Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing biscotti?

Question Freezing biscotti?

Hello,

I just made the double-chocolate chunk biscotti recipe that I got from an old thread, but now I'm not sure how I can make it last. I've read that you can freeze biscotti, but I'm wondering how much of the taste is lost. I'm having a dinner party in a little over a week, and I'm not sure if I should just let it go or try to freeze it. This is really dumb, but if I do freeze it, about how long will it need to defrost? I don't have a microwave, but could I speed up the process in the oven?

Gracias!

Freeze! Biscotti freeze really well. I freeze mine in a zip loc bag, and then take them out the day I'd like to serve them. No need to microwave; since biscotti are very dry, there is not a lot of liquid that freezes solid, so they are mostly just very cold. I actually eat them out of the freezer more than I should....they will come to room temperature in a few hours, though. If you have them on the counter at the beginning of a party, I PROMISE they will be fine by the time you serve coffee and biscotti!

Jen

Biscotti freeze wonderfully! I usually have several different kinds in my freezer all the time, and they last for several months in a ziplock, so you certainly won't lose any flavor in just a week. I often just eat them frozen, to tell the truth--but if you leave them at room temp for just an hour or two, they'll defrost just fine. You can always re-crisp them at 350 for 5-10 minutes if you think they've gotten a bit soft.

I have not froze biscotti but mine have kept mine in a well sealed tupperware or ziplock bag without any trouble.

Originally posted by Vanessa
    I have not froze biscotti but mine have kept mine in a well sealed tupperware or ziplock bag without any trouble.
    I'm with Vanessa! I know that biscotti do freeze well -- but I've never personally seen the need to freeze them. They last practically forever unfrozen! It's one of their greatest qualities!

Lynn

PS Mpuskar, exactly WHICH recipe did you make? Thanks!
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

PS Mpuskar, exactly WHICH recipe did you make? Thanks!
    I made the double-chocolate chunk biscotti recipe that I got from an old thread on biscotti. Let me know if you want me send the recipe or the thread. I made some slight modifications though since I haven't had much luck with very flavorable (is that even a word?) biscotti--mine often tastes very bland despite the addition of coffee, espresso, and/or hazelnut. This time around, I added an extra ounce of semi-sweet chocolate (calories be darned!) and used vanilla chips instead of a white backing bar. I also ended up cooking my biscotti a lot longer than the recipe suggested, practically an additional 30 minutes. The results, however, were biscotti that taste like fudge brownies you dip in coffee!