Community Message Boards

Thread: Garlic Skin Removal Pads/Tubes

Garlic Skin Removal Pads/Tubes

Does anyone have one of the little pads or the cannoli-like tube things that are supposed to remove garlic skin? Do they work?

Thumbs up

I've got one, and I love, love, love it.

I am a rather clumsy person, and not terribly good with my hands, so I love tools that help me do things like this. My tube cost about $7 at Williams-Sonoma -- you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere -- but I think it was worth every penny, because it used to take me forever to get that garlic peeled.

But I was taking an adult ed. class at a local cooking school recently, and one of the other students there gave me grief for using the tube -- he just smashed the clove and pulled the peel right off. But I can't seem to manage that.

To answer your question: yes, they work very well.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I got one as a freebie in the mail. They work, but I don't think I would buy one. I found that it is easier for me to get my flat jar opener that stays on top of the drawer and fold it over the garlic than to dig for the tube that always works it's way into some obscure place. If you use those little rubber sheets for gripping and opening jars, it will work the same way. If not, you might want to try the tube.

I have two kinds

I have the tube which works great - you can do more than one clove at a time. DOesn't work as well if the garlic is not round.

The other kind I have is like a giant lid opener that's in the shape of a head of garlic. Both work almost equally well...

I have one, but I tend to use the flat side of my knife more often... just smash the clove and slip the skin off. I think the key to doing this is to be really firm and give that garlic a good whack. I used to be very timid about it b/c I thought I might cut my hand on the knife, but now I don't have a problem. Place the garlic clove on the cutting board, and place the flat side of the knife blade, with the cutting edge facing away from you, on top of the clove. Place your palm on the blade and use your body weight to press down on the blade until you hear and feel the garlic "give". Then you should be able to pull the peel right off.

The tube does work, but I do find that if you do more than a few cloves, the skins stick to the inside of the tube, and additional cloves are harder to peel because there's no sticky surface free to "grab" the skin. You can run water through the tube to remove the skins, but then I have to fish the skins out of my sink drain (no garbage disposal).

Originally posted by Beth
    If you use those little rubber sheets for gripping and opening jars, it will work the same way. If not, you might want to try the tube.
    This is exactly what Alton Brown said on his garlic episode. Why pay so much more for the "tube" which is basically one of those jar openers rolled & glued together! Plus, I've always had some difficulty cleaning the skins out of those tubes.

Thanks!

What I don't like is getting the smell all over my hands.

The pad is $2.99 at one store and the tube is $7.00 at another store. I may just buy the pad and give that a try.

I have a peeler but find that it's easier to give the clove a good smack with the side my chef's knife. It crushes the garlic a little and makes it super-easy to mince and the skin pops right off. I only use the peeler when I need whole cloves.

P.S. $7.00 for a little piece of rubber is highway robbery!

I have a peeler that looks like a strange torture device. You put the clove in the tines and press and it takes the peel off. Unfortunately, this thing is very hard to clean.

I have the flat one shaped like a huge head of garlic and the tube. The flat one is hard to maneuver and you have to 'wrap' it around the clove first. The tube is awesome! Ralph, just rinse water inside to remove the skins every few cloves!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Hmmmmm. Now I'm torn. Maybe I will just get the tube.

Am I the only one here who gets those rubber sheets as give aways -- usually with some advertising on one side? I like free better than $2 or $7.

I have one of the tubes and also LOVE it. I use it every time I peel garlic, and just rinse it with water to remove the skins. I highly recommend them! Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

I'm another one who just smashes the clove w/ the flat side of my knife. (Of course I couldn't do this until I got myself a 10" chef knife a la Sara Moulton). Really feels good to whack 5 or 6 cloves & they are soooo easy to mince when they are already smooshed flat. You gota give this method a try before you go & buy something!

I have a tube that I really like, however, if I am only peeling one clove of garlic, it doesn't really seem worth it to go to the trouble of getting it out of the drawer.

If I have a lot of garlic to peel, I use my tube. DH hates the tube. He'd rather pick the skins off with his fingers. I don't really like garlic smell on me, but I guess he doesn't mind.

Also - if you're nervous about using your chef's knife for the smashing business (or just don't want to dirty it), then Alton recommended using a can of whatever (like canned tomatoes - 14 oz.). It's heavy, and the lipped bottom keeps the garlic from shooting out when you smash it. Works just as good as the knife, and since I'm so accident-prone, I actually prefer it.

Leightx

Cool

My cousin SWEARS BY that tubey thing. Thought I was daft for not wanting one.

Ye Olde Chef's Knife works fine for me, too-- but this thread has got me thinking. Between smashing garlic cloves and hacking chickens, maybe I have some unresolved issues..?

I'm definitely getting the tube. Hadn't had a chance to buy it yet, but it sounds worth the $7.00.

I have the pad type and LOVE LOVE LOVE it- I can't say it enough. I used to whack it with the side of the knife but then I read in a lot of places that this "bruises" the garlic, damaging the flavor. Whether I believe that or not, I don't know. However, I have used both the pad and the tube. I hate the tube but love the pad. The tube is difficult if the garlic isn't perfectly round, if it is a small glove, or (definately doesn't work!!) if the clove is elephant size or anything larger than about a nickle. The pad is wonderful because you just unroll it and fold it over a garlic, or two, or three and then just gently roll it back and forth. You will hear the garlic "give". Then you just slide the little clove out of the papery skin. I agree, the paper tends to stick sometimes on the pad, but I don't worry much about that, what's a little paper.
    p.s. Lechters or even walmart has them for cheaper, I would assume, than williams-sonoma. My little pad has textures on it for better grippage.

I take a can and pound it on the garlic cloves. Works every time.

I saw the tube advertised and decided that it was a waste of money for me.

Sami

Originally posted by Beth
    Am I the only one here who gets those rubber sheets as give aways -- usually with some advertising on one side? I like free better than $2 or $7.
    LOL, Beth. I was going to quote your first reply and agree whole-heartedly, and then I got to this one. I do not own a tubey thing, but I do have a couple of the round jar opener things that I got for free that always stay at the top of the gaget drawer because they are used so often. I tend to forget to use the round thing, though, and just use my chef's knife. I think both methods are easy and effective. And, while I am indeed a kitchen gadget sucker, I have my standards and I refuse to pay $7 for a tube of plastic!

Just used my new tube today. WOW! I love it. Why didn't I buy one of these things sooner? The skins come right off and my hands don't stink.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!