive oil
    3 green onions
    4 oz shiitake mushrooms (or any mushroom)
    2 small zucchini, 6 inches long by 1 inch diameter
    1 CUP walnut pieces, about 4 oz.
    1 CUP fresh basil leaves
    ¾ CUP grated Parmesan cheese
    1 CUP milk
    Basil sprigs, for garnish
    4 t. walnut pieces for garnish

Fill a large pan with water and bring to a boil. Add salt and ravioli and cook according to package directions, about 5 minutes. Drain well.

Combine margarine and olive oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Chop green onions and slice shiitakes into thin slivers. When margarine and oil are hot, sauté onions, and shiitakes until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Wash zucchini, peel outer skin and cut in half lengthwise. Place in rectangular microwave dish with cover and cook on high 4 minutes.

Place walnuts, basil and cooked zucchini in food processor and process 20 to 30 seconds until course textured paste is formed. Add Parmesan cheese and mix again, about 4 seconds

Add zucchini mixture to mixture in skillet and heat through. Gradually stir in half and half. Cook 3-4 minutes until mixture bubbles. Sauce should have firm, not watery texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour equal amount of sauce on bottom of 4 dinner plates. Arrange ravioli in circle with one in middle. Garnish with few sprigs fresh basil and 1 t. walnut pieces per serving.
    So many recipies, so little time....