Community Message Boards

Thread: substitute for curds?

substitute for curds?

Cooking dilemma:

I have a recipe calling for curds. Is this something that I can buy? Don't think I have ever seen it in the store, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Are there any good substitutes that are more available?

Thanks,
    Kaija

Kaija--

The only curds I know of are cheese curds--very mild, irregularly shaped "byproduct" of the cheese industry. They squeek when you chew them--so I guess the texture is somewhat rubbery. The only place I have EVER seen them is in Wisconsin. IF this is what the recipe intends then a Colby cheese could probably be substituted.

What kind of recipe is it?

Weird. I can't imagine cooking with cheese curds (delicious as they are...mmmmmm...). BTW, you can get them in NC as well (Ashe County Cheese). Now I'm craving cheese curds like crazy. But I can't imagine what kind of curds your recipe calls for. Cottage cheese, maybe? That has curds in it.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Is it a cheese curd they're calling for or a fruit curd, like lemon, lime, etc? These are available in grocery stores in the jelly department or sometimes in the specialty section. They're a custard-y type sauce....made with eggs, sugar, citrus usually, are are rich and delicious. CL also has some lower-fat versions.
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

I LOVE cheese curds!! No one in Richmond even knows what I'm talking about...& so of course the local groceries do not carry it. I have to depend on a sister (who is from Upstate NY) to supply me when she visits. (I want a Wegmans!)
    They are so unique & salty tasting that I hesitate to even guess at what could be a good sub. My best guess would be mozerella (sp?) since they at least have sort of the same texture & mildness.
    I can't believe that none of my fellow recipe fiends hasn't asked you to post your recipe! Care to share?

Yes, it's cheese curds I need, not the lemon kind.

The recipe is for Stollen, a German Christmas cake, and the ingredient is pretty common in Germany. The person who translated it as "curds" may have been wrong, though! I wonder if something like mascarpone would work??

Hmmmm. Cottage cheese, now there's an idea...I could just filter out the fluid and use the chunks!! that will be my LAST resort!!

Kaija

What you are asking about is "quark". It is pretty much the same as cottage cheese pureed in a food processor (and draining it first would be a good idea), or farmer's cheese. Either one works.

Sounds like ricotta would work as well.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Interesting! The only time I had even heard of "curds" is from "Little Miss Muffett."

(You're right--It is "quark" that the recipe calls for.)

Thanks for the suggested substitutes! I'll try pureed cottage cheese or ricotta.

Kaija

p.s. I can certainly post the recipe if anyone else is interested in Christmas cake in February! I'll copy the recipe here as soon as I remember to. There is a form that it's baked in, but it may work in some other pan.

Quark

We have a great international grocery store in St. Louis called Global Foods, and that's the only place where I have seen quark. I think they have about 5 different varieties there. It's usually next to the ricotta and cottage cheese.