Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for molasses???

Substitute for molasses???

I WAS going to make the Gingerbread Cake with Blueberry Sauce today BUT I just discovered I don't have any molasses. Does anyone know of a substitute? I've already been to the store 2 times today!! It's been one of THOSE days--UGH!

Thanks,
    VJ

for something like a marinade, I'd say honey or maple syrup. I've never substituted anything for molasses in a gingerbread recipe. I'd think it will still taste great, but just won't have the classes gingerbread taste.

I recently made a bread recipe that said to use "either honey, molasses or maple syrup." So, hopefully you'll be ok (assuming you don't have to run to the store for honey :-)

Here's what our favorite resource, Cook's Thesaurus (www.foodsubs.com), has to say:

"molasses = treacle Pronunciation: muh-LASS-sis Equivalents: One cup = 8 ounces Notes: Sugar is made by extracting juice from sugar cane or sugar beets, boiling them, and then extracting the sugar crystals. Molasses is the thick, syrupy residue that's left behind in the vats. It has a sweet, distinctive flavor, and it's a traditional ingredient in such things as gingerbread, baked beans, rye bread, and shoofly pie. There are several different varieties. Light molasses = sweet molasses = mild molasses = Barbados molasses is taken from the first boiling. It's the sweetest and mildest, and is often used as a pancake syrup or a sweetener for beverages. Dark molasses = full molasses = full-flavored molasses is left behind after the juices are boiled a second time. It's less sweet but more flavorful than light molasses, and it's a good choice if a recipe simply calls for molasses. Blackstrap molasses comes from the third and final boiling. It's too strong and bitter for most recipes, and it's mostly consumed for its alleged nutritional benefits. Most of the molasses sold in supermarkets is unsulfured. Sulfured molasses has sulfur dioxide added as a preservative, and isn't as mild and sweet as unsulfured molasses. Food grade molasses is almost always made from sugar cane. Sugar beet molasses is very bitter and is mostly used as cattle feed or as a medium for growing yeast. When measuring molasses, grease the cup and utensils to keep molasses from sticking. If your molasses crystallizes while being stored, heat it gently to dissolve the crystals. After opening, you can store molasses in your cupboard.
    Substitutes: dark corn syrup OR maple syrup (works well in gingerbread cookies) OR honey OR barley malt syrup (weaker flavor; use 1/3 less) OR brown sugar (Substitute 1.5 cups brown sugar for every 1 cup molasses)"

Cook's Thesaurus is just where you need to go in times like this. Here is what they say about MOLASSES and suggested subs.
    molasses = treacle Pronunciation: muh-LASS-sis Equivalents: One cup = 8 ounces Notes: Sugar is made by extracting juice from sugar cane or sugar beets, boiling them, and then extracting the sugar crystals. Molasses is the thick, syrupy residue that's left behind in the vats. It has a sweet, distinctive flavor, and it's a traditional ingredient in such things as gingerbread, baked beans, rye bread, and shoofly pie. There are several different varieties. Light molasses = sweet molasses = mild molasses = Barbados molasses is taken from the first boiling. It's the sweetest and mildest, and is often used as a pancake syrup or a sweetener for beverages. Dark molasses = full molasses = full-flavored molasses is left behind after the juices are boiled a second time. It's less sweet but more flavorful than light molasses, and it's a good choice if a recipe simply calls for molasses. Blackstrap molasses comes from the third and final boiling. It's too strong and bitter for most recipes, and it's mostly consumed for its alleged nutritional benefits. Most of the molasses sold in supermarkets is unsulfured. Sulfured molasses has sulfur dioxide added as a preservative, and isn't as mild and sweet as unsulfured molasses. Food grade molasses is almost always made from sugar cane. Sugar beet molasses is very bitter and is mostly used as cattle feed or as a medium for growing yeast. When measuring molasses, grease the cup and utensils to keep molasses from sticking. If your molasses crystallizes while being stored, heat it gently to dissolve the crystals. After opening, you can store molasses in your cupboard.

Substitutes: dark corn syrup OR maple syrup (works well in gingerbread cookies) OR honey OR barley malt syrup (weaker flavor; use 1/3 less) OR brown sugar (Substitute 1.5 cups brown sugar for every 1 cup molasses)
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Ralph and Deanna--Thank you, thank you. I'm going to have to remember that reference the next time I need to substitute something!
    And Susan, it seems you were right on too.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my request.

I actually ended up going back to the store to pick up some molasses before you all wrote. But again, thanks. This BB is great!!

VJ

Oh how I wish I had thought to ask this question last week when I was halfway through making the one bowl one whisk molasses cake only to find I was out (and of course no time to go to the store!) Thank you Ralph for the info. I will probably not ever run out of molasses again (being the worrywort I am) but this is great information to know. I need to get in the habit of remembering that there is always someone on this board that can help! Thanks so much!