Community Message Boards

Thread: Making pizza dough ahead of time

Question Making pizza dough ahead of time

Can you make homemade pizza dough ahead of time? If so, how far in advance and what is the best way to store it?
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

We usually make enough for 2 crusts and since it is only the two of us we freeze one. We will just let it come up to room temp before rolling it out. Good luck.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Freezing pizza dough works well for me, too. I usually thaw my dough in the refrigerator overnight, and then let it sit in a bowl to come to room temperature/raise while I'm prepping the pizza toppings. (Sometimes, I think the frozen dough actually bakes to a crispier crust than the original, prepared dough. Sure tastes good!)

If you just want to make the dough the day before or earlier in the day, you can make it and let it rise in the refrigerator. Here are a couple of threads on doing that:

http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...+refrigerat%2A

http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...+refrigerat%2A
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I do it every other week! I make one recipe which makes two crusts. One I use on the Sunday I make it, the other I use the next Sunday (I make pizza every Sunday). Sometimes I freeze it, but I've never had a problem with keeping it in the fridge for a week, though it goes a little funky if you keep it any longer than that.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I make one and freeze one, too. I freeze it wrapped in plastic wrap loosely but completely so that it has room to expand as it rises, which it will a little even in the freezer before it freezes all the way. I've wrapped it tightly and then frozen it and sometimes it's expanded and stretched the plastic wrap to its limits.

In a pinch, I have thawed it out moments before use by microwaving the frozen dough on high for 1 minute. It doesn't "cook" it or anything, although I was nervous the first time I did it. Then knead a few minutes, shape and go!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.