Community Message Boards

Thread: Where do you find quick-cooking barley???

Where do you find quick-cooking barley???

I have several recipies that call for the quick-cooking barley. In my grocery store I have only been able to find the standard pearl barley that requires a long cooking time.
    Where do you find quick-cooking and what brand is it????
    Thanks!

I think the brand I buy is Quaker, and I find it near all of the soups.

stacie99, I've never been able to find it either. It's so frustrating, since CL has been using it more and more. I've seen at least two or three recipes that I'd really like to try. Oh well, I'll keep looking!! (Good luck to you!)

I have always looked in the area with all the other beans and barley. Maybe it is located in the soup aisle in my store too, I will have to check tomorrow!! Thanks for the tip!

I have only found it once and it was at Whole Foods - but can't remember the brand. I went back last weekend and there wasn't any. :mad:
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

No Luck here in victoria either! But we often don't have ingredients you do so I feel beter that it isn't just a Canadian thing.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I also buy the Quaker brand. I believe that it actually comes in a small box. The pearl barley I have bought usually comes in a plastic bag. So be on the lookout for a box (sometimes it helps to know what you're looking for).

I got the Quaker Quick Cooking Barley at my regular grocery store. It's the only kind I found.

Anyways it was on the top shelf with the other grains. In a smally orange/yellow ish box. It was near the other boxed things like Polenta, risotto, couscous.

Good Luck

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I've found quick-cooking barley... Mother's brand in a tan box... in the natural foods section of our store.

After using both quick-cooking and regular barley, I have to agree with emilycat... regular barley both tastes better and has a great nutritional profile. I make regular barley in my pressure cooker now... shaves off a little less than half the cooking time (I think it's 25 min. instead of 45).

Well, I checked the soup area and had no luck. Now that I know it comes in a box I am going to have to make a trip back and see what I can find. At least this gives me something to look for!!
    Thanks