Community Message Boards

Thread: Can You Cut Directly on a Pizza Stone?

Question Can You Cut Directly on a Pizza Stone?

I made pizza for the first time on my new pizza stone last night. The kit came with a pizza cutter that I assumed you could use directly on the pizza while it's sitting on the stone. My DH thinks otherwise. He thinks the cutter will cut the stone and possibly result in us eating shards of stone. Has anyone encountered this problem? I would really prefer to cut directly on the stone but will refrain if the shard-eating threat is real. What do you do?

Our solution last night was to cut almost through the pizza then rip each piece apart - a real pain when working with a hot stone & pizza.

It really depends on your stone. I have the Pampered Chef one and you can cut on it, but preheating it then putting cold food on it is a big no-no!

Other's you are supposed to preheat, but you can't cut on.

What brand is yours? What did your directions say? Maybe someone with the same one can help you.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

It's a "Stoneware Baking Brick" by Sassafrass Enterprises, made in China. The directions didn't say anything about whether you could cut on the stone.

Not knowing for 100% certain, I would guess the answer is no. It does seem to me that cutting into it repeatedly over time would weaken it, and you would likely be eating little shards of stone at some point. As I mentioned in other posts, I leave my stone on the bottom rack of my oven at all times, and transfer my pizza (or whatever) onto and off of the stone with a pizza peel. I put it onto my pull-out cutting board and cut on there. I can't even imagine trying to drag the heavy, hot stone out of the oven when the pizza was done. Besides, that stone stays hot for a LONG time, and would continue to cook the pizza after it came out of the oven. I definitely vote for taking it off the stone and cutting it on a board.

I found this info at www.sassafrasenterprises.com, which looks like the company that made your stone. At least you can e-mail them and ask.
    1622 W. Carroll Chicago, IL 60612
    Phone 312-226-2000
    Fax 312-226-0873

E-mail: info@sassafrasenterprises.com

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I have had a Pampered Chef pizza stone for 4 years and have always cut my pizza directly on it w/ the Pampered Chef pizza cutter I bought at the same time. The stone is great, but beware, cutting directly on the stone will considerably dull the pizza cutter. We just commented last night that we need to find a knife sharpener which will do the trick for our pizza cutter.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes

We always cut the pizza on the pizza stone, never thought
    otherwise, did so tonight. I'll pull out the directions...

Leigh - Thanks for the website! They certainly don't go into very much detail about their products. I'll email them and see what they say.

From what everyone has said, it seems that the best bet is to take the pizza off the stone or at least not cut all the way through while it's on the stone. That way you avoid ruining your pizza cutter and eating bits of stone. I never would have thought of this if my DH hadn't brought it up!!

Grace - The pizza stone came with a metal rack that you place under the stone while cooking the pizza. It has two handles that make it easy to lift the stone out of the oven, although it's pretty heavy.

Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know what the company says.

Veronica