Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution for Cognac

Substitution for Cognac

I am planning to make the Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Mustard Sauce. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup cognac. What can I substitute for that? I would appreciate your suggestions.

Lynn

Brandy. Cognac is just high-end French brandy. If you don't have brandy, I'm stumped.

Thank you!

Cook's Thesaurus (www.foodsubs.com) also recommends armagnac as a substitute.

Thumbs up Great question!

Interesting thread!

I usually don't substitute. If a recipe calls for something and I don't have it, I buy it. Then I use what I need and... DRINK THE REST!!! <hic!>

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Being married to a man who spent a year working on a Cognac vineyard in France, I have received the Cognac- is- NOT - JUST -brandy story from him, from his French family, from all of the neighbors who also produce Cognac, from the tours of Martell and Remy Martin, the Cognac musuem in Cognac ad nauseum. I am compelled to share the love

All Cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is Cognac. Brandy is simply distilled wine. Cognac is grape brandy which is produced in the Cognac region, from specific grapes (ugni blanc), follows a strict distillation and storage protocol and claims the title of the finest of brandies.

Blah blah blah to me, who doesn't like the stuff neat (gasp), but we always some on hand and I DO like it in recipes- it certainly has a distinctive taste. If you are anal about such things the distinction could be important, as Grappa, Marc, Armagnac, Calvados, Metaxa are all brandies but of very different flavors/qualities. Armagnac would be the closest to Cognac.

There are also non-alcoholic subs (orange juice?), but Ralph's link should be all that you need.

More than you wanted to know?
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Wink SEE??!!!

That's why I just buy whatever the recipe says...

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

I made that exact recipe last night for v-day, and just used brandy. It turned out delicious!! Good luck!
    ...and so it goes