Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I return cheese?

Question Can I return cheese?

I bought a block of mozzarella from a local deli around March 6 or 7. The "best before" date was in early April. Yesterday I was rummaging through the fridge and I noticed that the cheese is totally moldy! It is unopened and has been in the fridge the whole time (and there doesn't seem to be a temperature problem with my fridge).

My question is, can I return this cheese to the store? It is still two weeks to the best before date and it is uneatable. I've never tried to return something like this so I'm not sure if it's acceptable or not.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
    Julie

not sure julie ...

technically you should be able to ... I imagine larger grocery stores would ... if its a small store they may give you a hard time ...

yp

I just recently returned some shredded mozerella to Giant (a big, chain grocery store). I've returned several items before and they've never given me a problem. They simply ask if I want my money back or to exchange it. I've never even had to show a receipt. I think you should go ahead and give it a try!

Good luck!
    Rindi

Yes...talk to the store! First of all, if there's a problem with their products, they need to know it. Maybe there are other people who have had the same problem. If it's still 2+ week before the "sell by" date and it's already moldy, I wouldn't have any problem at all going into the store and asking for a new block of cheese.

If you don't want to make the trip, then give them a call and ask. I have returned cheese before (without a recipt) and it has always been accepted. One time, I was not sure where I bought the cheese, and it was Kraft Chedder, I called Kraft and they sent me a coupon for free cheese.

I don't hesitate - it's my money I figure!

Thumbs up You betcha!

Julie,
    I just returned 2 big blocks of drunken goat cheese and a container of ricotta to Wegmans...no questions asked...although I know that "mold" can be scraped off of most cheese and the taste is not altered...the goat tasted very "funky" and the ricotta had mold inside the cellophane wrapper on top...I didn't even have the store receipt...most stores will stand behind the freshness of their products, at least that's been my experience...

~Gail H.
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Can't see why not...

Gouda luck! (Okay, I know it was mozzarella you bought, but I couldn't resist.)

Sure- I've done it before! I had a moldy package of Healthy Choice cheddar cheese and their cream cheese a few years ago--both from the same store, but at different times.

In addition to taking them back to the store, I called Healthy Choice because this particular grocery store was on the verge of closing and everyone had a lousy attitude....I pictured them just letting the perishables sit on the dock..anyway, they sent me about $20 worth of coupons for any of their products.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I second Suek's suggestion - if it's a national company that made the cheese (such as Kraft), call them as well as returning the cheese. Often you will get free coupons from them, because they're glad to know if there's been a problem with one of their products, so they can fix it. Usually, for every dissatisfied customer who calls, there are 99 more they never hear from!

This is coming from someone who will shamelessly try to return anything, but yep, they should let you return it --and don't let 'em give you any junk about it either.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I always keep the wrapper from the cheese, and YES, I RETURN IT TOO!! Trader Joe's block cheeses don't hold up too well!
    Also have return shredded nonfat cheese to Von's (Pavillions) which is really Safeway. No questions asked!
    Curleytop

Thanks for your encouragement...I am definitely going to bring it back to the store. Unfortunately, it is not a national product, so no hopes of getting free stuff!!

Natasha...you crack me up!!!

Julie

Julie - Good luck! I guess it's Provigo brand or something? Hey, actually, I'd put up with losing a few bucks on unusable cheese if I could buy:

David brand Strawberry Tarts
    a really, really good sugar pie
    some fresh cheese curds (okay, we get those here too, but they just taste better in Quebec)
    P'tit Quebec light cheddar
    Quebon ice cream (can't believe it was bought out by someone)
    crunchy Quebec MacIntosh apples (why do Quebec Macs taste the best?)
    Montreal bagels!!!
    almond croissants from that place on Maisonneuve (darn, I can't remember the name)

etc. etc. Lucky you! I used to live in Montreal and always have to pick up more than a few food items whenever I go back to Quebec.

Anyway, I hope they're reasonable at the store Bonne chance encore une fois!
    Natasha

Hi Natasha,

Actually, I got the cheese at La Veille Europe on St. Laurent. I've never had a problem with their stuff before. I'm going to return the cheese demain.

Aaaa...Montreal bagels. I'm leaving la belle province in the fall, and will definitely miss the bagels! Right now I'm on a count down to do everything I haven't done here. My friends were amazed and astonished to find I have never been to Cabane au Sucre, so that's where we're going this weekend! I understood it's true Quebecois food at its best. Can't wait!

Julie

Yes, yes, yes!

The grocer needs to know that there is a problem somewhere in their supply chain.

I used to have this problem on a regular basis with Healthy Choice shredded cheese from Publix. They refunded my money no questions asked....It seems Publix couldn't fix the problem and dropped the product.

Okay, Julie - you must let us know how Cabane a Sucre was!

Thanks, and have fun!
    Natasha