Community Message Boards

Thread: ground red pepper = cayenne pepper ?

ground red pepper = cayenne pepper ?

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me whether ground red pepper is the same as ground cayenne pepper. Cooks Thesaurus says:

cayenne pepper = ground red pepper = red pepper Pronunciation: ki-YEN Notes: Dried cayenne peppers are sold either whole, crushed (called red pepper flakes), or ground into a powder called cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper is fairly hot and has a smoky flavor. Substitutes: red chile powder (don't confuse with chili powder, a mixed seasoning) OR paprika (milder) OR red pepper flakes OR chili powder (contains other spices)

BUT...

Penzey's says that cayenne has 40k heat ratings while crushed red pepper has only 20k. And if they were the same, why do some recipes in cooking light call for one and some call for the other?

I guess my question is, if I use Cayenne pepper in spots where the recipe calls for ground red pepper, do I use the same amount to get the same heat, or do I use half? And if I use half, will I lose any flavor using cayenne instead of ground red pepper?

Sorry for all the questions, but any enlightenment this board could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Yep, it's the same thing. My bottle of cayenne even says "ground red pepper" in parenthesis.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Re: ground red pepper = cayenne pepper ?

Originally posted by LisaSch
    Hello all,

Can anyone tell me whether ground red pepper is the same as ground cayenne pepper. Cooks Thesaurus says:

BUT...

Penzey's says that cayenne has 40k heat ratings while crushed red pepper has only 20k. And if they were the same, why do some recipes in cooking light call for one and some call for the other?

cayenne IS the same as ground red pepper but NOT the same as crushed red pepper.

Cayenne/Ground Red Pepper: The rusty red powder that you find in spice jars. Spicy!

Crushed Red Pepper: The pepper flakes you find in jars at Italian restaurants. You can also buy them at Penzey's -- theirs are pretty good!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833